Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > General Discussion

General Discussion Topics of a general nature not relative to any other specific section here

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 PM

Default Happy Thanksgiving !

Happy Thanksgiving!

Let all be thankful for what we have.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 AM

Default Back to you.

Greg:

You got that right.

Here in New York/New Jersey Frankenstorm Sandy wiped out entire towns and marinas. Hundreds/thousands lost everything. 200 homes in one town burned down due to ruptured gas lines and fallen electric lines.

Thousands are receiving hand out clothes, eating in soup kitchens, living in shelters. Some homes still do not have electricity back yet.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetibbe View Post
Greg:

You got that right.

Here in New York/New Jersey Frankenstorm Sandy wiped out entire towns and marinas. Hundreds/thousands lost everything. 200 homes in one town burned down due to ruptured gas lines and fallen electric lines.

Thousands are receiving hand out clothes, eating in soup kitchens, living in shelters. Some homes still do not have electricity back yet.
Maybe that will give people the true perspective of what it is to actually be poor. These are the people who should be helpped with entitlements, not all those that have their shopping list for Sears, KMart, Walmart with their babydaddy in tow. This country claims to have such a poor population, yet when you look at what those people are left with you get a real picture of what poor is and who should be helpped. These people didn't drop out of high school and have a bunch of kids or get on drugs and claim poverty as result of those bad choices; these are people who through no fault of their own need help and are the sort of situations that entitlements were originally intended to provide relief.

Last edited by Jeanfromfillmore; 11-21-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in LA View Post
Happy Thanksgiving!

Let all be thankful for what we have.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. We're even having great weather to enjoy.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:17 PM

'Happy Thanksgiving Save Our State'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc

Thankful for the coolest rock in the galaxy!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 PM

Happy Thanksgiving!

If you travel for the holiday, be careful. Kick back, listen to some soothing music, and understand it will take you forever to get anywhere.

We got an early quit today. I told the group that I don't fight the traffic anymore to get home - we work everywhere, I'm working only 40 miles from the house right now and got home early TODAY), that if I would have to travel to get home fighting any kind of traffic I would stay in the motel tonight and leave out about 3 or so in the morning. I'll do that any Friday evening if we're not working Saturday with a bitch of a commute (I'm not that tough anymore, used to drive some TIME and MILES everyday to get home, like 4 hours round trip for 140 miles (91 "Freeway, the worlds longest parking lot) while working 10 hour days or 240 miles round trip a day with lighter traffic working 12 hr days - won't do it anymore. Used to drive over 300 miles Friday or Saturday evening to get home only to leave for the same mileage back Sunday night or Monday morning, a thing of my past.

That kind of thing works for some, not everyone. Some just have to travel a couple hundred miles and more at 10 to 30 miles an hour, can't wait to go (Several might live [have their home] in central California or farther north). Highway 395 from Hesperia to Bishop during Thanksgiving comes to mind. Anywhere through San Diego county or the greater Los Angeles area sucks (including the Inland Empire - four years ago it took me four hours or more to go something like 90 miles or less from Van Nuys on Thanksgiving eve). Even in the mid 70's during the Thanksgiving Holiday where 395 and 14 come together in the Indian Wells Valley there was a very looong, very slooow line on Sunday afternoon between Pearsonville and the Green Acres Cafe and Gas station the Steinmetz's owned (gone, now under the northbound road widening) on 395 north of the 14 highway. Saw it every year.

Just for curiosity - I knew the old people who originally owned Green Acres (they're all dead now), the place had slot machines, I believe sometime between the 1930s and the 1950s even though (I believe) it was illegal.

Once again, happy Thanksgiving to all, even to those with whom we disagree.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 11-21-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:34 PM
SOS Associate

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to all. I won't be commuting anywhere...thankfully....So all my effort will go into sampling all the good meats and sleeping it off after. My daughter brought home a boyfriend this thanksgiving......from France. He's had a hell of a commute. At least he isn't speaking S-Pan-Yol

Looks like we might be in for some tough times ahead. I'm speaking collectively, as in all of us here, so stock up, dig in, and prepare to fight a protracted battle in the year ahead. But take time tomorrow to relax, and reflect on the hardships those first pilgrims endured getting here, and surviving after arrival. From what I've read, those hearty, determined souls braved seasickness and poor food for over two months on an old creaking ship assembled with hand forged fasteners and no liferafts. And on the way, they hammered out the Magna Carta, a document that would help them govern themselves. Those were self-reliant, independent people. But freedom and independence require that type of mettle. I'm sure glad they took the plunge. For that I'm very thankful

Take a few pictures of your bounty tomorrow and post them here so everyone can see your harvest. We don't do enough pictures here anymore
Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by willworkforfood View Post
'Happy Thanksgiving Save Our State'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc
That wasn't a bad tune, but I kept waiting for the brand name of the beer to be plastered on the screen in big letters.

Quote:
Thankful for the coolest rock in the galaxy!
It's a cool planet, but there's just a tad more gravity than I really need
Old 11-23-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
That wasn't a bad tune, but I kept waiting for the brand name of the beer to be plastered on the screen in big letters.
I like the words, "I get knocked down, but I get up again, their never gonna keep me down"

Quote:
It's a cool planet, but there's just a tad more gravity than I really need
Yes, to much gravity makes roofing suck!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:13 PM
SOS Associate