Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Communities and Quality of Life > Communities in Crisis

Communities in Crisis California cities, towns, and counties suffering under corruption, crime, foreign influence or economic loss

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 05-26-2010, 01:52 PM

Default Hemet backs Arizona's immigrant crackdown

There's a poll at the site, go there and vote.
Hemet backs Arizona's immigrant crackdown
Hemet could become one of the first California cities to formally support Arizona's immigration law.
The City Council on Tuesday unanimously agreed to direct city staff to craft a resolution backing the law.
The Arizona law requires police officers during a "lawful stop, detention or arrest" to detain people they reasonably suspect are in the country without authorization and to verify their status with federal officials. It is scheduled to take effect in August.
Federal efforts to reform immigration law have repeatedly collapsed, leading states to attempt their own legislation as they experience spikes in illegal immigrants and related costs. Opponents say laws such as Arizona's invite racial profiling and harassment of Hispanics.
Hemet Councilwoman Robin Lowe said the city's resolution "is sending a message to the federal government for them to know that we support ICE (the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement) but that we'd also like them to do their job."
Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Santa Ana and San Diego all have passed resolutions condemning Arizona's law. The Hemet council did not set a date to vote on its resolution.
League of California Cities spokeswoman Eva Spiegel said she has not heard of any other city formally supporting the law, although she said her organization does not track such information.
Costa Mesa last week passed a resolution stating that the city will uphold immigration laws, but Mayor Allan Mansoor said the Arizona law did not provide the impetus.
On April 23, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed what is considered one of the nation's toughest laws on illegal immigration.
Since then, many California cities and immigrant-rights organizations have come out against the law, even though polls conducted by Pew and the Wall Street Journal/NBC indicate that more than 60 percent of Americans favor the law.
Hemet Mayor Eric McBride brought the proposal to a study session Tuesday out of concern that violent crime, especially kidnapping, is spreading across the Mexican border into the United States. He cited a kidnapping in the Bay Area city of Monterey but didn't cite any incidents in Hemet, a 100-year-old city of about 80,000 people in southwest Riverside County.
"Maybe some people don't believe we should take any action on it," McBride said. "But it's going to affect us as everyday American citizens. ... Do we wait for that to happen, or do we as a country take a proactive stance and assure that does not happen? The state of Arizona is taking the first step forward."
Two people at the meeting spoke in favor of the resolution; no one spoke against it. Councilman Robert Youssef was absent.
"Eric, I think it takes a lot of courage to step up to the plate," said Cash Hovivian, a 20-year resident of Hemet. "There is right and there is wrong. A lot of people went through the process. My family had to go through the process to become a citizen, and there should be no free tickets now."
Luz Gallegos is community programs director for Perris-based TODEC, which provides free educational programs to English learners in the Inland Empire. She opposes the Hemet resolution.
"This is very, very sad to hear," she said. "This is one of the cities we do outreach to. For them to come up with something like that is a slap in the face of the immigrant community."
Reach Brian Rokos at 951-763-3464 or brokos@PE.com
http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/s...6.30c119c.html
Old 05-26-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post

Federal efforts to reform immigration law have repeatedly collapsed, leading states to attempt their own legislation as they experience spikes in illegal immigrants and related costs. Opponents say laws such as Arizona's invite racial profiling and harassment of Hispanics.

Strange isn't it? The biggest clue as to whether somebody is in the country illegally is poor English language skills. And we have illegals from many African countries or countries with African descendents like Haiti. And we have illegals from Asian countries like China. All easy to spot because they don't speak English and they don't seem to care about it. They are all completely unembarrassed about speaking at top volume as if everyone speaking English were just humbled servants, obliged to stand by and listen.

But according to the outspokent opponents, its all about racial harrassment of hispanics. Nobody else. Don't they see how this is bound to backfire? Don't they see the racist end of the road for this argument? Nobody is speaking for any of the other illegal immigrant groups of non-European origin. And what about illegals who speak perfect English who are of European origin? These should be easy targets too. But they won't change their shrill dialog for anyone or reason and that's to be expected.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Hemet's resolution on Arizona immigration law already in works
A resolution that supports Arizona's illegal-immigration law could be ready for a City Council vote on June 8, Hemet City Manager Brian Nakamura said Thursday.
Tuesday, the council, at the behest of Mayor Eric McBride, directed staff members to write the resolution. Nakamura has already worked on a draft and is sending it to department heads for comments.
The Arizona law requires police officers who have reason to believe a person they contact is an illegal immigrant to work with federal authorities to determine their status.
Hemet would be one of the few California cities to formally support the Arizona law. Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego, among others, have taken stands against it.
--Brian Rokos
brokos@PE.com
http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/...g.d466fe9.html
Old 06-02-2010, 04:14 PM

Hemet has their hands full with the mexican gangs.

Aside from Hemet, Costa Mesa has joined in support of Arizona and so has Yorba Linda.

Maybe it might be more productive to, instead of protesting what Los Angeles (The mexican city) is doing, to start pressuring other cities to support Arizona.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy63 View Post
Hemet has their hands full with the mexican gangs.

Aside from Hemet, Costa Mesa has joined in support of Arizona and so has Yorba Linda.

Maybe it might be more productive to, instead of protesting what Los Angeles (The mexican city) is doing, to start pressuring other cities to support Arizona.
I think that is the logic behind going to Arizona this weekend.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:31 AM

I mean pressuring California cities to support Arizona, not just going to AZ to show support, but presenting resolutions of support to individual California cities.

I would love to go to Arizona. I can't. My situation has grown immeasurably WORSE since it was just business considerations and hours that prevented me from going anyplace. It's now so bad, I can't even go out to dinner or a freaking movie for crissakes. I'm lucky to be able to make a grocery run.

When I go to Arizona and I will go. I'm not coming back. It will be a permanent move. So, if you know anyone who wants to buy a dog grooming shop, point them this way.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:26 PM

Don't do just one thing, do everything you can think of doing.

That LA Supervisor meeting yesterday really did get under my skin. I have posted that I am purchasing ALL my taxables out of LA County and that is just the start. I will not make a dent but just maybe others feel the same as I do.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
Don't do just one thing, do everything you can think of doing.

That LA Supervisor meeting yesterday really did get under my skin. I have posted that I am purchasing ALL my taxables out of LA County and that is just the start. I will not make a dent but just maybe others feel the same as I do.
We do Rimo, although I don't live in LA, I do sometimes go there for work or to visit friends. But I will cut as much of that out and when I have to go there I won't spend one red cent, not for gas or anything. I dislike LA anyway, so it won't be too hard.