Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > General Discussion

General Discussion Topics of a general nature not relative to any other specific section here

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Default Chase Bank

I'm shakin my head !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somewhere recently I either got an E-mail or read in the forum that someone was miffed at Chase Bank over policy.

Background:

I have been doing business since 1970 at this bank branch near my home. Chase now owns it. Previously it was Bank of New York and before that some other bank whose name I have forgotten. In any event 40 yrs.

I have a checking account for daily transactions *( Direct deposit ) and a checking account *( Preferred checking ) for "other". And I have a savings account as well as a Chase Master Card with overdraft protection.

The *( Preferred Checking ) is a set aside due to the demise of my spouse. And I am the Administrator of the account. This acount writes two check each year to pay school and property taxes.

Sidebar:

I opened a CD with Chase on a revolving 6 month basis. Due to Chases parsimonious rates I moved it to another Bank, Hudson City Savings.

In my most recent statement Chase charged me $12 for the month because my *( Prefered Checking account had less than $1,500 balance ) * I paid my property taxes depleting that account.

I asked the black representative if she could explain to me why my *( Preferred checking ) charged me while my *( Direct Deposit ) did not. She said the *( Preferred checking was obsolete and no longer available !!!!!! *( But they still employed the old rules ).

So on my preferred checking I had to maintain a $1,500 balance. NO interest was paid. Chase had my money but didn't pay me anything for it annually.

On my savings account I had to maintain a minimum of $300 to avoid charges .

Other bank officials came in and joined the conversation. There was some whispering among them.

I offered that my best options were to move my accounts to Hudson City Savings, or to close the *( preferred checking account).

The happy solution was that Chase decided to let me deposit $300 minimum into my *( My preferred account ) with the condition that I wouldn't write more than 4 checks. I write 2 check annually from that account to pay my property taxes.

The long and short of it is that I told Chase that they were similar to three card Monte steet gang.

Chase consolidated my accounts with an annuity, waived the $12 monthly fee and linked all of my accounts to my satisfaction.

I haven't yet taken a shower but it will occur soon.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:54 AM
SOS Associate

I'd like to offer words of advice, or even share a similar story, however I find myself overwhelmed with jealousy over your bragging that you have that much money in the bank
Old 02-23-2011, 12:24 PM

A few years back Chase bought out so many other bank and as a result I landed up having to deal with them . I feel like they grabbed me off the sidewalk, threw me in an alley, beat me up and stole my money. As soon as those credit cards are payed off, I will say good-by and never, ever do business with them again.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:45 AM

Default Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
I'd like to offer words of advice, or even share a similar story, however I find myself overwhelmed with jealousy over your bragging that you have that much money in the bank

Maybe I'm a little bit naive but to be succinct - I came from nothing, poverty and worked my ass off for decades, motivated and determined. I made many sacrifices. My Mom and Dad had nothing, in material wealth, but something in work ethic, values, ethics, religion and above all excellent genes. Mom lived to 102 and Dad to97.

I actually was in the top 10% of wage earners in the USA by hard work and sacrifices. Fortunately I was able to translate this to my granddaughter who will graduate in May 2011 from College with 3 - three - degrees. She will go on to law school with my assistance.

Unfortunately to my everlasting chagrin two of my grandsons haven't absorbed the lesson as yet and they are essentially laboring and lost.

I give to various charities. Don't know what happens but apparently my name gets spread around, by some unknown method, as a soft touch, and I receive an absolutely incredible number of E-mails and letters asking for donation and contributions on a daily basis - hundreds!

Sorry if I came across as braggadocio and pompous. Unintended. I was only speaking commonly as the real circumstances. Perhaps I didn't realize that others are less affluent and fortunate. I do apologize for the oversight, without offense.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetibbe View Post
Maybe I'm a little bit naive but to be succinct - I came from nothing, poverty and worked my ass off for decades, motivated and determined. I made many sacrifices. My Mom and Dad had nothing, in material wealth, but something in work ethic, values, ethics, religion and above all excellent genes. Mom lived to 102 and Dad to97.

I actually was in the top 10% of wage earners in the USA by hard work and sacrifices. Fortunately I was able to translate this to my granddaughter who will graduate in May 2011 from College with 3 - three - degrees. She will go on to law school with my assistance.

Unfortunately to my everlasting chagrin two of my grandsons haven't absorbed the lesson as yet and they are essentially laboring and lost.

I give to various charities. Don't know what happens but apparently my name gets spread around, by some unknown method, as a soft touch, and I receive an absolutely incredible number of E-mails and letters asking for donation and contributions on a daily basis - hundreds!

