Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Priority Topics Section > Immigration

Immigration Topics relating to the subject of US Immigration

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Archer

Default Charities checking kids' status before distributing toys

Some toy drives check immigration status
By Jeannie Kever
The Houston Chronicle, November 30, 2009
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/6746254.html

They don't claim to know who's been naughty or nice, but some Houston charities are asking whether children are in the country legally before giving them toys.

In a year when more families than ever have asked for help, several programs providing Christmas gifts for needy children require at least one member of the household to be a U.S. citizen. Others ask for proof of income or rely on churches and schools to suggest recipients.

The Salvation Army and a charity affiliated with the Houston Fire Department are among those that consider immigration status, asking for birth certificates or Social Security cards for the children.

The point isn't to punish the children but to ensure that their parents are either citizens, legal immigrants or working to become legal residents, said Lorugene Young, whose Outreach Program Inc. is one of three groups that distribute toys collected by firefighters.

'It's not our desire to turn anyone down,' she said. 'Those kids are not responsible if they are here illegally. It is the parents' responsibility.'

The idea of a charity turning away children because of decisions made by their parents unsettled some immigration activists.

'It is very disturbing to think a holiday like Christmas would be tainted with things like this,' said Cesar Espinoza, executive director of America for All, a Houston-based advocacy group. 'Usually, people target the adults because the adults made the decision to migrate, where the children are just brought through no fault of their own.'

Other groups don't require specific documentation, relying instead on outside groups to recommend families.

'When you distribute toys to 10,000 to 12,000 kids, it's impossible to background (check) every child,' said Fred Joe Pyland, a Houston police officer who oversees the Blue Santa program. Blue Santa doesn't consider immigration status but collects names from police officers, schools and churches.

Those who do check immigration status or other qualifications say they are trying to ensure they make the best decisions about whom to help.

'We want to be good stewards, so the people that are donating to us trust we're going to do the right thing,' said Sonya Scott, manager of care ministries at West Houston Assistance Ministries. The group does not check immigration but requires identification, including birth certificates for children, and proof of income.

It has registered 686 children to provide with gifts this year, up from 613 last year.

At the Salvation Army, 30,000 children have registered for the Angel Tree program, which allows children to request the gifts they want most. That's up 20 percent from last year, spokesman Juan Alanis said.
Gifts for all children

Alanis and Young say they will serve families if the children are here legally, regardless of the parents' status. The Salvation Army provides gifts for all children in the family if one sibling is a citizen.

The Outreach Program requires parents to show photo identification and birth certificates or Social Security cards for the children. Young said she makes an exception if parents can show they have applied for legal status or that a child is enrolled in school.

Alicia White, a spokeswoman for the Fire Department, said it is up to each group distributing toys to decide how to do so. The other groups giving out toys collected by firefighters — Catholic Charities and the Hispanic Firefighters Caucus— do not ask about immigration status.

Participants in the Houston Chronicle's Goodfellows toy drive were selected by the Texas Health and Human Services Commission, chosen from those with children between the ages of 2 and 10 who receive food stamps, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families and Medicaid. People who aren't legal residents don't qualify for those services, but others in their household may.
Pre-registration closed

Most local toy drives are no longer accepting applications, although the Outreach Program doesn't pre-register recipients, so families needing gifts for their children will line up Dec. 23 at 1305 Benson.

One of the season's first big toy distribution events will be Saturday at the George R. Brown Convention Center, when 2,520 children from 63 area elementary schools will be treated to gifts by Navidad En El Barrio.

Israel Gomez, a retired Houston police officer who runs the program, said the kids are asked to donate one can of food.

Navidad En El Barrio draws participants from schools with a high percentage of students who qualify for free lunches.

For programs that select recipients themselves, deciding what documentation to require can be tricky. Alanis said the Salvation Army traditionally has required photo identification and proof of income and legal residency to ensure help reaches those most in need and to prevent people from registering at multiple Salvation Army locations.

