Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Social Scene > Sports

Sports Topics relating to sports

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 12-01-2010, 01:47 PM
"SZinWestLA"

Default I'm gonna puke ...

US stresses diversity in bid to host 2022 WCup
By CHRIS LEHOURITES, AP Sports Writer

ZURICH (AP)—Former President Bill Clinton stressed the diversity of the United States in its bid to host the 2022 World Cup, telling the FIFA executive committee on Wednesday that “we can fill a stadium with home-nation rooters.”

Clinton, the honorary chairman of the bid committee, spoke at the end of the country’s 30-minute presentation to the 22 FIFA voters. Clinton read off his script and spent much time talking about his foundation and past achievements.

The United States is competing with Australia, South Korea, Qatar and Japan for the right to host the 2022 World Cup. FIFA will vote on the 2018 and ’22 tournaments on Thursday.

The U.S. presentation at FIFA headquarters opened with actor Morgan Freeman calling the United States the world’s most diverse country. Clinton later built on that theme.

“It’s important that all the teams who come to any World Cup venue feel that they, too, are playing at home, not just for people watching on television,” Clinton said. “I tell everyone maybe America’s best claim to this World Cup is that we have the only nation you can put the World Cup that can guarantee no matter who makes the final, we can fill a stadium with home-nation rooters.”

Freeman invoked the name of Nelson Mandela, the former South African president who helped bring the 2010 World Cup to that nation. Freeman played Mandela in the movie “Invictus,” about how the former political prisoner used rugby to unite a country that had been separated by apartheid.

“We are now the most diverse nation on earth,” Freeman said. “And our patchwork heritage is our greatest strength.”

Freeman also was off his captivating best, making a mistake as he was reading his opening statement.

“I’m sorry, I missed a page,” Freeman said after realizing his speech was going in a different direction.

Freeman later introduced a video of President Barack Obama, whose message was similar.

“Ours has always been a nation of great diversity and great promise,” Obama said. “Anything is possible.”

Obama was on hand last year in Copenhagen to help Chicago in its bid to host the 2016 Olympics. Despite his presence, Chicago was eliminated in the first round.

The World Cup bid team noted that no infrastructure needs to be built to host the tournament in the U.S. The Americans also highlighted the growth of soccer in the country since it hosted the 1994 World Cup.

The biggest thing that could sway voters toward the American bid is the potential money-making prospect of having the World Cup in the United States. U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati went to lengths to show the voters how much could be made.

U.S. midfielder Landon Donovan was introduced with a video of him scoring against Algeria at this year’s World Cup. He said his dream to play soccer at the highest level began after watching Argentina play Romania in the second round of the World Cup at the Rose Bowl.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Archer

Discusting!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:52 AM

I need a puke bag too.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:17 PM

Creepy backstabber Bill Clinton is a Globalist and he also back stabbed the American people by signing NAFTA.
Which was meant to destroy American jobs. Let's not forget how he back stabbed his own wife with Monica Lewinsky.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
he also back stabbed the American people by signing NAFTA.
I thought Bill was a pretty good President but I will never forgive him for NAFTA.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:08 PM

Yea, but he didn't even know when he was having sex. That's not a genius!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Army Mom View Post
Yea, but he didn't even know when he was having sex. That's not a genius!
He lied! He knew he was having sex. Even with that long cigar in his hand!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:40 AM

The Clinton Administration was one of the most corrupt I've seen in my lifetime. Remember Travelgate? Remember the lost papers that amazingly just showed up on the kitchen table one morning? Not to mention the corrupt real estate and suicide that followed. Monica was just a pimple on Bill's rear end that didn't heal fast enough. There were so many corrupt things that happened during the Clinton Administration. Yet when people think of corruption they think of Nixon, but compared to Clinton, Nixon was an amateur. But, Clinton knew how to get things done and had the experience to know when to cross his T's and dot his I's.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:47 AM

I need a puke bag!