Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > General Discussion

General Discussion Topics of a general nature not relative to any other specific section here

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 09-26-2011, 03:55 PM
SOS Associate

Default Glenn Spencer Berates The Un-employed?

this was on Glenn Spencer's site today. I'm normally a big fan, very trusting of his statements, and grant him wide leeway. But this I just don't get:

Quote:
How to get a job
I do all American Border Patrol's video work. That includes editing using Apple's Final Cut Pro. I recently produced a Podcast. I learned how to do it at Lynda.com -- a Web site that trains people on how to use just about any kind of software. If I can do it -- well into my retirement age -- what is stopping millions of people from learning the skills they need online? I say nothing. We should not pay unemployment any longer than it takes someone to find what skills are in demand and then get them –
Are there numerous opportunities I'm not aware of out there?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:56 PM

Do you have a link to that quote?

It's amazing how isolated people can be from a problem and still profess authority on the subject. Not only must you have a computer to look for jobs on line, you must have an internet connection. All this costs money and takes a bit of no-how too. And if you want to learn software, you must also have the software. A lot Adobe's software costs a lot more than your average computer.

And, of course, nobody is going to hire you from some internet set all by itself.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:43 AM

Default Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
this was on Glenn Spencer's site today. I'm normally a big fan, very trusting of his statements, and grant him wide leeway. But this I just don't get:

Are there numerous opportunities I'm not aware of out there?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

Apparently YES !

There are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, this subject is quite complex.

Relating my own life, I'm now retired for several years. As a Young Guy I was always a very good worker with a very strong ethnic. After working in the USA for a few years, and a stint in the Navy, I went overseas and worked for 14 years in South America, Asia and Africa. When I came home I settled in the New York area in 1970. Worked for a major manufacturer for 10 years. Then got downsized in the recession. Reapplied for other jobs and went through three employers long term and two for a short time. I applied for jobs all over the USA and even overseas including the United Nations. As good fortune would have it I always found jobs in the New York area and stayed in the same house - 41 years now. It as tough but fortunately my resume and experience was impressive enough that three major employers actually let people go to give their job to me.

There are plenty of jobs now all around the New York metropolitan area. But some require a college degree, some are in skilled nursing, some are unskilled, low wage. Many unemployed do not have the skills or education to fill many openings. A person who is really desperate may have to relocate !

There are presently many Federal jobs available. UPS was hiring. The Border Patrol is hiring.

Here's the Monster.com website. http://promotions.monster.com/keywor...mc_n=olmsrchtm

I entered "sales" in the Monster job search, and Sacramento, Ca, and came up with 580 sales rep openings.

Then "mechanic" 15 openings.

23 truck driver jobs in Sacramento

538 school bus driver

189 project manager jobs.

24 accountant jobs.

313 nursing jobs

134 data entry jobs - IN Sacramento.

Law enforcement - 15

Security guard - 17

Fast food - 10

Carpenter - 3

Farm worker - 10

To land a job a person needs a resume and some skills or profession.

I think what Glenn Spencer was saying is that some people may need to re-train. I think also subliminally he may be thinking that too many unemployed are too comfortable receiving an unemployment check and may not even be trying.

Last edited by wetibbe; 09-27-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:24 AM

For all those saying how the unemployed would rather loaf on unemployment than work, I would just say "Try it". After I got my first job until retirement, I never loafed on unemployment. We have to keep in mind, that was a long time ago.
I wish the best to the unemployed however, just remember how some states such ad Utah want to bring in illegals and other non citizens to bring life to some towns. Michigan is into that also. Then, a few days ago I was reading about China buying land in Ohio.
I am wondering how those families are going to make it if there are no jobs there now. I am also wondering what China plans to do with the land in Ohio. So many questions need to be answered.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:02 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetibbe View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

Apparently YES !I entered "sales" in the Monster job search, and Sacramento, Ca, and came up with 580 sales rep openings.

Then "mechanic" 15 openings.

23 truck driver jobs in Sacramento

538 school bus driver

189 project manager jobs.

24 accountant jobs.

313 nursing jobs

134 data entry jobs - IN Sacramento.

Law enforcement - 15

Security guard - 17

Fast food - 10

Carpenter - 3

Farm worker - 10

To land a job a person needs a resume and some skills or profession.

