Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Elections, Politics, and Partisanship

Elections, Politics, and Partisanship Topics relating to politics, elections, or party affiliations of interests to SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 04-19-2010, 02:07 AM

Default AZ Senate to vote Monday on controversial immigration bill

AZ Senate to vote Monday on controversial immigration bill
PHOENIX -- State senators on Monday could vote to make Arizona the toughest state on illegal immigration.

Opponents of the Senate Bill 1070 held a vigil outside Governor Jan Brewer's home Sunday evening, showing solidarity in their hope for her veto.

Members of the group said they believe the law would give local law enforcement license to racially profile.

The law would require police to question people about their immigration status if there is any reason to believe they are in the country illegally.

"Right now, the way things are being targeted, is that all Latinos are undocumented, and that's absolutely not true," said protester Alejandra Gomez. "I'm a citizen, and if I'm pulled over, that's ridiculous. It's unjust, it's immoral and it's inhumane."

The bill is sponsored by Senator Russel Pearce.

"I find it amazing that we continue to debate an issue that's so simple to me-- enforce the laws," said Pearce at a recent meeting.

But some local law enforcement agencies take the view that the new rules would leave them vulnerable to lawsuits if officers are perceived not to be aggressive enough, and that it puts a burden on them to enforce more laws when they are already stretched thin from budget cuts.

"If we've got to ship them down to MCSO-- they charge us, and they charge us a lot, and it will bankrupt our city," said Mesa Police Sgt. Bryan Soller, who is president of the Fraternal Order of Police Mesa Lodge's No. 9.

The bill would also make it illegal to block traffic when looking for or picking up day laborers, and would put aliens who are not carrying their greencards at risk of arrest.

"I understand the value of handcuffs, when they're on the right people," said Pearce.

Governor Brewer declined to comment on the bill because it has not yet reached here desk.

The demonstrators who held a vigil outside her home plan to set up another vigil outside the State Capitol for 24 hours starting Monday at 7 A.M.

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/ph...wrI1RAh3Q.cspx
Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 AM

I hope some of the folks who are really tired of being over run by Invaders will stage a counter protest.
DO NOT FORGET THE MURDERED AZ RANCHER!
If our laws were enforced we would not have this problem.

How is it that they can come out and protest, and in the Gov front yard no less, if they are afraid to come out of the shadows.
BS