Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Associates in Action

Associates in Action SOS associates may propose events, activities and projects in the pursuit of our agenda.

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 05-29-2010, 11:03 PM
"SZinWestLA"

It's 4 feet by 2 feet.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:46 PM
"SZinWestLA"

Default Santa Ana College Protest

xxxxx
Old 05-30-2010, 09:20 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerailAmnesty.com View Post
I agree, which is why I've been wondering why the planning committee hasn't announced anything. Our SoCal calendar is empty. We haven't hit the streets since Santa Clarita II.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
When we have sufficient financial support to support a protest, then we will have the ability to do one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PochoPatriot View Post
OK, I'll bite...since when do we need "sufficient financial support"? Every event I organized, I did without any money.

Either we are about action, or we are about sitting behind our keyboards and bitching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
I will not organize an event unless we have posters or at least a banner. The last event cost one of our members about $200 which he gladly donated and has helped out even more. There is the cost of this site and other expenses which only three members have donated to help out. They know who they are, and thank you so much ladies. But if we are to have a rally or protest, we need to have our organization represented with something with our name on it. Davi has the sign trailer, but we have nothing.
If I may, I'd like to interject:

Derail Amnesty - the reason the planning committee has not announced anything is because no one else has joined the committee. I believe you still have access to the planning committee section, so if you would, please post something in there about this.

Pocho - It does take a small, but necessary amount of cash to sustain the place here. The website costs money, the software that operates the forum, fees for the corporation, etc, have all been borne largely by the corporate officers and a precious(very precious) few donors. In addition, to organize an event there can be things that cost money like permits, which were an issue last time as Jean mentioned. Other things can crop up like insurance binders,...deposits, things like that. Last tour we didn't have a decent banner, and when that's the case, we may draw the interest of passers-by and media who end up focusing on the oppositions banner because...well, they had some, and we didn't.
Also, to do it right there should be, background PR work beforehand. Calls, faxes, emails for notification, advertisement...all that stuff often takes place during peak hours for the people who own the communications systems these days. Believe me, when you start getting hundred and fifty dollar a month communications bills you start to humble yourself somewhat.

So with that said, there is of course another method which is just to hit the streets and let the cards fall where they may. I'm all for impromptu stuff 'cause action is king, but we still have to consider the corporation and our responsibility to manage it. I've tried to make this point clear before, but just to reiterate, the place is not going to be run as a pirate ship anymore. We do things in a legitimate manner now, and that means we plan and execute as an organization, even if we are a loose affiliation of individualists.

So, if we're to do this, let's do it together. Go to the event planning section and request access if you don't have it. If you want to do events, you'll be granted access; that's a given. From there the lead person can solicit others to draw up fliers, create banners, and plan logistics. That way there's no argument or blame over who was supposed to do what, and when, and it will increase the chances that your event will be successful. And since most of us are used to frugal lifestyles these days, we can pool our talents for getting things done cheaply.

We are here to help. That's what non-profits do
Old 05-30-2010, 09:28 PM
SOS Associate

to join the event planning committee follow this link

http://saveourstate.info/usercp.php

Next, under the second heading on the left hand side look for "group memberships".

At the top you'll see several and you choose the event planning one. The administrator will be sent an email, at which time it will be authenticated.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:24 AM
"SZinWestLA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
If I may, I'd like to interject:

Derail Amnesty - the reason the planning committee has not announced anything is because no one else has joined the committee. I believe you still have access to the planning committee section, so if you would, please post something in there about this.

A. Actually, I don't. It was cancelled shortly after the departures from the planning committee (of which I was one) - and I'm not requesting renewed access.

B. There were multiple members left when I left. How many people and how much time does it take to orchestrate a public appearance? It's been months since Santa Clarita II.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:22 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerailAmnesty.com View Post
A. Actually, I don't. It was cancelled shortly after the departures from the planning committee (of which I was one) - and I'm not requesting renewed access.

B. There were multiple members left when I left. How many people and how much time does it take to orchestrate a public appearance? It's been months since Santa Clarita II.
It takes either no time, or a lot of time to orchestrate an event. It's been my experience though, that the more time and effort you put into prior planning, the more successful an event will be.

We did plan some events since Santa Clarita. The one at the state capitol for instance, although it was cancelled when I fell. We also did the one at the Mexican Advocacy day with the sign trailer.

OK, so if you don't want to do this gig through the planning committee, then it can't be an SOS event. If you want to do it as a Derail Amnesty event you are still going to get help from us, because once again, that's what we are here for. The work of our charity is all about helping others get on their feet so they can be effective in their communities.
How can we help you?
Old 05-31-2010, 05:35 AM

united we stand! Divided we fail!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:59 AM
"SZinWestLA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
It takes either no time, or a lot of time to orchestrate an event. It's been my experience though, that the more time and effort you put into prior planning, the more successful an event will be.

We did plan some events since Santa Clarita. The one at the state capitol for instance, although it was cancelled when I fell. We also did the one at the Mexican Advocacy day with the sign trailer.

OK, so if you don't want to do this gig through the planning committee, then it can't be an SOS event. If you want to do it as a Derail Amnesty event you are still going to get help from us, because once again, that's what we are here for. The work of our charity is all about helping others get on their feet so they can be effective in their communities.
How can we help you?

No, I'll bow out of this one. There are certainly folks better suited for organizing and with more time than me. Let's keep this an SOS happening (I run a website, not a group that throws events). The planning committee can grab the reins for the Santa Ana gig, that's fine with me.