I think what Glenn Spencer was saying is that some people may need to re-train. I think also subliminally he may be thinking that too many unemployed are too comfortable receiving an unemployment check and may not even be trying.
There's not much in here for the re-trained. 10 fast food job openings in this sized county? That's dismal for that field. Likewise for carpenter. But sales isn't necessarily a "job". It's often pretty much like self-employment with the restrictions of a boss. While sales might be somewhat of a "job", it isn't necessarily an income. A lot of sales jobs are just an opportunity for the wholesaler to get a bunch of schmoes to sell a substandard product or service to an unreceptive or even resistant public. You might as well be a politician with a tax and spend or amnesty stance
I found no real "school bus driver" jobs. All of those lead to long haul driver, team driver, and commission based route sales driver. Long haul driver is a short haul to divorce court. If you're a long haul driver, you're a transient. Team driver is dangerous and unnerving. They might assign you to a truck with a mexican or hashibab who smells like curry and plays oompah music for hours. While you're asleep in the cab, your partner might be falling asleep at the wheel, or doing 100 mph in rainy slick conditions.
Only 10 farmworker jobs open? really? this is the harvest season..... Must be that all the farmworker jobs are only advertised in S-pan-yol Monster.
But that said, there are thousands of applicants out there in Sac looking for jobs that require some level of training or education, including my wife who is now "re-educated". I can tell you it is more than just abysmal out there as far as prospects go. Glenn might be seeing something we don't see, and he might be a bit insensitive this time.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:05 AM

The job situation is abysmal. I'm a great fan of Glenn Spencer, but I think he missed the boat on this one.

Americans are truly suffering. I have heard that 80% of the new jobs supposedly created by George W. Perry in Texas went to various immigrants, not to Americans.

I've seen ups and downs in the economy over my life, but I have never seen it like this. Never. I hate to sound like a liberal, but Spencer is blaming the victim here.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:24 AM

Default Interject -----------------------------

A little bit further to what I said: I too agree that the job situation is abysmal. And the time has long since past for the Obama administration to keep blaming Bush. The Democrat policies put the economy in the tank and BHO just isn't smart enough or experienced enough to fix it.

However, going back years economist Milton Friedman was the proponent of outsourcing American manufacturing, turning the USA into a consumer nation of cheap goods and anyone who reads what he proposed knows that his proposal included "re-training" American workers.

The shoe industry went overseas, then textiles, then television, then furniture, computers, appliances, toys, home products and just about everything else. American manufacturers closed shop in the USA and went to Mexico and China.

NAFTA free trade bankrupt hundreds of thousands of small Mexican farmers so the migrants just crossed over and came North. So jobs went out and foreigners came in. And Wal-Mart, GE, Westinghouse and GM are still doing the same old, setting up in China. The present Obama debacle is just one component. This present dilemma just didn't happen in a couple of years. It as building for a long time. Just look at the population increase charts in the last 100 years also. Swarms of job seekers increasingly competing every day.

Present day unemployed have a choice: Take menial, undesirable jobs or re-train.

I posted elsewhere that Obama is likely to be a one term President and every day it looks more and more like it will happen. There won't be any relief until that really does happen.

Last edited by wetibbe; 09-27-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:11 PM

I like Glenn Spencer very much!
But he is human and we humans are just not right all the time. Part of being a human being.
But I will never forgive Glenn for endorsing George W. Bush for President.
That was not a good choice and I listened to him.

I now do my own thinking about who to vote for.

Glenn is not always right.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:18 AM

Default Sorry Guys -----

I'm sticking with Glenn Spencer.

My interpretation of his opinion isn't dis-ing the unemployed, it is rather some attempt to offer beneficial advice. Of course I may have a different interpretation but I do see merit to his comments that do apply to - "SOME" - unemployed if not all.

I'm prolonging this thread because I think it is very important. On a personal basis I have two grandsons now in their early 20's who are struggling massively to survive. And a Granddaughter who just graduated from SUNY State University of New York, Binghamton, made the Deans list, had a 3.7 average and THREE major degrees simultaneously. She wants to go on to law school but is now trying to work to earn some money and she is having a hard time. She is presently employed by her father, my son, in one of his enterprises, and living a home.

Since I understand so well the trials and tribulations of seeking and securing a suitable job, I want to try and help somewhat. Here is one of MANY websites offering help and advice including developing a resume.

http://www.how-to-write-a-resume.org/

A good resume, letters of recommendation from former employers and intelligent interviews are vital.

The applicant can't go to an interview looking like some hippie, with an Apache hair cut, covered with tattoos, earrings and lip rings using Ebonics and bad grammar.

The job seeker may not find something that is in his/her field and that may seem menial and undesirable. But take it from me from fist hand experience, I have tried to help others and their attitudes were, to say the least, disappointing, indolent, lackluster, lazy, indifferent and lacking in strong motivation. The long term results were a disaster personally for those that I knew. They simply did not have the mental capacity nor motivation to succeed.