Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Social Scene > The Great Outdoors

The Great Outdoors Hunting, fishing, hiking, climbing, boating and other outdoor activities

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 03-30-2011, 03:50 AM

Guns have always been a part of the homes I have lived in. No one in CA needs an open carry because, well, it seems that all the criminals carry any way.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 PM
SOS Associate

Well, it's time again. I'll be heading to the shooting range this weekend. A ten mile hike to build strength for hunting season. If you can't make it in this heat in city terrain, you better not head out into the wilderness either.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:00 PM

May I recommend a running digital audio recorder and attorney Jason Davis on speed dial? Nah... you knew that would be my first suggestion.

Be safe, and don't take any crap.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:48 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
May I recommend a running digital audio recorder and attorney Jason Davis on speed dial? Nah... you knew that would be my first suggestion.

Be safe, and don't take any crap.
I doubt law enforcement is going to cuff or detain me this time. I did crack myself in the kneecap this morning with a crowbar, but I'm going on the hike anyway.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:30 PM
SOS Associate

The Urban Rifle Hike II happened today. After making Brekkie for my wife, I gathered up my 30.06 rifle and 20 rounds of ammo, along with two bottles of water, an extra shirt, first aid kit, and a video camera. I packed everything except the rifle in a small backpack, and rubber-banded a small American flag to the barrel of the rifle. At the last minute I opted to take along two left-over lumpia for lunch. I set out at a little after 9 am, and managed a brisk pace. There was no interference from law enforcement this time at all. One waved at me, and that was the extent of their involvement. I got a lot of looks for sure. No one spoke to me, save for a few joggers who passed. The day was hpt, but I manged to stay in the shade for quite a bit of the time. Not to say I didn't sweat, 'cause I did plenty. I tried a new route down a road that just opened some months ago, and traffic was a bit lighter on it. It also shave a few blocks from the whole tour, but it was still about 10 miles one way. I encountered a small dead rattlesnake which gave me a start, 'cause he didn't really look dead at first. Other than that I did my best not to look anything but pleasant to everyone. I arrived at the shooting center at high noon, and bought a ticket. From there is was business as usual with the exception that a few people had brought along some high tech gear that I had never seen before. One had a few antennas jutting out and was placed right in the line of fire in front of there rifle position, and a few feet ahead. All that was hooked up to something else by wires and wireless. Don't know what it did, and didn't want to ask today. I also couldn't help but notice how so many people had newer, sportier looking rifles that resembled your Rambo movie equipment. I shot off some rounds and then asked my wife to pick me up. Too sore to walk ten miles home, My wife swung by the Yoghurtville store on the way back and treated me to a sugar free German chocolate cake flavor yoghurt. I'd kind of swore off of the sweets for the next few months, but what the hell.......
Old 07-23-2011, 04:59 PM

Glad to hear it went well today. Let's hope the last time, when you had trouble, was the "last time" you had trouble.

I just found out my truck had been broken into and my anti-illegal alien/MECha posters were thrown in the vacant lot close to my house. Yes, it was probably illegals considering the town is at least 80% "Hispanic/Latino" which means at least 40% of the 15,000 residents are illegal. They rifled through the glove compartment and behind the seat. I don't leave anything of value outside of the house. They've stolen my hoses, 2 bar-b-ques, spare tires and what every they can get their hands on.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
From there is was business as usual with the exception that a few people had brought along some high tech gear that I had never seen before. One had a few antennas jutting out and was placed right in the line of fire in front of there rifle position, and a few feet ahead. All that was hooked up to something else by wires and wireless. Don't know what it did, and didn't want to ask today.
That would be a bullet chronograph. They use this to determine bullet speed and check performance of their loads. It's all about the ballistics, man.

Quote:
I also couldn't help but notice how so many people had newer, sportier looking rifles that resembled your Rambo movie equipment.
You might be refering to the proliferation of 'AR' pattern OLL's (Off-List Lowers). While most of the nation enjoys AR-15 rifles without encumberance, California attempted to ban certain types of weapons by manufacturer, model and certain features. This included Colt AR-15 lowers. Much to the legislature's chargin, California gunnies found that it is possible to configure AR and AK variants to comply with the law. Funny thing is, even the 'featureless' AR's go 'bang' and perforate targets in the same way other evil black rifles do.

Quote:
I shot off some rounds and then asked my wife to pick me up.
You are way too easy to please popping off just 20 rounds.

Glad that this trip wasnt interupted...
Old 07-23-2011, 05:49 PM
SOS Associate

[QUOTE=CitaDeL;17181]

You are way too easy to please popping off just 20 rounds.
QUOTE]

No, I'm just too poor these days to be just having fun.
.06 rounds are quite costly

Quote:
I just found out my truck had been broken into and my anti-illegal alien/MECha posters were thrown in the vacant lot close to my house. Yes, it was probably illegals considering the town is at least 80% "Hispanic/Latino" which means at least 40% of the 15,000 residents are illegal. They rifled through the glove compartment and behind the seat. I don't leave anything of value outside of the house. They've stolen my hoses, 2 bar-b-ques, spare tires and what every they can get their hands on.
Jean, if it's any consolation, while I was walking down Sunrise Blvd nearing the gun range, Nearly every wire vault that fed a street light for about a mile had been opened and had wires cut or removed. And that area ain't hispanic at all. But we've obviously got enough of our native born thieves, and don't need foreign imports
Old 08-08-2011, 03:33 AM

Default Same in New York

I live in a suburban Village that is upscale and has very few illegals or Latinos at all. But the next village to the North is overrun with them and it is an open sewer.

A few years ago I had a company owned Ford Explorer stolen from my driveway. It was pushed out into the street then started. I lost over $4,000 worth of tools and instruments $1,500 of which were my own personal things. And the New York State Department of Transportation documents for a contract we had.

The Town police phoned me 3 days later. They had recovered it - yep - in the next Village. It had been abandoned partially parked out in a travel lane. Neighbors phoned in complaining. It was, of course, stripped of contents.

A good deal was my fault. The Ford ignition was failing and the key wouldn't turn without extensive wiggling. I should have had it replaced. I was accustomed to leaving the key in the ignition because it was so troublesome. I had parked vehicles in my driveway for years and never had a problem. There is almost no crime in my Village.

I phoned the mayor, who I know, and who lives on the next street. He said that same night he had reports of two other vehicles burglarized. It is the illegal aliens prowling the neighborhoods looking for money and cell phones. Apparently it was the custom of my fellow Villagers to also leave their cars unlocked.

Naturally I suspected the garbage men. And the lawn service laborers who almost all of my neighbors hire. *( But not me, I cut my own, I won't allow them on my property ).

You've heard of the old days when people didn't lock their doors? Well those days are gone forever now in my Village.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
You've heard of the old days when people didn't lock their doors? Well those days are gone forever now in my Village.
Locks were made for just one purpose, to keep things safe. That is not always enough.
Sorry Jean. I am fotunately I able to park my car in the garage.
Times are hard these days and probably will get worse so, do be careful.

AG, glad you had a good trip this time.