Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Municipalities

Municipalities Issues and information relating to cities and counties within California that are of interest to SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 03-12-2011, 07:57 PM

Default LAPD limits impounding of unlicensed drivers' cars

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,7690525.story

Under criticism that it was unfairly targeting undocumented immigrants, the Los Angeles Police Department on Friday announced changes to its rules for impounding cars of unlicensed drivers at sobriety checkpoints.

Previously, LAPD officers at such checkpoints followed stringent protocols that called for them to impound a car whenever the driver was found not to have a valid license, regardless of whether the driver had been drinking.

Those rules have drawn the ire of immigration advocacy groups that said they disproportionately targeted undocumented immigrants, who are not able to obtain licenses legally in nearly all U.S. states. Once a vehicle is impounded, law enforcement agencies often require it to remain locked up for at least a month and charge the owner hefty fees to release it.

The new LAPD guidelines soften the department's stance somewhat. Police will be required to make an attempt to contact the registered owner of the stopped vehicle. If the owner is a licensed driver and can respond to the checkpoint in "a reasonable period of time," the officers will release the car to him or her. If the owner is unlicensed, officers will permit another person who is a licensed driver to take the car.

If no one with a license is available, police will impound a vehicle. In any case, police will issue a citation to the unlicensed driver.

Police Chief Charlie Beck said that since he took over the department more than a year ago, the checkpoint policy had "stuck in my craw as one of the things we weren't doing the right way." Beck said he decided to make the change after immigration rights advocates raised the issue with him anew in meetings this week.

"I'm tired of casting the net so wide," he said. "This is the right thing to do. There is a fairness issue here … and we're trying to balance the needs of all segments of our community and keep the roads safe."

The new rules, Beck said, were an attempt to mitigate somewhat "the current reality, which is that for a vast number of people, who are a valuable asset to our community and who have very limited resources, their ability to live and work in L.A. is severely limited by their immigration status."

The change, which the department announced in a news release late Friday afternoon, is likely to anger groups that support strict enforcement of immigration laws. Efforts to contact representatives of several of those groups for comment were unsuccessful.

The issue of impounds has become a controversial topic in recent years. Police in the small cities of Bell and Maywood have been accused of systematically targeting undocumented immigrants when impounding cars in an effort to boost municipal revenues.

Ron Gochez, a member of the steering committee for the Southern California Immigration Coalition, expressed limited praise for the LAPD's change but questioned why the department needed to impound a car if the driver had not been drinking.

"It's a step in the right direction, but it still falls short of what we're asking for," he said. "We're not against checkpoints. We want checkpoints to happen, we want drunk drivers off our streets. We just don't want people to be losing their cars who aren't drunk."

joel.rubin@latimes.com

ari.bloomekatz@latimes.com

Copyright © 2011, Los Angeles Times
Old 03-12-2011, 09:14 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,7690525.story

"It's a step in the right direction, but it still falls short of what we're asking for," he said. "We're not against checkpoints. We want checkpoints to happen, we want drunk drivers off our streets. We just don't want people to be losing their cars who aren't drunk."

Copyright © 2011, Los Angeles Times
So then what about the people who HAVE been convicted of drunken driving, some multiple times, that don't have a license because of that? Or do you have to be illegal too, before they don't take your car?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
So then what about the people who HAVE been convicted of drunken driving, some multiple times, that don't have a license because of that? Or do you have to be illegal too, before they don't take your car?
Good question.

Why do we even have laws here in California, the illegals are immune to most of them, so why bother with the rest of us having to abide by any laws? The double standard is what is called "social justice". And we wonder why these La Razaists have such an entitlement attitude.

"the current reality, which is that for a vast number of people, who are a valuable asset to our community and who have very limited resources, their ability to live and work in L.A. is severely limited by their immigration status."

What about those that have limited resources that steal a cars, is that ok? Their ability to live and work will be enhanced by having that stolen car. They only broke one little law.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:37 PM

It has become clear that the goal of the pro-illegal alien crowd is to assure those aliens who drive without a license that they can do so with immunity from any form of prosecution.

Since that is the case I should not have to pay for a license or have one either. Also if I am drunk and under the influence when stopped i should be able to make a call and have my wife pick up the car so that I can get back in it and continue my drunk driving trip.

LAPD chief Charlie Beck is a piece of crap!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:33 AM

Further evidence that there are two sets of laws wherever the "special" people reside; one for the illegals, and the one that everyone else has to follow.