Sorry if I came across as braggadocio and pompous. Unintended. I was only speaking commonly as the real circumstances. Perhaps I didn't realize that others are less affluent and fortunate. I do apologize for the oversight, without offense.
I know a non-profit you could donate to that won't spread your name around, and it's very close to my heart. I guess I'll leave you guessing who.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Patriotic Pragmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetibbe View Post

I have done all I can, I'm ready to give up on college. You have no idea what it's like trying to get through when you're struggling to eat.
You really should be more quiet about what you earn, you're attracting those of us who have less. It's a good thing we're not illegal aliens, because I'm rather serious, if one of them were overhearing you discuss all this, they'd find a way to rob you. I've been a victim of it. I even once loaned a guitar to a friend I thought I could trust, only to find that his mexican roommate's cousin managed to pawn it ...
it's funny how those most aggresive of neo-con warhawks, refuse to acknowledge the war of invasion at our border. It almost seems as if they're worried about defending an entirely different country than our own.
it's time to put America first.

SMASH THE REDS! LIBERAL PROGRESSIVES: FLEE!

Arizona has spoken. Will America listen?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Flag Republican View Post
I have done all I can, I'm ready to give up on college. You have no idea what it's like trying to get through when you're struggling to eat.
You really should be more quiet about what you earn, you're attracting those of us who have less. It's a good thing we're not illegal aliens, because I'm rather serious, if one of them were overhearing you discuss all this, they'd find a way to rob you. I've been a victim of it. I even once loaned a guitar to a friend I thought I could trust, only to find that his mexican roommate's cousin managed to pawn it ...
He's not ignorant to what's around him, he'll be fine.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:54 PM
SOS Associate

I was just kidding Wetibbe. I'm not really jealous, but rather having a little fun at his expense report.
On an interesting and coincidental note regarding trying to hide your wealth or assets from prying mexican illegals, I discovered today that I was again the victim of ID theft. Some fool illegal used my name to buy a house(which I already knew), but then was evicted from it (which I didn't know). An unlawful detainer showed up in my name in a 2007 case. Funny thing was that it was not added to the court register until the last few months. Don't know why, but I'll bet it has something to do with incompetence at the bureaucratic level
Only a foolish illegal would be stoopid enough to steal the identity of someone poorer than himself.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:19 AM

[QUOTE=Bear Flag Republican;14526]I have done all I can, I'm ready to give up on college. You have no idea what it's like trying to get through when you're struggling to eat.

Some words from an old timer. I've been retired for quite some time. Back when I went to college I was more broke than you are. I didn't have the price of tuition and I couldn't afford a fraternity. I went on a football scholarship thanks to my high-school teacher. Of course I was also a big, strong football player in high-school.

When it came time for my son to go to college we were not all that well off and had just bought/built a new house which needed furnishing. He lived at home and commuted about 30 miles one way. We got him a student loan. He went to college during the day and worked as a telemarketer at night coming home after 11:00 PM. My Granddaughter also has been struggling in college and her Dad has been paying her tuition and living expenses. She is in her senior year slated to graduate in May 2011. She got a student loan recently. And she also has a part time job as an accountant with a Catholic agency in her college town.

My Daughter married a guy who was in the Navy for several years. After he quit the Navy they lived together and had two children. At the same time he enrolled in college simultaneously working in a Federal Prison. At one point our daughter asked if she, and her kids, could move back in with us. They were down to their last $200. Fortunately it did not happen. Not only did he graduate with a degree he went on to obtain a Masters. Federal Prisons Industries retired him at 57. He went to work for the State Department in Washington, D.C., now involved with Iraq and Afghanistan. He collects 80% of his previous salary as retirement benefits and his current salary is more than he earned while with Federal Prisons Industries.

Maybe I left a false impression. Half of my neighbors are better of than I am ! In fact anyone who has never visited the New York area is in for a shock at the affluence surrounding the city, the mansion and estates. I'm just an average Joe by comparison. My daughter in law is a registered nurse working in pediatrics and she earns more than $80,000 annually. She is not considered very well off in her environs.

My grandsons *( Different families ) were the off-springs of parents who worked hard to be successful. They were spoiled and had everything handed to them which they obviously didn't appreciate. Their parents offered to pay their college and they turned their noses up. Now they are suffering, and struggling, big time and kicking themselves.

So my advice to you is to hang in there. Do whatever it takes, but get that degree. Get a loan, get a job, get two jobs. But do not give up. It will be a mistake that will haunt you for the rest of your life. We all suffered and sacrificed. It takes YEARS to get established and begin saving money. *( My daughter said her kids had it too easy. They didn't suffer and didn't struggle and thus don't appreciate. Hardships toughten the spirit. It will make you a better person with a better character. And you'll have something to tell you kids at the breakfast table on Sunday mornings while you relate to them what your youth was like.)

Dale Carnegie: - " I cried the blues, I had no shoes, until I saw the man who had no feet !

Last edited by wetibbe; 02-25-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:46 AM

About College! My 14 and 15 year old told me yesterday, that if they want to go to college, don't say that you are white! This infuriates me and was told to them both by different teachers in junior high! Why can't we all be Americans! Don't give up on your dream.