Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Priority Topics Section > The Economy

The Economy Topics and information relating to the economy affecting SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 10-29-2009, 08:00 AM

Default Insects in Day of Dead altar decorations threaten citrus crops

Insects in Day of Dead altar decorations threaten citrus crops

Quote:
October 26, 2009

By SARAH BURGE
The Press-Enterprise

A plant used in Day of the Dead displays could spell doom for citrus growers, authorities said.

Federal officials issued an advisory this month to those traveling to and from Mexico that orange jasmine, also known as murraya, can harbor tiny insects that spread citrus greening disease. Citrus greening has devastated citrus crops in Africa and Asia. It's been detected in Mexico but not yet in California citrus.

According to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection news release, families celebrating Dia de los Muertos often use the ornamental greenery -- along with flowers, fruit, breads and other items -- as part of altars to commemorate loved ones who have died. Altars are constructed for the two-day holiday beginning Nov. 1.

Murraya is prohibited from being brought into the United States because it is a host plant for the Asian citrus psyllid, an insect that can carry citrus greening disease, the release said.

Citrus greening, also known as Huanglongbing, is believed to be caused by bacteria that can infect most citrus varieties and ornamental plants. It was first detected in the United States in 2005 in Miami-Dade County, Fla., and has since spread to many other counties in the state. The disease ruins the fruit and kills the tree.

Floral arrangement

Tracy Kahn, curator of the UCR Citrus Variety Collection, said orange jasmine -- or Murraya paniculata -- is grown in Mexico for use in flower arrangements. Kahn said even well-intentioned travelers might carry the plant into California not realizing it is a citrus relative and poses a threat to crops.

Kahn said the citrus psyllid has been reported in both San Diego and Orange counties, but so far none of the insects there appear to be carriers of the disease.

Orange jasmine is just one of many fruits and plants that cannot be brought into the United States from other countries. Failure to declare prohibited items brought into the country for personal use can result in fines up to $1,000, the release said. For more information about prohibited items, go to http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:27 PM

Since I fancy my self to be a gardener I am in the yard a lot. In all my years of living I am surprised to see new weeds, plants, I have never seen before. I think the reason is because of so much interstate and international travel. Seems everyone wants something from back home and seed or insects could be in their favorite something.