Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > California Schools

California Schools Topics And Information Relating To California Schools

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 03-20-2011, 01:15 PM

Default Letter written by a Valley teacher is stirring a heated debate about racism and immig

The letter describes exactly what is going on in many of our classrooms, especially in the south western USA. This is what our schools have become, and you can look directly at our education system and Chicano Studies/MECha as the main reason. Over 40 yrs of pushing the La Raza agenda is really showing results. It all starts in our schools.

Letter written by a Valley teacher is stirring a heated debate about racism and immigration
PHOENIX - A letter from a teacher is the latest bombshell in the state's immigration debate.
It was read on the Senate floor where five illegal immigration bills were defeated Thursday.
Even though the bills failed, the letter lives on stirring debate and prompting one Valley organization to question the judgment of the senator who read it.
It came up during a debate of a bill that would have required schools to check each student’s legal status.
Senator Lori Klein explained many people misinterpreted the bill’s intent.
She said they never wanted to deny anyone an education, but rather get a handle on how many students are in the country illegally so Arizona can tally the cost to educate them.
On Friday night Klein told me they simply thought it is important to understand how much federal and state tax dollars are spent on educating undocumented children,
Where is it going and who are we educating and I think that's a fair question I get asked by my constituents,” Klein said.
During her floor speech she read a letter from a person identifying himself as a West Valley substitute teacher.
The author’s name is omitted from the letter.
He details events that took place in an 8th grade Glendale classroom with "almost all Hispanic and a couple of black children."
He later writes, “Most of them stated they were in the country illegally, White Americans are racist, and that they came here for a better life.”
READ THE FULL LETTER ON THE LAST PAGE
The author says his wife and children are Hispanic.
He says the students were tearing pages out of textbooks, throwing pencils, generally not prepared for class and speaking Spanish in class.
The author, who addressed the letter to Senate President Russell Pearce, wrote, “I asked the students to stop speaking Spanish in class because it was impolite to speak a language in front of people who may not speak that language. Their response was that Americans better learn Spanish and their customs because they are taking their land back from us.“
Tonight I asked Senator Klein why she read the letter.
“They apparently had little regard for him, they were rude to him and basically engaging in behavior that isn't appropriate in any school," she told me. "It shows how little regard some of these people have for the education they are getting for free from the American taxpayers, that’s why I read the letter.”
But the letter also included this sentence, “I have found that substitute teaching in these areas most of the Hispanic students do not want to be educated but rather be gang members and gangsters.”
It is statements like that which had people calling Bill Straus, regional director of the Anti-Defamation League.
“I’ve gotten e-mails and phone calls throughout the day yes,”
Straus told me.
I asked him what people were saying and he replied, “Asking what, if anything, is the Anti-defamation league is going to do. We have a state senator that gets up and reads this hateful pile of trash. I’d be curious to know if there really is a substitute teacher because quite frankly I’ve read a lot of stuff like this.
"Our organization monitors extremist groups, individuals. I’ve seen a lot of things like this, it's not that out of the ordinary. What is out of the ordinary that it gets the credibility of a state senator reading it word for word on the floor of the senate, it’s a disgrace,” Straus said.
Klein stressed that the letter is not her opinion, that she merely was presenting it to show what one teacher says he’s dealing with and that the point of reading it wasn’t to offend but to inform.
“To say that all Hispanics kids don't want to learn is not true,” said Klein. "I was reading that letter verbatim, I did not have time to edit it.”
She added that his letter showed that some of some of the things he is experiencing are, “not an anomaly. According to him it’s endemic in certain areas in Phoenix which is very sad. It should be sad because I know there are a lot of wonderful Hispanic families who treasure their kids and their education.”
Klein also said, “Not one of us on the senate floor is racist or has anything other than the hope that people who are here in this country will appreciate what they are in getting in terms of their education to get ahead in life. Do we want people here legally and go through the legal channels? Absolutely! We think that's the right way to handle it, however we are here in this situation where we are educating people and we want to be able to understand exactly to what level and who we are educating and we want to make sure people are actually getting educated.
"We hope they are appreciating the education because if they were to have a pathway to citizenship, which they are, I mean many of these young boys can join the military and be given the ability to become legal citizens, so we certainly want people to be educated.