Catholic Charities doesn't ask for proof of income or immigration status. But it does require identification and birth certificates to ensure people actually have the number of children they claim, spokeswoman Julissa Guerrero Chappell said.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:39 PM

Thumbs up This needed to be done a loooong time ago!!!

GOOD!!! IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!

That's the MAIN REASON I quit giving to Toys for Tots and to the Salvation Army over 5 years ago. I noticed the majority of the people receiving the gifts were illegals or their anchor babies!! Sorry, but I was taught that it's your duty to take of your own first and foremost. Once that's done, then you can take care of others.

That's the philosophy that made this nation great and a beacon of hope for the rest of the world.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:45 PM

Alanis and Young say they will serve families if the children are here legally, regardless of the parents' status. The Salvation Army provides gifts for all children in the family if one sibling is a citizen. quote

Again, rewarding the illegals for having an anchor baby. Until all these illegals are out of this country, we secure the border and this whole country, I refuse to support any of these programs. I don't care if their Christmas was miserable, the illegals have created a miserable Christmas for many of our citizens. If they're so miserable then they should go back to their own country and see what they can get for free there. It's their countries responsibility to care for these people and their children.

Give those toys to our vets families.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:00 PM

That still makes 'em JACK POT BABIES!!! And it still encourages them to come here and drop several for the free rides they can get for having at least one in the family!!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Oath Keeper

At least somebody is checking citizenship, I never thought it would be charities though....
Old 12-01-2009, 08:12 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingfool View Post
At least somebody is checking citizenship, I never thought it would be charities though....
We will be soon.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
We will be soon.
sign of a champion!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:06 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWHBLCAIN View Post
sign of champion(s)!
had to fix that...
Old 12-02-2009, 12:46 PM

I've been very vocal about this for a couple of years. No matter what we have had, it's always been more then some else. At the girls schools, church, along my way where ever I go, it's if any of this is going to illegals, I'll keep my donation. I've also written a few that used to send me mail asking for donations. We've got too many Americans needing stuff. One year on the TV I watched who was sputtering in Spanish about how great all the free toys were. Wild is not even the word you could have pinned on me. We have a poor man's box ready to put in our car, so that the girls and I can find a homeless American and bring some Christmas cheer to them.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Archer

Default Local Salvation Army asks for proof of residence in toy giveaways

Local Salvation Army asks for proof of residence in toy giveaways
By Veronique Masterson
The KVIA News (El Paso, TX), December 1, 2009
http://www.kvia.com/Global/story.asp?S=11602889

El Paso, TX - Requirements for those getting help from one local organization have some folks wondering if this is an immigration check rather than helping those in need this holiday season.

Typically, the holidays bring about thoughts of thanks and the joys of giving.

'I'm always donating, at least three times a year,' said Tracy Grant while shopping at Bassett Place.

Despite the selflessness of some, this year officials say donations are low.

This season more than 600 families signed up for assistance with the Salvation Army in El Paso.

More than 1,600 are children asking for toys, like skateboards or scooters.

Captain Keith Bottjen with the Salvation Army said, 'The people who are coming in, they're truly needy and it's good to be able to help.'

Their wishes are hung on trees at malls and stores around the city.

There is, however, a catch not many know about.

'Unfortunately, due to grants and other restrictions we have to go a little farther and prove residence and stuff like that,' Bottjen said.

Salvation Army officials say this is not an issue of immigration. They only need to know if the children getting the toys live here.

'It is a difficult thing to decide because when people come in and they need help and you're looking at the kids and you're looking at the need and you're fulfilling the need,' Bottjen explained.

A child's social security card, birth certificate, or his or her report card is all that's needed.

But some, like shopper Tracy Grant, say it's not fair.

'Just help the kids no matter what, I think,' Grant said. 'Don't you think so?'

The intention isn't to take away the spirit of Christmas, just to keep the donations in El Paso.

The Salvation Army also verifies the immigration status of anyone who comes to their shelter.

To make a donation or volunteer for the Salvation Army call them at 544-9811.