Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Social Scene > The Great Outdoors

The Great Outdoors Hunting, fishing, hiking, climbing, boating and other outdoor activities

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 10-10-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Many, many people were astounded by the very sight of a slung rifle in public.
I pictured this.

Quote:
You could also see them on cell phones, most likely dialing 911.
It seems half the population is perpetually communicating via cell phone. However, if another 40% were on cellphones rather than texting, they were calling 911.

Quote:
As I passed a sign waver on the corner of White Rock and Sunrise, many people were staring at me from inside and outside of the Burger King on the corner. I guess those sign wavers do really get people's attention.
Just think of the attention a sign waver would command if he practiced open carry

Quote:
Then he asked me a rhetorical question in regards to whether I walked with my rifle that way, and didn't the cops meet up with me.
He knew about you not long after the cops ceased detaining you.

Quote:
I am going to give the dispatchers a courtesy call next time
Not nagging - I believe that to be a wise idea.

I'm surprised the press wasn't out to take manipulative images of you wearing cuffs while negatively ensconsed in the back of a patrol car or "interview" you for statements to be edited out of context - film at 11.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 10-10-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:07 PM
As seen on TV!

A police scanner would have been fun to bring along, but some Cops see carrying a gun, and a scanner as trouble...
Old 10-24-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Bunny View Post
A police scanner would have been fun to bring along, but some Cops see carrying a gun, and a scanner as trouble...
I believe they would view carrying either would be suspicious, but the both together could preceed overreactive apoplexy.

As a supporter of open carry, I don't fault AG in conducting himself lawfully as he clearly did. In the course of events, his civil rights were violated...

The supreme court has already ruled in Florida v J.L. that an anonymous tip describing innocent behavior is not sufficient cause to justify a search. In U.S. v Ubilies they ruled that mere possession of a firearm is not evidence that a crime is afoot. And in Arizona v Hicks, probable cause applies only to things in plain view....

So it didnt matter that 911 got one call or forty calls identifying AG as a gunman. The only thing that these officers were authorized to do was inspect the loaded condition of the firearm per 12031. But even this is wrong, because 12031 creates a 'statutory' version of probable cause- its clearly a violation of the 4A.

While the easiest thing to do to avoid controversy or another police encounter is not to ever do this again, it is impossible to effect the change in police attitudes and policies without challenging them. By being good sheep (BAAAAAh- BAAAAAAh) we only encourage the authorities to continue to do as they have learned that they could do. That challenge can come with a litigant prepared to sue or at the direction of our legislature prepared to inhibit the actions of police to strict Constitutional limits.

Guess which one will never happen in California.

Perhaps when the weather breaks or spring comes, I'll join him with my Mosin-Nagant slung with the bolt removed.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:44 PM

A lot of Supreme Court decisions take an abundance of concentrated reading to understand them. They were built on previous decisions, and I believe some were reinterpreted or at least attempted to be overturned by later Supreme Courts.

And I believe some state and territorial statutes will stand - one part of the search might be unconstitutional concerning federal statute, but might hold up under state or territorial statute. Instead of being convicted under several laws, one might be convicted on one law concerning the same search. I would have to be much better educated in Law to know that for certain.

The Ayatolla certainly didn't commit this violation:

Quote:
California Penal Code Section 12031

(a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when
he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a
prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

More of the statute http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12031.html

Some of the Supreme court decisions from above:

Quote:
United States Court of Appeals,Third Circuit.

UNITED STATES v. UBILES

UNITED STATES of America, v. Kahli UBILES, Appellant.

No. 00-3091.

Argued June 15, 2000. -- August 17, 2000 http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-3rd-circuit/1295038.html

Quote:
Syllabus

SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES

529 U.S. 266
FLORIDA v. J.L.
CERTIORARI TO THE SUPREME COURT OF FLORIDA
98-1993 Argued: February 29, 2000 --- Decided: March 28, 2000
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/htm...9_0266_ZS.html
Quote:
U.S. Supreme Court
ARIZONA v. HICKS, 480 U.S. 321 (1987)
480 U.S. 321

ARIZONA v. HICKS
CERTIORARI TO THE COURT OF APPEALS OF ARIZONA

No. 85-1027.

Argued December 8, 1986
Decided March 3, 1987

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bi...=480&invol=321
Quote:
U.S. Supreme Court
TERRY v. OHIO, 392 U.S. 1 (1968)
392 U.S. 1

TERRY v. OHIO.
CERTIORARI TO THE SUPREME COURT OF OHIO.
No. 67.
Argued December 12, 1967.
Decided June 10, 1968.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bi...ol=392&invol=1

I do have a concern with trigger happy cops. A passed out woman in a car in Riverside was riddled with bullets after one cop broke a side window to gain entry and the woman reportedly moved. The family member who called out of concern for the woman's welfare stated that the woman had a gun, the cops claimed to have seen one on the woman's lap. Was a handgun visible through the window, was one under the seat, or not finding one in the vehicle, was it planted after the fact? Only those cops know for sure.

All it takes is for one to open up, and they all fire multiple rounds.

I knew a man who became suicidal and holed up in a motel. His wife called the police out of concern for his welfare. The police broke into his room and shot him to death.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 10-24-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:47 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
Perhaps when the weather breaks or spring comes, I'll join him with my Mosin-Nagant slung with the bolt removed.
The bolt removed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Last edited by Ayatollahgondola; 10-24-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
If we were truly defiant for the cause of liberty, we would carry it loaded with a round chambered- is that where you think we should go?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:23 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
If we were truly defiant for the cause of liberty, we would carry it loaded with a round chambered- is that where you think we should go?
I didn't think I was defying anyone that day, but I'll be damned if I'm going to carry a rifle without the bolt in. Hell, I got dirty just walking there. God only knows what might end up in there by the time you got to the range. Probably spider webs, broken glass, cigarette butts...
Old 10-25-2010, 04:36 AM

You are too funny.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:01 AM
SOS Associate

Urban Rifle Hike II coming this month

Just in case there may still be a few motivated associates in this area. If you want to join in the next rifle hike, drop me a PM or an email

Davi@SaveOurState.info
Old 03-29-2011, 10:23 PM
SOS Associate

I thought I'd use this thread to post some info about an open carry bill that is working its' way through the state house right now, and has a hearing in committee in mid april. This bill is aimed at crippling the ability to open carry. It may, for all intents and purposes, ban open carry of concealable firearms. The bill isan't going to affect rifle carry, but it is another step, and that's how these power mongers in government do it. Also, it further stigmatizes guns as bad, and even worse if they are where the public can see them.