"This was not a racist thing to find out how many people are being educated, it was a matter of letting the taxpayers know the cost. So it was just part of trying to find out and really quantify what the cost is to Arizona especially in our economic downturn. We really are in an economic downturn and you would think that people who are getting a free education would appreciate it and that letter showed that there is no appreciation, which is sad.”
Calling the words in the letter, “venomous” Straus said, “I would ask Senator Klein, and all of our other representatives to think carefully about what they are going to share in the public forum.”
Many expect some of these bills to resurface in the next legislative session.
“As long as this issue is a campaign election and reelection issue it’s going to come back forever," Straus said. "That's what makes this issue so juicy. It’s not the guts and substance of the issue itself it’s the fact that most of our representatives got elected on one issue and it’s this one.”
ABC15 is submitting a freedom of information request to get the name of the teacher who wrote the letter.
Straus said “This is a person who probably wasn't cut out to be a teacher. You and I can walk to a shopping center right now and I can find a lot of people who have similar viewpoints like that. That doesn't mean those viewpoints are right or accurate.”
I did contact the Arizona Education Association to explore if the statements and claims made by the substitute teacher in the letter are common in most Valley schools but they declined our request for comment.
Read the teacher's letter on the next page and let us know what you think by leaving a comment below.
Dear Senator Russell Pearce,
I am compelled to write to you about a recent event that occurred to me. I currently work as a substitute teacher in the west valley areas of Phoenix, Glendale, and Peoria. I was called upon to teach history and language arts for 8th grade at a Glendale public school. The number of students I had in each class ranged from 28 to 38 children, which were almost all Hispanic and a couple of Black children. The day started out as usual turning on the television listening and watching the announcements and saying the Pledge of Allegiance. During the Pledge of Allegiance I notice the vast majority of students refusing to stand and say the pledge. I asked the students why they refused to say the Pledge of Allegiance and they responded by saying, “we are Mexicans and Americans stole our land.”
The teacher’s instructions were for the students to read a few pages and answer the questions regarding Mark Twain in their history textbook and to finish their final drafts to Senator Steve Gallardo thanking him for his position on Illegal Immigration rights. Their teacher apparently had showed them a video with Senator Steve Gallardo and Lou Dobbs. Most of the students came unprepared for class not possessing paper and pencil. I provided the students with paper and pencils only to have them wade-up the paper and throw it at each other along with their pencils.
The students’ final drafts that I read were basically the same. Most of them stated they were in the country illegally, White Americans are racist, and that they came here for a better life. I asked the class if America adopted Mexico immigration laws would Americans still be consider racist? That question they could not answer and called me a racist for asking it. I mentioned that my wife and children are Hispanic so how could I be racist?
I asked the students to stop speaking Spanish in class because it was impolite to speak a language in front of people who may not speak that language. Their response was that Americans better learn Spanish and their customs because they are taking their land back from us.
When it came to completing the Mark Twain assignment only 10 students completed it out of all my classes. Most of the students refused to open the book, tore the pages out of the book, or threw the textbooks at each other. I thought are these the students we are trying to educate with taxpayers money. I have found that substitute teaching in these areas most of the Hispanic students do not want to be educated but rather be gang members and gangsters. They hate America and are determined to reclaim this area for Mexico. If we are able to remove the illegals out of our schools, the class sizes would be reduced and the students who wanted to learn would have a better chance to do so and become productive citizens.
I applaud and support your efforts to stop this invasion into our state and country. When the citizens of a country are forced to speak the invaders language, adopt their customs, and forced to support them, are we not a conquer nation? I do not want to see our state and nation turned into a third world country. Thank you for standing up to this invasion. You may contact me by phone, e-mail, or mail. Thank you, again.
Sincerely,

Letter stirs heated debate on immigration

Arizona 'Birthright Immigration' Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHl_k...&feature=email

Last edited by The Mediator; 03-20-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:44 PM

The things described sound unbelivable. I will say I heard a teacher who came from a Jr Hi to an adult craft class say the same thing. That was at least 10 years ago. The only thing she did not say was that they were hispanic students. You would think our teachers would not even want to work in such a climate.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:49 PM

This is old news.

