Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Social Scene > The Great Outdoors

The Great Outdoors Hunting, fishing, hiking, climbing, boating and other outdoor activities

Immigration Pushed To The Forefront Again.... Thanks! To Everyone Who Has Propelled This Issue To Its' Rightful Position. Years Of Hard Work Are Paying Off.....Keep Up The Good Work!......
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-12-2010, 02:23 PM
REWHBLCAIN's Avatar
REWHBLCAIN REWHBLCAIN is offline
Archer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ma
Posts: 451
Default My deer hunting year with a bow

http://thecamoexperience.webs.com/ap...lbumid=7871715
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-15-2010, 09:36 AM
tiresmokindad tiresmokindad is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: My deer hunting year with a bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWHBLCAIN View Post
Nice bow and arrow. I think I could hunt like that deer.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Twoller Twoller is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,296
Default

Nice game. What's your strategy, if any, for dressing them out?

Do you hunt with anything besides a bow?
__________________
The United States of America is for citizens only! Everyone else OUT.
Criminalize asking party affilation for voter registration! End the "two party system"!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-17-2010, 11:31 AM
REWHBLCAIN's Avatar
REWHBLCAIN REWHBLCAIN is offline
Archer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ma
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
Nice game. What's your strategy, if any, for dressing them out?

Do you hunt with anything besides a bow?
No only bow.

I scout all year long, put up stands, use trail cameras,use doe urine and calls to get them in.

I t is extremely difficult to get big deer to come in because they can smell you a long ways away just like a tracking dog.

Some of the best times I have had in life were just sitting in my tree stand 20 feet up just taking in nature and a beautiful day. Nothing like the first snow fall of the year when hunting.

No strategy really for field dressing them, just the normal way. Then I drop the deer of at my butcher and he does the rest for me. MMM good!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Ayatollahgondola's Avatar
Ayatollahgondola Ayatollahgondola is offline
SOS Associate
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWHBLCAIN View Post
No strategy really for field dressing them, just the normal way. Then I drop the deer of at my butcher and he does the rest for me. MMM good!
Real men cut their own
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 PM
REWHBLCAIN's Avatar
REWHBLCAIN REWHBLCAIN is offline
Archer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ma
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
Real men cut their own
I used to but find it easier to have my friend do it for me now adays, getting old like you.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Twoller Twoller is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWHBLCAIN View Post
No only bow.

I scout all year long, put up stands, use trail cameras,use doe urine and calls to get them in.

I t is extremely difficult to get big deer to come in because they can smell you a long ways away just like a tracking dog.

Some of the best times I have had in life were just sitting in my tree stand 20 feet up just taking in nature and a beautiful day. Nothing like the first snow fall of the year when hunting.

No strategy really for field dressing them, just the normal way. Then I drop the deer of at my butcher and he does the rest for me. MMM good!
Cutting up meat is real work. But if you are fussy about eating it, then it can get expensive trying to get a butcher to do it the way you want.

Have you ever hunted with a simple recurve? What kind of bow is your compound? I'd like to get something just for the range, I haven't the means to go to the field.

It so happens I have 30-06, a hunting license ...

... but no car.
__________________
The United States of America is for citizens only! Everyone else OUT.
Criminalize asking party affilation for voter registration! End the "two party system"!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-17-2010, 02:46 PM
REWHBLCAIN's Avatar
REWHBLCAIN REWHBLCAIN is offline
Archer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ma
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
Cutting up meat is real work. But if you are fussy about eating it, then it can get expensive trying to get a butcher to do it the way you want.

Have you ever hunted with a simple recurve? What kind of bow is your compound? I'd like to get something just for the range, I haven't the means to go to the field.

It so happens I have 30-06, a hunting license ...

... but no car.
No I have not hunted with a recurve, I just gave away a Ben Pearson recurve to a young lad so he could get into archery and hopefully learn to appreciate the out doors like so many do.

My butcher dose it right on the money the way I want it every time. ~knock on wood~ $90.00 I keep it simple and get steaks,back straps and burger. (and of course those great tenderloins).

I have a Hoyt compound bow (Power tec) that is set at 60lbs, the good bows now adays have great kinetic energy behind them so pulling 60 lbs today is the same as 80lbs 6 or 7 years ago.on a good day I can shoot 2 inch groups with it at 20 yards. shoots 312 FPS

The best bet if you get a compound bow is find a place where the guy will set it up for you with the knock, sights,arrow rest,stabilizer and help you pick the right arrows. If you just go into the store and buy everything you need you will pull your hair out trying to get it right after you get home.

If you shoot a recurve you will make things allot easier for yourself but in the long run I don't think you will have as much fun because you can shoot 50 yards or better with a compound.



My bow without the bells and whistles.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Twoller Twoller is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,296
Default

Looks like fun. A bit pricy for me, but I'm more likely to be shooting at a range than hunt at this point. I suppose a good bow is still cheaper than a good cartridge rifle.

Muzzle loading is another thing I'd like to try.
__________________
The United States of America is for citizens only! Everyone else OUT.
Criminalize asking party affilation for voter registration! End the "two party system"!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-18-2010, 12:59 PM
REWHBLCAIN's Avatar
REWHBLCAIN REWHBLCAIN is offline
Archer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ma
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
Looks like fun. A bit pricy for me, but I'm more likely to be shooting at a range than hunt at this point. I suppose a good bow is still cheaper than a good cartridge rifle.

Muzzle loading is another thing I'd like to try.
special Carbon fiber arrows I have about $1200.00 into just the bow.

You can get a good bow with all the fixings for under $500.00
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright SaveOurState 2009 - 2016 All Rights Reserved