Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > State Government

State Government Issues of importance to SOS associates relating to their state government.

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 11-01-2009, 04:26 PM

Default Census Change Will Cost California Five House Seats

Census Change Will Cost California Five House Seats
A proposal from Republican Sen. David Vitter to count only U.S. citizens and not illegal aliens in the 2010 census would cost California five congressional seats, a new analysis of census data reveals.
The Constitution requires that congressional districts be reapportioned every 10 years based on a count of the "persons" in each state. The 2010 census form does not ask about citizenship.
Vitter's proposal would ban federal financing for the census if a citizenship question is not included. The Louisiana lawmaker argues that counting noncitizens would "artificially increase the population count" in states with large numbers of illegal aliens, and thereby give those states larger congressional delegations than they deserve.
An analysis by demographers at Queens College of the City University of New York found that not counting illegals would cost California five seats, and New York and Illinois one seat each.
Vitter's proposal would enable Louisiana, Iowa, Michigan and Pennsylvania to avoid the expected loss of one seat, while Montana, North Carolina, Indiana, Oregon and South Carolina would each gain a seat, The New York Times reported.
If all residents are counted in 2010, Florida, Georgia, Arizona, Nevada and Utah would gain one seat and Texas would get three. Under Vitter's proposal, Texas would gain only one seat, the analysis found.
Vitter said in mid-October that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid wants illegals to be counted so that left-leaning states with large numbers of undocumented aliens will gain seats, according to The Hill newspaper.
Illegals counted in the 2000 census gave California up to five additional seats in Congress, according to Vitter, who said: "Basically states with large illegal populations, starting with California, are rewarded and other states are penalized."
According to The Times, the prospects for Vitter's proposal in the Democratic-controlled Senate are "doubtful."
http://mail.google.com/mail/?hl=en&s...4b20477d7473ec
Old 05-03-2010, 12:33 PM

Census Takers are going around house to house, started May 1. One came to my house today, I told her I already mailed it in. She proceeded to take out the form anyway. Asked my name and ethnicity I told her my name and HUMAN RACE. That was it. I looked up Census on line and it said census takers work with the Marshall and could fine you a $100.00. Illegal Aliens can refuse to answer the questions. What about Americans?

Last edited by Ole Glory; 05-03-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:36 PM

No one has ever been fined or arrested for not filling out the census form.
The US Chamber of Commerce is not an enforcement agency.

I don't plan to tell them any more than you did.