When will people wake up?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 AM

Guess when we get pulled over all we have to do, is throw our ID down and say we stole it. Then we can leave and go home.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 PM

This thing with the LAPD keeps getting deeper and deeper.
Quote:
Quote:
The chief said unlicensed U.S. citizens and legal residents stopped at checkpoints will still see their cars impounded, because unlike undocumented immigrants they have the choice to get a license.

Here is another article on the subject of impounding cars.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2011/03/15/...rants/?c=60916

In a move closely watched by other Southern California law enforcement agencies, LAPD Chief Chalie Beck has ordered his officers end the practice of immediately seizing the cars of undocumented immigrants who are stopped at sobriety checkpoints. The move comes amid concerns that police were unfairly targeting those drivers.

The news came as a relief for Maria Ranjel of Boyle Heights. Her husband and three sons are undocumented immigrants who drive all the time, even though they're ineligible to apply for drivers licenses in California.

“We know well that it’s against the law to drive without a license but it’s just because of need that we do it – to take our kids to and from school, to go to and from the market," Ranjel said through a translator. "It’s just too hard to take the bus.”

Ranjel said police repeatedly have stopped her husband and sons at sobriety checkpoints, and impounded their cars. It’s cost the family thousands of dollars.

She is part of an activist group called L.A. Voice that’s been lobbying police to ease their impound policies. Ranjel was elated LAPD Chief Charlie Beck agreed.

“I wanted to shout with joy at the news. It’s just good news for the Latino community."

Under the LAPD’s new policy, officers will give unlicensed illegal immigrants “reasonable time” to find someone else to drive their car home. It only applies at sobriety checkpoints and only if the driver isn’t drunk or otherwise wanted by police.

Chief Beck said “it’s the right thing to do.”

“The sad truth is that the people that were most impacted by this law were the people that could afford it the least – generally hardworking folks who are trying to make a life for themselves in the city of Los Angeles."

Beck said last year, officers working sobriety checkpoints impounded about 1,000 cars driven by undocumented immigrants who were not intoxicated or wanted by police. Overall, the LAPD impounded nearly 70,000 vehicles last year, but Beck said he’s not yet ready to extend the more lenient policy beyond the checkpoints.

He defended himself against critics who said his policy promotes illegal immigration.

“I rigorously enforce the law," the chief said. "The law gives me the option whether or not I impound that vehicle for 30 days. I am exercising that option because of the adverse impact of this law.”

The chief said unlicensed U.S. citizens and legal residents stopped at checkpoints will still see their cars impounded, because unlike undocumented immigrants they have the choice to get a license.

Amid an increasingly anti-immigrant political environment in the U.S., Mexican Consul General Juan Carlos Mendoza praised the new policy.

"We really support this initiative by Chief Beck because its in favor of the Latino community."

The consul general of Guatemala also attended the news conference and praised Beck.

San Francisco and a handful of other California cities have similar policies. Activists say they’re lobbying the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department to follow the LAPD’s lead.

Last edited by Eagle1; 03-15-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:36 PM

Let's take this to it's natural conclusion.

Illegal immigrants will now be enlisted into law enforcement to man the checkpoints. Other illegals who are found to be without driver's licenses will be issued coupons for free burritos and beer. Citizens stopped who cannot speak Spanish will be beaten with night sticks and videos of these beatings will be broadcast on Spanish cable for the amusement of other illegals.

Advertisements aired with the videos will be used to fund the burritos and beer.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:35 PM

You have that right. So let's start packing tortillas in our cars in case we are stopped.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 AM

And it appears that the law abiding people of Los Angeles are just going to drop their pants, bend over and take it.

No protests at LAPD HQ, no protests at LA City Hall. Nothing! AB 1070 received more public support. This abomination is simply being accepted.

Last night, I happened across the form leftist, Tammy Bruce, and she stated something that rang true. The left is so used to us, the people, continually "turning the other cheek" that they don't know how to react when we, the people, tell them enough is enough, as in Wisconsin and Tennessee.

I guess the people of California are not sufficiently pissed, or are totally bullied into submission by the fear of being called racists and bigots to rise up and do something about this abomination.

As I said the day after this state elected the 60s retread Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown, California is finished. The utter lack of response to this racial profiling by American citizens who are required by law to have a driver's license or risk having their car impounded is so, so sad.

Where are the protests? Are the movers and shakers in this movement so busy playing government that they can't or won't let their voices be heard? The lack of noted southern Californian border security leaders demonstrates that this movement is done. The Mexicans and their offspring have won. California is dead.