Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > General Discussion

General Discussion Topics of a general nature not relative to any other specific section here

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 09-07-2011, 05:07 AM
Continent Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
Politically correct or not, one should at least strive for accuracy in a term and use it accurately, whatever term is used as a description - such as "Anchor Baby" or "Mexican".

However, I heard a new one the other day, "Muslim-American". What the hell does that mean? It doesn't make sense, try "Christian-American", Agnostic-American, Atheist-American, Catholic-American, Jewish-American, Zen Buddhist-American", Heathen-American, Pagan-American, Animist-American, Zoroastrian-American, Satanist-American, Hard Shell Baptist-American, Holy Roller American, Casting Out Serpents-American, and so on.

It's so vague as to be meaningless. It was the basis of an article in the Press Enterprise or SB Sun, I believe a week or so ago. Something about alleged persecution or similar.
Those terms are meaningless because they combine religion with nationality, and the two elements have nothing to do with each other. The politically term which has never made sense to me is "Asian", which replaced "Oriental", which someone decided is now politically incorrect. "Oriental" was a more accurate term in my opinion because it referred to people from the Far East, whereas "Asian" theoretically could be someone from any part of Asia, which includes India, the Middle East, and most of Russia. However, no one refers to people from those regions as "Asians", as it's only used to refer to people from the Far East.

Ich Bin Ein Arizonan!

"I entirely reject the concept, however, of "anchor babies." If parents are found to be here illegally, then the whole family, children as well, should be sent back to the parents' country of origin."
Old 09-07-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPhil View Post
Those terms are meaningless because they combine religion with nationality, and the two elements have nothing to do with each other. The politically term which has never made sense to me is "Asian", which replaced "Oriental", which someone decided is now politically incorrect. "Oriental" was a more accurate term in my opinion because it referred to people from the Far East, whereas "Asian" theoretically could be someone from any part of Asia, which includes India, the Middle East, and most of Russia. However, no one refers to people from those regions as "Asians", as it's only used to refer to people from the Far East.
People from Asia identify themselves by nationality. They are not "Asians" until they get to America and are tagged with that description. And a lot of those populations hate each other - don't mistake a Korean for being Japanese.

Same everywhere else, even within nations - except for some indiscriminate labelers in the United States who, in the name of "diversity", come up with bullshit blanket descriptions like "African - American", "Mexican American", "Asian - American", and the king and queen of hollow labels - "Latino" and "Hispanic".

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Continent Thief

A term like "Oriental" refers to racial characteristics rather than nationalities, and is therefore a valid term if one is referring to the racial characteristics of people from the Far East. This may be why it's no longer considered an acceptable term, even among so-called "Asians" who come from the Far East. The concept of race itself has become virtually a taboo subject.

Ich Bin Ein Arizonan!

"I entirely reject the concept, however, of "anchor babies." If parents are found to be here illegally, then the whole family, children as well, should be sent back to the parents' country of origin."
Old 09-08-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPhil View Post
A term like "Oriental" refers to racial characteristics rather than nationalities, and is therefore a valid term if one is referring to the racial characteristics of people from the Far East. This may be why it's no longer considered an acceptable term, even among so-called "Asians" who come from the Far East. The concept of race itself has become virtually a taboo subject.
The concept of race is not a taboo subject at all. For example, what is considered unbridled racism in one person is considered "cultural pride" in another. That's what all those "ethnic studies" classes are all about - minority racism masquerading as "diversity".

Thus, the diverse (and sometimes mutually exclusive) peoples from Asia somehow shed their diverse characteristics in the American imagination and become the same exact person when they come to America, and their American children and grandchildren are supposed to be that person as well.

As well, Mexicans; Guatemalans; Bolivians; Argentinans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, and their American descendants are "Hispanic" or "Latino" and are somehow all supposed to wear Mariachi outfits and that all those "authentic" shit on a plate eateries somehow represents their "Hispanic" cuisine - notions born out of white American ignorance or clueless white American interpretation of brown American separatist agenda.

Take someone whose ancestors came from Ireland in the 1840's. He might be of a mind to go to an "Irish" festival once a year, put on a costume which would be silly in daily wear, and pretend he is Irish for a day. If he were to go to Ireland and proclaim himself to be Irish, the American would be laughed at.

