Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > General Discussion

General Discussion Topics of a general nature not relative to any other specific section here

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 08-22-2012, 10:06 PM

Default Agricultural Field Work

This was advertised in the local paper. You'll notice the pay is not minimum wage, housing and transportation is included and the gov. provides medical, education, food, legal fees and just about any and everything they need. And don't think they live in a shack, some have recently been built and are very nice places to lay your hat. The growers complain they can't get enough workers, but those workers I've spoken with say they can't get enough work. Some of the jobs pay more than what is posted here. They get paid hourly plus piece work.

HELP WANTED
Agricultural Field Workers - Plan and cultivate crops for vegetable and fruit production; Set up, operate, and maintain irrigation equipment; Irrigate soils and plants, using pipes and ditch systems; Pull plans for transplanting; Set plants by hand and perform activities on a plant setter; Perform hand cultivation tasks, hand weeding, and hoeing in field; Load and unload supplies, packing equipment, and machinery with water, soap and chemicals; Keep count of harvested and loaded crops, ensuring accuracy of all counts, record keeping, overages, shortages, wrong product harvested and other record keeping; Unload packing supplies from equipment; Pick vegetable/fruits from plants or use knife to remove vegetable/fruit from plant according to size, color, shape and degree of maturity; Remove bloom end and place individual vegetable/ fruit in container or on conveyor belt of packing machine; May work on packing equipment; Circulate and push vegetable/fruit in a water tank; May separate vegetable/fruit according to size and uniformity and place in container; and Close container after packing and stacks full containers according to size. $10.24 per hour. The employer guarantees to offer the worker employment for a total number of work hours equal to at least three-fourths of the workdays of the total period beginning with the first workday after the arrival of the worker at the place of employment or the advertised contractual first day of need, whichever is later, and ending on the expiration date specified in the work contract or in its extensions, if any. Housing will be made available at no cost to all workings within a reasonable commuting distance. Transportation and subsistence expenses to the worksite will be provided by the employer or paid by the employer upon completion of 50% of the work contract, or earlier, if appropriate in the amount of $11.13. This is a temporary position. 45 positions are available. Applicants must apply at the State Workforce Agency in Sacramento, California. 800 Capitol Mall, MIC-55 Sacramento, CA 95814 (916) 653-9900. Job Order number: CA12900564. Job Location: Pacific Country Labor, Inc., 957 Faulkner Rd., Suite 211, Santa Paula, CA 93060.

Last edited by Jeanfromfillmore; 08-22-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:19 AM

Default Why?

With so many on unemployment and welfare why would those leave the comfort of their living room and TV and go out to toil in the hot sun ?

Because, if the Gubbment offered the jobs and the loafers refused they should be taken off unemployment and welfare.

Of course Barry Soetoro has seen to it that more and more freeloaders are welcome --------------------- so !!!!!!!

By law *( that's a laugh ) Americans must be given first chance. Then legal foreigners.

BTW I worked on farms from the age of 14. When I was 17 my pay was 25 cents an hour. I went to the next, neighboring, farm and doubled my wages ---- 50 cents an hour.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:43 AM

Jean,

These things are important, so I hope you don't mind if I make the entry a little more readable:

Quote:
This was advertised in the local paper. You'll notice the pay is not minimum wage, housing and transportation is included and the gov. provides medical, education, food, legal fees and just about any and everything they need.

And don't think they live in a shack, some have recently been built and are very nice places to lay your hat.

The growers complain they can't get enough workers, but those workers I've spoken with say they can't get enough work. Some of the jobs pay more than what is posted here. They get paid hourly plus piece work.
Quote:
HELP WANTED

Agricultural Field Workers -

Plan and cultivate crops for vegetable and fruit production; Set up, operate, and maintain irrigation equipment; Irrigate soils and plants, using pipes and ditch systems; Pull plans for transplanting; Set plants by hand and perform activities on a plant setter; Perform hand cultivation tasks, hand weeding, and hoeing in field; Load and unload supplies, packing equipment, and machinery with water, soap and chemicals; Keep count of harvested and loaded crops, ensuring accuracy of all counts, record keeping, overages, shortages, wrong product harvested and other record keeping; Unload packing supplies from equipment; Pick vegetable/fruits from plants or use knife to remove vegetable/fruit from plant according to size, color, shape and degree of maturity; Remove bloom end and place individual vegetable/ fruit in container or on conveyor belt of packing machine; May work on packing equipment; Circulate and push vegetable/fruit in a water tank; May separate vegetable/fruit according to size and uniformity and place in container; and Close container after packing and stacks full containers according to size.

$10.24 per hour

The employer guarantees to offer the worker employment for a total number of work hours equal to at least three-fourths of the workdays of the total period beginning with the first workday after the arrival of the worker at the place of employment or the advertised contractual first day of need, whichever is later, and ending on the expiration date specified in the work contract or in its extensions, if any.

Housing will be made available at no cost to all workings within a reasonable commuting distance.

Transportation and subsistence expenses to the work site will be provided by the employer or paid by the employer upon completion of 50% of the work contract, or earlier, if appropriate in the amount of $11.13.

This is a temporary position. 45 positions are available.

Applicants must apply at the State Workforce Agency in Sacramento, California.