I have friends who work for LAUSD and I have heard these stories for years.

The US is an occupied country. Americans who invented space ships and space travel are being dispossessed by third world primitives who couldn't invent indoor plumbing. They hate us and will transform American into what they ran away from.

Harsh....but true.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:19 PM

This is only the half of it. I hear it at the school my daughters go to. Told a few of the kids to keep it English. The look I got was daggers, but could have cared less.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 AM

School Probes Chaos Described By Substitute
PHOENIX -- Glendale Elementary School District officials confirmed Wednesday that substitute teacher Tony Hill did work in at least three of their schools this year, including Harold W. Smith elementary on March 8. That substitute assignment prompted Hill to write an email to Arizona Senate President Russell Pearce.
The email criticized Hispanic students, saying that they were more interested in becoming gangsters than getting an education. In the email, Hill also said that the students he taught refused to stand to say the Pledge of Allegiance, called white Americans racist and threw textbooks at each other.
That email was read on the Senate floor last week during debate on an immigration bill. The reading of the email started a firestorm and prompted Latino lawmakers to demand an apology from Pearce and the senator who read the email, claiming it was inflammatory and offensive.
On Wednesday, Jim Cummings, a spokesman for GESD, said district administrators launched an inquiry into the allegations in the email.
"We do not believe in any way shape or form that the things that he said in his email are reflective of what our school is all about and the behavior of our students. Most of these kids we’ve had since kindergarten. They grew up here. We know them. We have them for 180 days a year. He was in here for one day. We know better," said Cummings.
Cummings said the district talked with students in the classroom that day and none of them remembered making or hearing any of the inflammatory statements attributed to them by Hill. He added that the students also said they stood for the daily recital of the pledge.
Hill filled out an exit form the day he substituted at Smith Elementary. On it he noted that the students followed directions poorly and did not act properly, but in the section where it asked for him to note any inappropriate behavior, Hill left that blank.
"The email that was read on the floor is a big fat lie. It’s wrong. It’s false.The fact is, in the teachers exit report, there was no statement that the students were throwing text books and ripping up the assignments and not wanting to stand for the pledge or wanted to be gang members. It’s a big fat lie," said Sen. Steve Gallardo, a member of the Latino Caucus.
Wednesday afternoon, Gallardo once again asked for an apology from Pearce and the other Republican senators who continued to defend Hill and his email.
Pearce said the only person who is owed an apology is Hill because he is being attacked and vilified for telling the truth. Pearce said he was disappointed that this rhetoric about a true and accurate email is continuing.
Republican Sen. Sylvia Allen, from Snowflake, echoed Pearce's comments saying just because Hill didn't report the student's behavior to the school or district does not mean it didn't happen.
"I can totally understand why he wouldn’t report it. Nowadays in political correctness, you dare not say some things if you ever want to teach again. And that’s probably why he didn’t report it. I think it’s wrong, on this floor, to be calling this man a liar and saying there’s no proof just because he didn’t fill out a report," said Allen.
Calls to Hill revealed his phone has been disconnected and he did not return emails reaching out to him for comment. http://www.kpho.com/news/27301575/detail.html
Old 03-24-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
"I can totally understand why he wouldn’t report it. Nowadays in political correctness, you dare not say some things if you ever want to teach again.
Speaking the truth is something tenure doesn't cover.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Patriotic Pragmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Army Mom View Post
This is only the half of it. I hear it at the school my daughters go to. Told a few of the kids to keep it English. The look I got was daggers, but could have cared less.
How does that increased likelihood that your daughters will be raped at school, from what was a small chance several years ago, to almost inevitable if they don't consent with some mexican or black, for being "racist", make you feel about your choices in their education? How can you still have faith in public schools?
it's funny how those most aggresive of neo-con warhawks, refuse to acknowledge the war of invasion at our border. It almost seems as if they're worried about defending an entirely different country than our own.
it's time to put America first.

SMASH THE REDS! LIBERAL PROGRESSIVES: FLEE!

Arizona has spoken. Will America listen?