PDA

View Full Version : Thomas: Illegal immigration enforcement campaign priority

Jeanfromfillmore
04-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Thomas: Illegal immigration enforcement campaign priority
PHOENIX -- Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas announced Thursday he will resign to run for Attorney General of Arizona.

Thomas said in a news release that April 6 will be his last day in office.

He posted a campaign video on an "exploratory committee" Web site.

Thomas, a Republican, will run as a "Clean Elections" candidate. He says he has already collected "thousands" of signatures.

Thomas first ran for Maricopa County Attorney in 2004 on a platform to "Stop Illegal Immigration," according to the news release.

On Friday, he said illegal immigration enforcement will be his top priority during his campaign.

"That's one of the reasons why I'm running for attorney general. My legal authority does not extend to the Mexican border at this point. It will if I'm attorney general and I believe once I'm in that position I will be able to take appropraite steps to deal with the border crisis," said Thomas.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has reportedly endorsed Thomas' run for Attorney General. Arpaio is known for his strict policy on illegal immigration.

Thomas stated that "recent events have made clear the need for strong leadership statewide in the fight against crime and illegal immigration."

Under state statutes, it is up to the Board of Supervisors to appoint an interim county attorney. That person will serve until a new county attorney is elected in a special election which will take place in November.

An interim County Attorney could be named as early as April 16.

In his resignation letter, Thomas asked that Governor Jan Brewer make the appointment because he feels a conflict of interest would prevent the Board of Supervisors from choosing his successor.

Thomas expected to meet with his staff on Thursday to coordinate the transition.

Thomas will run against state Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Horne and Phoenix Attorney Tajudeen Oladiran in the Republican primary.

"Andrew Thomas has been an embarrassment and shame to Arizona as County Attorney. A court recently found that he prosecuted people for political advantage and for political retribution. He pursued endless losing political lawsuits that cost taxpayers millions of dollars, that will cost millions more as the victims of false charge sue, and Thomas is now the subject of a criminal investigation. Thomas has demonstrated that he has neither the temperament or judgment to be AG," said Horne, in a written statement.

There are three Democratic candidates for Attorney General including House Democratic Leader David Lujan; former Assistant Attorney General Vince Rabago; and Felecia Rotellini, former Assistant Attorney General and former director of the Arizona Department of Financial Institutions.

All three Democratic candidates issued a joint statement regarding Thomas' announcement saying:

"It's rather fitting this was announced on April Fool's Day. After forcing Arizonans to endure his costly and ethically bankrupt legal battle with county officials, Andrew Thomas now has the nerve to ask voters for a promotion. He talks as if he's tough on crime, but his actions reveal a politician who cares more about pursuing his own political vendettas than about keeping our streets safe from violent criminals. Arizonans want their law-enforcement officials to spend tax dollars wisely and keep criminals off our streets. Andrew Thomas has failed on both counts."
http://www.abc15.com/content/news/phoenixmetro/central/story/Thomas-Illegal-immigration-enforcement-campaign/B8tqYL_lnk2XTMOBUyEEBA.cspx