800 Capitol Mall, MIC-55 Sacramento, CA 95814 (916) 653-9900. Job Order number: CA12900564. Job Location: Pacific Country Labor, Inc., 957 Faulkner Rd., Suite 211, Santa Paula, CA 93060.
Something to be noted is that the employer isn't paying for the housing, this is redistribution of income from the taxpayer ( When I was working in Oxnard I remember seeing a Spanish language flyer which detailed state subsidized agricultural housing and just who was proudly claiming credit for bringing it about).

They will probably utilize the state agricultural van pool program, so the taxpayers pick up the dime on that also.

This is the first I've heard of a farmer paying subsistence and travel expense, but the figure of $11.13 is meaningless the way it's written. Is that per day, month, or what? Note the carrot / stick presented in that it will kick in only after the job is halfway complete, lots of weasel room there in more than two directions.

If I were to get a $10.00 job, no one in government would provide me with subsidized housing to live in, perhaps for months between jobs (as it can be in agricultural work). How much does this break down towards yearly compensation on the taxpayer, and does this sort of thing contribute to the fact that what isn't paid through the front door with wages and benefits is paid through the back door via the tax base, in other words, how much would free market monthly rent would tenants pay on the units without subsidization?

When I saw that flier, I could not help but think that the subsidized housing would be defacto segregation. I believe I would not be be eligible under affirmative discrimination (wrong skin color) and even if I were, there would be some tenants who would purposefully try to induce me to move out (I've worked with illegals before, some are cool if they get to trust you, otherwise many can be devious passive - aggressive backstabbers with degree of aggressiveness depending on whether they need something from you or are waiting for any number of any type of of opportunities (such as talking crap about you to the boss behind your back - to get you fired in order to make an opening for cousin Luis). Usually the ones with any authority are unmitigated assholes - I've seen a few exceptions. I figure I can trust about 1 in 20, regardless of how my ass is kissed. On the other hand, despite how gregarious they tend to be among one another and how poor Mexicans share among one another, I don't think there's a lot of trust beyond their own families and proven friends - no one can screw a Mexican over like another Mexican and a borrachera can lead to some very regretful incidents over really stupid stuff. And it seems that a part of the Mexican consciousness assumes that guero is out to get the Mexican. My perception and confusion about who is what is that a Mexican who truly gives his genuine friendship will always be there for you, otherwise there's merely degrees of subtlety of social lubrication. However, I personally have a fondness for good, old school Mexican women - no one will treat you better.).

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 08-23-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:47 PM

Some of the housing provided, when there is a family (who knows if they are really related) is very nice. When AG came to visit me I showed him and his wife the apt/condos they built for them and he can tell you how nice they are. And all it takes is for someone to spend a few days in the fields to move their whole "family" in. The apts are furnished three bedrooms with quite a few amenities. They would probably rent for $1,100-$1,350 per month. What they do is move into one of the apts and then sneak in others who pay to share the bedrooms. In the end, the "legal tenents" walk away making a huge profit. And no one says a thing.

When the worker doesn't have a family, they often set them up in a dorm style compound. The workers stay there until they find some other living arrangement to go off to. It's like a front door stop over. After that they flood the town.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:21 PM

This is a pretty interesting want Ad.
I am 45 years old and grew up in Des Moines, Iowa. In High school and even my freshmen year in college we always had summer jobs detaseling corn. It payed minimum wage, and lots of kids did it.
No illegals were ever envolved at that time, just American kids.

My Aunt who lives in a rural part of England picked fruit in a nearby orchard. From what I heard it was just young woman and house wives doing the fruit picking.

A lot of American kids and adults would do the agricultural work, they were just driven out.
I guess the corporate owned farms don't have any kids to do the work.

Last edited by Greg in LA; 08-23-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:48 PM

I should also mention that the transportation system to get the kids to the farms was quite well organized. The kids would meet at the school parking lot and the bus would leave at 5 am sharp. They would drive the bus load of sleeply kids at least 1 hour to the customers farm and by 2:30 pm. The bus load of American teenagers would have the entire field completely detasseled.

I also recall that in collage the more adventuresome students would drive from the MidWest all the way to Alaska to work on fishing boats and farms, because they could make "big money" for the summer.

I never made it to Alaska, but it sounded pretty cool.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:53 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in LA View Post
I should also mention that the transportation system to get the kids to the farms was quite well organized. The kids would meet at the school parking lot and the bus would leave at 5 am sharp. They would drive the bus load of sleeply kids at least 1 hour to the customers farm and by 2:30 pm. The bus load of American teenagers would have the entire field completely detasseled.

I also recall that in collage the more adventuresome students would drive from the MidWest all the way to Alaska to work on fishing boats and farms, because they could make "big money" for the summer.

I never made it to Alaska, but it sounded pretty cool.
Alaska...very good in the summer; which is very short:

http://saveourstate.info/showthread.php?t=1908

Wages were higher, but cost of living is also. Lotta stuff costs bundles. Milk, lettuce, corn etc.
You can make a good amount of dough working in AK, but the fishing fleet is not for the faint of heart. The work is very hard, very risky, and there are many unscrupulous boat owners who always seem to "owe" their help. Illegals have worked their way up there too

Last edited by Ayatollahgondola; 08-23-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:14 PM

Yeh, the friends that went to Alaska all came back and said it wasn't as great a money making trip as they thought, They made good money on the ships, but spent most of it in the ports.

I didn't go and work on a fishing boat because I was too short and skinny

Plus the fact that there is no way my car would make it to Alaska!

Gosh, can't imagine driving to Alaska now with $4.00 - $5.00 gas. but people did it back in the 80's and 90's. gas was $1.10 -$1.80.