Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Elections, Politics, and Partisanship

Elections, Politics, and Partisanship Topics relating to politics, elections, or party affiliations of interests to SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 12-01-2010, 09:50 AM

Default State can't bear burden

State can't bear burden of illegal immigration
DODGE CITY —
The Daily Globe’s November 23, 2010, “Guest Voices” article by Gatehouse News Service accurately combines political correctness and political savvy. The article’s author chastised Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and advised him, and amnesty advocates generally, to avoid taking positions on illegal immigration and insist that federal lawmakers and administrators deal with the thorny issues. Realistically, I have little expectation of the national government acting on illegal immigration, evidenced by the Obama Administration support of the Dream Act and suing Arizona for passing SB 1070.
National leaders are properly bearing the brunt of the criticism for the permissive attitude of allowing unchecked illegal immigration. There should have been better programs to ensure that citizens took available jobs rather than unemployment and welfare. Legislators should have enacted a guest worker program in which worker admittance was limited to those who were English speaking, healthy, high school graduates, no criminal record, have a job waiting and brought no dependants.
I’ve lived overseas for 17 years and know that there are tens of millions of foreigners who would have been eligible under these strict criteria. These willing workers would have immediately moved to the US to take jobs, paid into our Social Security program and left when their work permits expired, expecting benefits from their U.S. Social Security contributions via their own country’s national pension program under Totalization Agreements.
But the assignment of blame will not be useful, as Kansas must immediately deal with its share of the 15 million illegal immigrants and 15 million unemployed Americans. At this time, national legislators could develop a program in which unemployed Americans be rewarded for taking jobs that are currently being held by foreigners, but that is unlikely to happen, and I adamantly reject Gatehouse News Service’s admonition for those in state elective offices to avoid taking controversial positions on illegal immigration.
I’m seeking appointment to the 38th senatorial district that will become vacant when Tim Huelskamp resigns, but I’m not seeking the appointment to launch a career as a professional politician. My limited goals allow me to dispense with political correctness and acknowledge the negatives of illegal immigration so that real solutions can be proposed. Reapportionment will begin during this legislative session, with expectations that seats in the rural area will be geographically larger because of population increasing more in the eastern urban areas. Seemingly in contradiction, there are drastically increasing numbers of school age students in the 38th District.
These statistics are most likely created by illegal adults not being counted in the census, but their children are in school and are being counted. Additionally, our immigrant population has more children per family than third- and fourth-generation citizens.
Based on student numbers in USD 443, there is recognition that more school buildings are needed, yet voters have just rejected a bond issue to build a new middle school knowing that Dodge City is already the highest-taxed first-class city in Kansas.School districts statewide are bracing for expected cuts of $300 million. The only practical solution for these problems is to initiate legislation that will allow our 38th District workforce to evolve into employees with fewer school-age children.
I do not disagree with claims that the majority of immigrants are hard-working people who only want a better life for themselves and their children, but I quickly reject their unwarranted feelings of entitlement. I’m highly critical of rallies in Garden City with participants flying the Mexican flag, marching in opposition to Arizona Senate Bill 1070 and demanding additional rights and privileges for illegal immigrants.
Unfortunately, illegal immigration problems are not limited to costs associated with educating aliens. We are confronted with imported criminal elements, with four major Hispanic gangs vying for power and influence in the 38th District. Dodge City alone has rap sheets on 700 gang members, and police officers are assigned to permanent duty in Dodge City Middle School and Dodge City High School.
The tri-city area of Liberal – Garden City–Dodge City is an unwilling host of a gang-controlled national and international drug distribution ring, and Kansas is burdened with overcrowded prisons with many prisoners being non-citizens.
I have developed my positions without malice toward those who are less fortunate than we Americans. I served for two years in the Peace Corps and worked 13 years for the Japanese government, training Japanese adults for overseas service in developing countries. I have had positive influence on the lives of literally thousands of poor people in developing countries, and I have empathy for them, but I don’t want them to be allowed to come to Kansas without legal authority. Any form of rewarding illegal immigration will continue to encourage it, and Kansas can no longer bear the burden.
If selected as District 38 senator, my priorities will include innovative initiatives to solve problems that professional politicians will avoid as being against their own political interests.I will introduce and push for term-limit legislation, legislation that will reduce illegal immigration into Kansas, legislation that will provide incentives to businesses that employ only citizens, thereby improving the Kansas economy and lessening the burden of educating non-citizens,; and legislation that will permit Kansas to contract with overseas prisons to house their citizens who are sentenced to Kansas prisons.
http://www.dodgeglobe.com/opinions/x...al-immigration