Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > General Discussion

General Discussion Topics of a general nature not relative to any other specific section here

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 10-30-2011, 06:03 PM

Default Petition drive to repeal the "Dream Act"

Petition drive to repeal California "Dream Act"

Jean from Filmore and I did a petition drive in Santa Clarita on Sunday 10-29 outside of a local Vons store. We feel it was pretty successful, we got about 100 signatures on that day. We will be doing it again next Sunday and hopefully we will get another 100 signatures.

Please let us know how your efforts are going.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:02 PM
SOS Associate

Good news Greg!.
First time out and you broke the 100 level. If we had money for incentives, you'd be getting an American made knock-off of a Swiss Army knife. But alas! we are poor and you'll have to settle for smiles and hopefully getting your state back.

Good job to the both of you. Hope you didn't work Jean too hard out there. She still has night watchman duties here too you know
Old 10-30-2011, 08:23 PM

Jean was a huge help. Besides getting the actual petitions, she provided on the job training on how to get your point across fast, and
She also saved me from an instigator. Thanks Jean

Vons was also real nice to us by allowing us to their store. I will have to go in next time and give them a special thank you.

I told Jean this was a real eye opener to interact with the actual public and see how they feel about this issue. There is a lot of support for our cause in Santa Clarita, but it wasn't exactly an easy sell. Santa Clarita is a fairly conservative place for California, but I can safely say that only 1 out of 10 of the people that we approched really understand the problem or want to be bothered with the issue. Ambivalence reigns. I can only imagine how hard this task must be in most areas of California.

I found the whole experience very educational...and I learned a lot.

Overall I feel somewhat satisfied.

Last edited by Greg in LA; 10-30-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:14 PM

I learned some other things as well.

Costco,would have overwhelmed us as they are way too busy.

Trader Joes, wouldn't have been good...way too many liberals shop there.

White middle age Blue collar (non rif-raff type)guys and woman in their 70's rule!
Those are the ones that seem to me to be the most willing to get involved, or were willing to sign the recall petition.
The older women really got the issue personally, as several of these women related to me the difficulties their grandkids were having with their tuition.

I should mention that we did have many types that signed the petition, including young women,middle age moms, blacks, a few asians. We even had two self identified white "liberals", who were willing to sign the recall petition. One of those stated that "I am pretty liberal, but I don't like this" (state payed financial aid for illegals).

The overall ambivalence (not wanting to be bothered),was the most notable thing that I saw. One guy from from Upland who was a very enthusiastic petition signer, summed up the situation that we are in the best when he related to me, "California is a state full of sheep"!

Last edited by Greg in LA; 10-30-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:28 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in LA View Post
I learned some other things as well.

The overall ambivalence (not wanting to be bothered),was the most notable thing that I saw. One guy from from Upland who was a very enthusiastic petition signer, summed up the situation that we are in the best when he related to me, "California is a state full of sheep"!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
Old 10-31-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Vons was also real nice to us by allowing us to their store. I will have to go in next time and give them a special thank you.

I told Jean this was a real eye opener to interact with the actual public and see how they feel about this issue. There is a lot of support for our cause in Santa Clarita, but it wasn't exactly an easy sell. Santa Clarita is a fairly conservative place for California, but I can safely say that only 1 out of 10 of the people that we approched really understand the problem or want to be bothered with the issue. Ambivalence reigns. I can only imagine how hard this task must be in most areas of California.
Gee, Thanks for that report. My idea was that we would go door to door to collect signatures. I lost two of my signatures, get this, because I said "you can not hire a gardner who is not hispanic". I still stand by that statemant. Is that not the truth?

There is a pavillion near me so when I get my petitions I will try them out but, I will be alone as usual.
Wish me luck.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 AM

I signed a petition at Sierra off of the 15. Ray Herrera was collecting them. Wanted to stay and help but had family waiting for me. He said that in Upland they got a few hundred.
Some people are afraid their name will go on a hit list. At least that's my feeling about it. Great job to all of you out there trying to save a piece of our country.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Jean and I were out in front of Vons again this Sunday to collect signatures. We got around a hundered signatures.

Please let us know how your efforts are going or if you are seeing any action or efforts in your area.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:12 PM
SOS Associate

Glad to hear you guys made it out again.

I've been occupied with the first work gig I've had in...well, months. I just have some truck unloading to do tomorrow, and then I'll be off to do some weekday signature collection gigs with the mobile billboard.

Thanks for going out on sunday
Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 PM

Good luck Ayatollah! I'll be looking for your billboard. Congratulations also on your work.