But, there are some Americans with Mexican ancestors who pretend to be "Mexican" every day of their life, and it flies in America - reinforced by white Americans.

I knew a man whose parents are Irish, yet he himself grew up in London. He is not accepted by Irish to be be Irish, nor by Britons to be English.

There are Millions of Americans with Mexican ancestors who are not accepted by Mexico as being Mexican, nor by much of America as being American. Thus the concept of "Aztlan", with its fabricated "culture" of far left American ideology and selectively incorporated Latin American elements - just as silly as a white American man who wears a kilt and carries around bagpipes he doesn't know how to play everywhere he goes on a daily basis, but somehow it flies in America. It runs right through from the local university "to film at eleven".

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 09-08-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Continent Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
The concept of race is not a taboo subject at all. For example, what is considered unbridled racism in one person is considered "cultural pride" in another. That's what all those "ethnic studies" classes are all about - minority racism masquerading as "diversity".
OK, maybe taboo isn't the right word. Race has become a sensitive subject for a lot of people. I was using the example of "Asians" with Oriental racial features who no longer refer to themselves as "Orientals". I can't explain why, but I assume it has to do with a certain racial sensitivity.

Ich Bin Ein Arizonan!

Old 04-09-2012, 05:01 PM

Default Wisdom From The Farm

Wisdom From The Farm
Farmers can be really wise. They learn a lot by making their living from the land, or from raising livestock on their property. Here is some wisdom from the farm.
• “Your fences need to be horse-high, pig-tight and bull-strong.”
• “Keep skunks, lawyers and bankers at a distance.”
• “Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.”
• “A bumble bee is considerably faster than a John Deere tractor.”
• “Words that soak into your ears are whispered…….not yelled.”
• “Meanness don’t just happen overnight.”
• “Forgive your enemies; it messes up their heads.”
• “Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you.”
• “It don’t take a very big person to carry a grudge.”
• “You cannot unsay a cruel word.”
• “Every path has a few puddles.”
• “When you wallow with pigs, expect to get dirty.”
• “The best sermons are lived, not preached.”
• “Most of the stuff people worry about, ain’t never gonna happen anyway.”
• “Don’t judge folks by their relatives.
• “Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.”
• “Live a good and honorable life, then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.
• “Don’t interfere with somethin’ that ain’t bothering you none.”
• “Timin’ has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.”
• “If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin’.”
• “Sometimes you get, and sometimes you get got.
• “The biggest troublemaker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every mornin’.”
• “Always drink upstream from the herd.”
• “Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
• “Lettin’ the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin’ it back in.”
• “If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around.”
• “Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God.” “Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 AM

Default Former SNL Alum Jon Lovitz: Obama F-ing A-hole

Former SNL Alum Jon Lovitz: Obama F-ing A-hole

http://content.bitsontherun.com/prev...yGezi-svqBtzyp
Old 04-26-2012, 10:15 AM

The Jon Lovitz Tax Rant: If Obama Loses the Hollywood Left
Many years ago, before it became associated with foreign intervention, neo-conservatism was simply a term for former liberals who migrated to the right. It was said that they had been “mugged by reality.”
We may need a new term, perhaps “Holly-tarians,” for folks in the entertainment industry who have begun to realize the downside of excessive government. I’ve already favorably cited Clint Eastwood for his pro-flat tax views and dismissed Arnold Schwarzenegger on national TV as a de facto statist, but there are other actors who deserve some attention.
I don’t know whether Jon Lovitz is a budding Hollywood libertarian, but (in addition to being a very funny character actor) he certainly seems a bit upset with Obama’s class-warfare approach to fiscal policy.
Since I couldn’t figure out how to embed the file, click on his image and it will take you to an audio file of him ripping Obama, high taxes, and occupy poseurs. Warning, there are plenty of naughty words, including ubiquitous F-bombs.
I will make one correction to his rant. He says that middle-income people have the same deductions that are available to rich people. That’s not really true. Rich people, as I have explained before, don’t rely on wage and salary income like the rest of us. Instead, they earn capital income and business income, which opens the door to a much larger degree of tax planning.
For what it’s worth, this is why Obama’s proposed tax increases won’t raise nearly as much money as projected.
But since politicians doubtlessly will increase spending in anticipation of higher receipts, the net effect will be bigger government and more red ink. In other words, business as usual in Washington.
http://finance.townhall.com/columnis...eft/page/full/