Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > The Media

The Media Topics and information relating to the Media (publications, television, press, first amendment issues, etc) of interest to SOS Associates and Users

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 02-08-2010, 07:28 AM

Default I'm back! McIntyre

"It's great to be back on the air," Doug McIntyre said in response to the news that "Red Eye Radio" returns to KABC/790 AM starting Feb. 8, midnight to 3 a.m.

The new show will be national so expect to hear a bit less about local issues. Still, McIntyre told LARadio.com's Don Barrett, "I think any good story has dynamics whether it is in Los Angeles or New York. It is about good storytelling. Everything relates to everybody. But there is a challenge of not getting deep-dish to such arcane stuff that, frankly, shouldn't even be on locally.

Doug McIntyre returns with "Red Eye Radio" starting
Feb. 8 on KABC/790 AM.
He will be on midnight to 3 a.m. weekdays.

Doug McIntyre's 'Red Eye Radio' returns to KABC

"I will find the balance but I don't want to over-correct. The last thing this country and this industry needs is another talk show host prattling on about healthcare. We just don't need it. We had it all day long," he said.

McIntyre will do the show live for WABC-AM in New York starting at 10 p.m. from the KABC studios in Los Angeles. It will be tape-delayed for airing here at midnight.

McIntyre did "Red-Eye Radio" before he did morning drive. It won raves for being hip and fun, a show that was as entertaining as well as informative. He was replaced by Peter Tilden last year.

KABC program director David G. Hall is glad to have him back for overnights. Recalling his days at KFI-AM, he told Barrett, "I used to hate to compete with this show. It had huge ratings and an audience that was way above average in its loyalty. (It) is a fabulous program and a terrific alternative to UFO and ghost shows."
Old 02-08-2010, 07:39 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Glory View Post
""I will find the balance but I don't want to over-correct. The last thing this country and this industry needs is another talk show host prattling on about healthcare. We just don't need it. We had it all day long," he said.."
What the hell???
Old 02-08-2010, 08:41 AM

McIntyre was really wired into LA corruption and dysfunctionalism in his early morning drive time show. I suspect that's why he was sacked. Now they've got him on at midnight? Sorry, I sleep at night and so do most other people.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
McIntyre was really wired into LA corruption and dysfunctionalism in his early morning drive time show. I suspect that's why he was sacked. Now they've got him on at midnight? Sorry, I sleep at night and so do most other people.
I guess I'm not most other people. Midnight would work fine for me, except that I can't get many radio stations in the valley that I live in. Some of us night owls get a lot done after midnight.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
I guess I'm not most other people. Midnight would work fine for me, except that I can't get many radio stations in the valley that I live in. Some of us night owls get a lot done after midnight.
Listen live, on your computer!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Glory View Post
Listen live, on your computer!
Ya, I know about that, Frank told me about Radiolive. But I'm usually so busy with so many other things I have little time to listen. I'll make an effort.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:52 PM

Just in the last year, we've seem to have lost many 'conservative' type talk radio host, or one's that spoke against illegal immigration.

Al Rantel
Kevin James
Larry Elder
Doug McIntyre
Bill O'Reilly
John Zeigler

I'm wondering if it had to do with economic reasons or the issues of focus?

I liked McIntyre, I'm glad he's back, but I'll ever here him because of his new time slot.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:43 PM
"SZinWestLA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMyOwn View Post
Just in the last year, we've seem to have lost many 'conservative' type talk radio host, or one's that spoke against illegal immigration ...

I'm wondering if it had to do with economic reasons or the issues of focus?

I liked McIntyre, I'm glad he's back, but I'll ever here him because of his new time slot.

From what I've read, the economic downturn has hit the radio industry hard, and not just talk radio. There have been lots of layoffs and cutbacks. Also, there's been a trend toward syndication which, on the whole, is less expensive than a format of mostly local shows.

I'm glad McIntyre's back b/c I really enjoyed his insights and sense of humor. However, I'm somewhat concerned because he's coming back in syndicated fashion. Syndication, in my opinion, ruined the Larry Elder Show. Before he went national, Larry was this relentlessly critically thinking Libertarian who took great joy in skewering the assortment of race hustlers who occupy positions of notoriety here in So Cal. When he went national, however, he became a Republican apologist.

I started listening to AM radio because of Larry Elder. Once he was being heard from coast-to-coast, I think he lost me within 6 weeks.

Hopefully the same will not be true of McIntyre.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
You most assuredly are not "other people." Do you ever sleep?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
You most assuredly are not "other people." Do you ever sleep?
Yes, with one eye open.