Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Associates in Action

Associates in Action SOS associates may propose events, activities and projects in the pursuit of our agenda.

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 05-17-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMyOwn View Post
This has got to be one of the nuttiest posts I've ever seen.

Really. . . seriously. . . you're giving way too much credit to the fringe.

I didn't give anyone credit. I have no idea what you are referring to. I wasn't implying that they would get anywhere with what they were doing. It seamed the your post was confused as to who was protesting who and why. Actually I don't care what happens in sports, they bore me.

I'm not a sports fan of any sorts. Today most are a cross between the Olympics and Roman sacrifice.

Last edited by Jeanfromfillmore; 05-17-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
I believe what is being pointed to is the reconquestas are protesting because they want all sports to become involved in their reconquest. Sports today are not about the sport anymore, its become a vicarious way to feel power transferred from a sports team. That's why gangs identify with them. The sport itself is a commercial enterprise. Real love for the games are played where money isn't exchanged.
Quote:
This has got to be one of the nuttiest posts I've ever seen.

Really. . . seriously. . . you're giving way too much credit to the fringe.

Quote:
I didn't give anyone credit. I have no idea what you are referring to. I wasn't implying that they would get anywhere with what they were doing. It seamed the your post was confused as to who was protesting who and why. Actually I don't care what happens in sports, they bore me.

I'm not a sports fan of any sorts. Today most are a cross between the Olympics and Roman sacrifice.
Jeanfromfillmore, you really nailed it that time. Field sports as they exist under our Roman occupation are a waste of time. Yes, that is why the gangs love professional teams and players and identify with them so much.

I'll go even further and say that professional sports are fake competition, just like big time wrestling. It's all sucked up in chasing records, boosting ratings and selling crap.

Have you ever seen Little League Baseball? It's an expensive kiddie parade where the first job is to dignify the conspicuous consumption of professional sports. The tiny little uniforms, the immaculate fields perfectly scaled down and all the technical adornments, it's all pretty weird. Somewhere the kids are supposed to be having fun, but the adults are the ones showing the most excitement.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Your post in bold is what I was originally saying (about it being "laughable"), so we agree on that point. These protesters will do more harm and embarrassment to their own "movement".
As far as "gangs identifying", sports rivalry has been around forever, like politics 'rivalry'. But saying "I believe what is being pointed to is the reconquestas are protesting because they want all sports to become involved in their reconquest. is just nutty to me, and it won't happen.
These gangs hardly raise a blip on the radar of national and world sports.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
Jeanfromfillmore, you really nailed it that time. Field sports as they exist under our Roman occupation are a waste of time. Yes, that is why the gangs love professional teams and players and identify with them so much.
It's in the mind of the beholder. . .

Quote:
I'll go even further and say that professional sports are fake competition, just like big time wrestling. It's all sucked up in chasing records, boosting ratings and selling crap.
Darn those sports! All those fans, all that money, all those jobs, all those businesses all that revenue, it's just all so bad for our economy and American way.

Dude, you need to get some air. . .
Old 05-17-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:

As far as "gangs identifying", sports rivalry has been around forever, like politics 'rivalry'. But saying "I believe what is being pointed to is the reconquestas are protesting because they want all sports to become involved in their reconquest. is just nutty to me, and it won't happen.
These gangs hardly raise a blip on the radar of national and world sports.
Sports rivalry has always been an infection on any society it crops up in. You couldn't possibly be paying attention and miss the endless riots and violence that accompany soccer games, for example, and how that violence reflects struggles going on both on the street and politically. Some gangs actually start as groups of sports fans.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:46 PM

Years ago I read Frederick Douglass' autobiography and he recounted how the slave owners would give slaves time off over the Xmas holidays and provided ulimited liquor and tried to keep them involved in physical things such as running, wrestling and fighting each other. Douglass said it was considered a disgrace not to be drunk and slaves who made productive use of their leisure time were frowned upon by the master.

He also said, "A slave who was drunk gave no thought of liberty or escape to the north. It was the sober thoughtful slave who was a threat to the master's security."

This hit me like a thunderclap! It dawned on me that most people I know spend their holidays watching athetic events on TV while they sit on their couch drugging themselves with alocohol. I have never found a single redeeming thing about professional athletics. They only originated in the late 1800's and have not been much of a blessing for our civilization.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
Sports rivalry has always been an infection on any society it crops up in. You couldn't possibly be paying attention and miss the endless riots and violence that accompany soccer games, for example, and how that violence reflects struggles going on both on the street and politically. Some gangs actually start as groups of sports fans.
I'm sorry you're this shallow and only see the [very slight] dark side of sports.

The other side of rivalry is comradery.

Last edited by MowMyOwn; 05-17-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:57 PM

Here's the article;
Quote:
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson refused to criticize Arizona's new immigration law, triggering a backlash among activists who plan a protest outside Staples Center on Monday night.

Jackson was asked two weeks ago about a plan by the Phoenix Suns to wear their Los Suns jerseys during a playoff game on May 5, Cinco de Mayo. The immigration law spurred the Suns' decision to use the jerseys to honor Arizona's Latino community.

"Am I crazy, or am I the only one that heard when the legislators said that we just took United States immigration law and adapted it to our state?' " Jackson responded.

When the reporter suggested that Arizona had usurped federal law, Jackson corrected him. "It's not usurping, they just copied it, is what they said they did, the legislators. Then they give it some teeth to be able to enforce it."

The biggest questions about the law center on how it could be enforced without leading to racial profiling of Hispanics and without alienating residents in Hispanic neighborhoods with whom police have spent years trying to build trust.

The law, which is scheduled to take effect July 29, has triggered protests and prompted several cities to boycott Arizona businesses. Los Angeles is the largest of those cities.

"I have respect for those who oppose the new Arizona immigration law, but I am wary of putting entire sports organizations in the middle of political controversies," Jackson said in a statement issued Monday.

He said he hoped his statement would not be used by either side to rally activists.

Activists want the Lakers to put on the Los Lakers jerseys they wore for a game on March 21 and in years past to honor Hispanic fans. Lakers spokesman John Black said those jerseys will not be worn during the playoffs.

"We will not be getting involved in choosing sides among our many different support groups in any debate, nor will we be getting involved in political issues of this nature," Black said.

"Our focus and goal at this time is on basketball, winning games, and hopefully winning another championship, which we feel the vast majority of our fans want us to focus on," he added.
A standing 'O' for Phil!

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...#ixzz0oEKRfWyH
Old 05-17-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
They only originated in the late 1800's and have not been much of a blessing for our civilization.
Aside from ushering in the Civil Rights movement through the Brooklyn Dodgers integration of baseball, they have done a damn thing.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Continent Thief

Right on, Phil Jackson! I really hope the Lakers kick the asses of those Hispandering "Los Suns". A Laker sweep would be some great poetic justice!

Ich Bin Ein Arizonan!

"I entirely reject the concept, however, of "anchor babies." If parents are found to be here illegally, then the whole family, children as well, should be sent back to the parents' country of origin."