Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Social Scene > General Socializing

General Socializing Social topics not otherwise categorized

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 11-26-2009, 08:31 PM
SOS Associate

Default Ayatollah's Thanksgiving Meal

So here's the pictorial of our Thanksgiving feast:

Old 11-26-2009, 08:35 PM
SOS Associate

Old 11-26-2009, 08:44 PM
SOS Associate

I thought I'd take a nice long nap after, but had to ferry an uncle back home. he lost his wife a couple months ago, and now he's alone, and being a fairly disabled vet, can't drive much these days. After we got to his house and unloaded several 10 pound bags of Persimmons we picked from the inlaws, he invited me in for a few minutes, which turned in to an hour of discussions on his military experiences.
It was actually quite interesting, and he showed me a 45 caliber sidearm he carried for show. I say show, because this one was not functional, but was at one time, and one other cohort of his gets it for him to carry instead of the real deal because he doesn't have to clean it like the other one
This thing was made in the 40's or fifties I'd guess, and was taken out of service, but turned in to some sort of training or show piece. Nice shiny holster though. He said many soldiers of his rank or so didn't carry their real weapons, and used replicas instead.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:41 PM
As seen on TV!

Is that Lumpia, or egg rolls?

Nice spread of food...looks great!

A week, or so back I saw a flyer on the local bulletin board about a free Thanksgiving dinner for The lower-income, and single/retired Folks, and it had a phone # on it, so I took it down, and when I got home, I called to vollunteer help cook. (being a Chef..of sorts for 3 decades)

I got there at 4am and We cooked-off about 36 birds in a wood smoker, and did alot of prep, but once being in a few Supervisor positions Myself, I caught in the corner of My eye the Main-Man seriously watching my knive skills, and hand washing, and everything I would do with a new Employee, if I were a Chef.

Around noon He told Me to take a break, and take the dog for a good walk, and come back with an empty stomach...
Had a wonderfull meal, got to meet alot of good Folks, and when I was leaving, the"Boss" told Me "call me monday, I have work for You, and know of a few places looking for Someone with Your skills"...that really made My year hearing that, after almost 4 years of trying to find work in ANY kitchen in a sanctuary county...(good luck)
Since I've been gone from this area, over half of the bussinesses have closed, and so go-along the eateries, so finding any place hiring, is rare, so this was truly a GREAT Thanksgiving for Me.

On a side note: my dog loves eating weird food, crazy about garlic, melon, bananas, and all the things You'd never expect a dog to like, but I've never seen dog "wolf"-down Waldorf salad, and broccoli that I brought home.

Hope All had a nice Thanksgiving!

CB.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Bunny View Post
Is that Lumpia, or egg rolls?

Nice spread of food...looks great!

A week, or so back I saw a flyer on the local bulletin board about a free Thanksgiving dinner for The lower-income, and single/retired Folks, and it had a phone # on it, so I took it down, and when I got home, I called to vollunteer help cook. (being a Chef..of sorts for 3 decades)

I got there at 4am and We cooked-off about 36 birds in a wood smoker, and did alot of prep, but once being in a few Supervisor positions Myself, I caught in the corner of My eye the Main-Man seriously watching my knive skills, and hand washing, and everything I would do with a new Employee, if I were a Chef.

Around noon He told Me to take a break, and take the dog for a good walk, and come back with an empty stomach...
Had a wonderfull meal, got to meet alot of good Folks, and when I was leaving, the"Boss" told Me "call me monday, I have work for You, and know of a few places looking for Someone with Your skills"...that really made My year hearing that, after almost 4 years of trying to find work in ANY kitchen in a sanctuary county...(good luck)
Since I've been gone from this area, over half of the bussinesses have closed, and so go-along the eateries, so finding any place hiring, is rare, so this was truly a GREAT Thanksgiving for Me.

On a side note: my dog loves eating weird food, crazy about garlic, melon, bananas, and all the things You'd never expect a dog to like, but I've never seen dog "wolf"-down Waldorf salad, and broccoli that I brought home.

CB.
Oh, I am soooooo happy for you. Many of us know how it feels to be out of work while there are others working with half the skills. Hope it works out for you.

AG I'm jealous. I was invited to some friends house for Turkey, it was traditional and quite good. But that spread of yours would have come in first if there had been a competition.

I really like that roasting pan you cooked the bird. I have a thing for professional cookware. Please will it to me, please. Don't tell you wife though. It can be our little secret. Oh, and that mixer, throw that in the mix too.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:39 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
I really like that roasting pan you cooked the bird. I have a thing for professional cookware. Please will it to me, please. Don't tell you wife though. It can be our little secret. .
Ah yes......that would go over well at the reading of the will
Old 11-27-2009, 06:35 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Bunny View Post
Is that Lumpia, or egg rolls?On a side note: my dog loves eating weird food, crazy about garlic, melon, bananas, and all the things You'd never expect a dog to like, but I've never seen dog "wolf"-down Waldorf salad, and broccoli that I brought home.

CB.
It's Lumpia. Wife made it the day before. She always freezes some up for later too.
Glad to hear you got work

Garlic = very bad for dogs
Old 11-27-2009, 07:33 AM

Thanks for sharing with us. Years ago, there was no food for my 5 children. My husband at the time, got hired the day before Thanksgiving, and they had one extra turkey. They gave it to him. We were so grateful for that turkey. The kids didn't even realize that the turkey was the only thing on the table.