Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > General Discussion

General Discussion Topics of a general nature not relative to any other specific section here

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 06-25-2010, 09:53 AM

Default Migrants challenge the American worker: Do our job

This is a challenge by the illegals that Americans won't work in the fields. I know for a fact that this isn't true. But what most Americans don't know is all the perks associated with doing farm labor. For one, last year the town of Fillmore built a large apartment complex for the farm workers. These apt's are extremely nice three bedrooms that are furnished and being rented to the farm workers for $200 per month. Do you know of any place where you can get a 3 bedroom furnished apt. for $200 per month? Also, the farm workers get free child care, free medical, free legal services, free food, free tutoring, free moving assistance, reduced and sometimes free utilities and free appliances.

The growers in Oxnard pay $10.50 an hour plus $.50 per box of strawberries. When you add all the other perks they receive, it adds up to way more than many Americans are receiving, probably close to what an entrance construction worker made before the illegals took that industry over. But most people don't know about all these perks, because the only ones that get the information are the migrants. So most people think that these jobs are just minimum wage or below minimum wage.

These workers also have all holidays off and also when it rains, similar to construction workers, and here in Calif where crops are planted all year the work is fairly steady.

We have Americans who don't have the cognitive ability to do higher skilled work, and these jobs are needed for that group. Yet, the perks are only known to the illegals and not advertised to the public at large. There are a slew of nonprofits that the farm workers and illegals are their only goal of promoting. I was amazed at the amount given to the farm workers and the effort put out in getting them informed of what is available. As I told you PG$E and other large companies donate millions in time and effort to reach the workers. Yet, how many everyday Americans know of this?

Immigrant farm workers' challenge: Take our jobs
SAN FRANCISCO -- In a tongue-in-cheek call for immigration reform, farm workers are challenging unemployed Americans: Come on, take our jobs.
Arturo Rodriguez, the president of the United Farm Workers, says workers are tired of being blamed by politicians and anti-illegal immigration activists for taking American jobs.
Now the UFW is challenging the nation's unemployed citizens to apply for the some of the thousands of agricultural jobs posted with state agencies. The group says all applicants need to do is fill out an online form and they will be trained and connected to farms.
According to the Labor Department, more than half the nation's farm workers are illegal immigrants.
To drive the point home, Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" plans to feature the "Take Our Jobs" campaign on July 8.
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?id=.../san_francisco

Last edited by Jeanfromfillmore; 06-25-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:45 AM

You %##@^&*%$@%&*((%%#!!! Many in my family have. My daddy years ago, earned enough money to send for my grand parents and the other 11 kids and bring them to California. He's used to call us all cotton pickers!