PDA

View Full Version : Another Cigarette Tax Increase Before the Voters

Ayatollahgondola
08-24-2010, 09:47 PM
OK, so we outlawed Boozxe and when the price of black market liquor supposedly drove the underworld into business, we legalized and taxed it. Now it looks like we may very well tax tobacco to the point we'll get the underworld back in business. How much would a ciggy be if this one passes?

IMPOSES ADDITIONAL TAX ON CIGARETTES FOR CANCER RESEARCH. INITIATIVE STATUTE. Imposes additional five cent tax on each cigarette distributed ($1.00 per pack), and an equivalent tax increase on other tobacco products, to fund cancer research and other specified purposes. Requires tax revenues be deposited into a special fund to finance research and research facilities focused on detecting, preventing, treating, and curing cancer, heart disease, emphysema, and other tobacco-related diseases, and to finance prevention programs. Creates nine-member committee charged with administering the fund. Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and local government: Increase in new cigarette tax revenues of about $855 million annually by 201112, declining slightly annually thereafter, for various health research and tobacco-related programs. Increase of about $45 million annually to existing health, natural resources, and research programs funded by existing tobacco taxes. Increase in state and local sales taxes of about $32 million annually. (09-0097.)

Kathy63
08-25-2010, 06:48 AM
Wasn't this tax proposed and passed last time? How many taxes on cigarettes are there and all supposed to be used for cancer research?

Ayatollahgondola
08-25-2010, 06:58 AM
This is a new one that will be on the ballot. Yes, we've already passed two, and rejected one I think. Someone thinks there's still money to be fleeced from smokers...after all, who's the victim?

Twoller
08-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Cigarette smokers should take a clue from smart pot smokers and start growing the stuff themselves. The seeds are available on the internet and it is completely legal to grow it yourself. Growing it is not complicated, but curing it is a little fussy. It is a fermentation process requiring high temperatures and humidity. Once you grow it and process it, you can't sell it without some kind of license from the government.

The cigarette model of taxation is a better model than alcohol for how to treat pot if that is legalized. Although, home grown pot is already well established in the consumer culture around marijuana.

Patriotic Army Mom
08-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Are you talking about growing pot or tobacco?

rs232c
08-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Who? What ballot?

Ayatollahgondola
08-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Who? What ballot?
who:N. Eugene Hill (916) 442-2952
Here's the info:
Pursuant to Section 9033 of the Elections Code, I hereby certify that on August 24, 2010, the certificates received from the County Clerks or Registrars of Voters by the Secretary of State established that the IMPOSES ADDITIONAL TAX ON CIGARETTES FOR CANCER RESEARCH. INITIATIVE STATUTE. (#1444), has been signed by the requisite number of qualified electors needed to declare the petition sufficient. IMPOSES ADDITIONAL TAX ON CIGARETTES FOR CANCER RESEARCH. INITIATIVE STATUTE. (#1444) is, therefore, qualified for the next statewide election

IMPOSES ADDITIONAL TAX ON CIGARETTES FOR CANCER RESEARCH. INITIATIVE STATUTE. Imposes additional five cent tax on each cigarette distributed ($1.00 per pack), and an equivalent tax increase on other tobacco products, to fund cancer research and other specified purposes. Requires tax revenues be deposited into a special fund to finance research and research facilities focused on detecting, preventing, treating, and curing cancer, heart disease, emphysema, and other tobacco-related diseases, and to finance prevention programs. Creates nine-member committee charged with administering the fund. Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and local government: Increase in new cigarette tax revenues of about $855 million annually by 201112, declining slightly annually thereafter, for various health research and tobacco-related programs. Increase of about $45 million annually to existing health, natural resources, and research programs funded by existing tobacco taxes. Increase in state and local sales taxes of about $32 million annually. (09-0097

Twoller
08-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Cigarette smokers should take a clue from smart pot smokers and start growing the stuff themselves. The seeds are available on the internet and it is completely legal to grow it yourself. Growing it is not complicated, but curing it is a little fussy. It is a fermentation process requiring high temperatures and humidity. Once you grow it and process it, you can't sell it without some kind of license from the government.

The cigarette model of taxation is a better model than alcohol for how to treat pot if that is legalized. Although, home grown pot is already well established in the consumer culture around marijuana.

Are you talking about growing pot or tobacco?

I am talking about growing tobacco, of course.

rs232c
08-26-2010, 01:47 PM
I think you mean california, ok.

maggieb60
09-16-2010, 12:44 PM
I was told cigarettes in New York at $11.00 a pack , so many go to the reservation , now the state is after them. :mad:

Patriotic Army Mom
09-17-2010, 07:14 AM
This bugs me greatly. I smoke and at my age, the tar is holding me in one piece. I don't drink or take drugs. Never ran over anyone with a cigarette. That doesn't justify my habit.

PochoPatriot
09-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Former smoker here, so take what I say with a huge grain of salt; tax them till they don't smoke any more. I currently live in Glendale, and one of the best things this city did was pass a smoke-free ordinance for outside cafe/restaurant seating. Now, I can go to Starbucks or the Maryland Exchange and NOT have to inhale second-hand smoke being expelled from Armos that do nothing all day but nurse one cup of coffee, chain smoke and hatch insurance fraud schemes.

Ayatollahgondola
09-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Former smoker here, so take what I say with a huge grain of salt; tax them till they don't smoke any more. I currently live in Glendale, and one of the best things this city did was pass a smoke-free ordinance for outside cafe/restaurant seating. Now, I can go to Starbucks or the Maryland Exchange and NOT have to inhale second-hand smoke being expelled from Armos that do nothing all day but nurse one cup of coffee, chain smoke and hatch insurance fraud schemes.

This is why these schemes work though. A small minority violating a pet peeve of enough people become a stepping stone for more taxes that will in turn just be used against everyone. Once the establishment gets the income from this, they use it to build bureaucracies that use the money to beat you down on other issues. Do you know who is in charge of all the money they got through the previous taxes on ciggies?