Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Priority Topics Section > Immigration

Immigration Topics relating to the subject of US Immigration

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 05-30-2010, 12:12 PM

As I understand it, the only argument which could be successful against the Arizona immigration law is whether immigration enforcement is the sole domain of the Federal government, as is printing money and the like.

With all the precedent of the states cooperating with the Federal government concerning immigration, it would have to be a question of whether enforcement cooperation is merely permitted by the feds or whether the states have the self governmental right to enforce mirrored Federal law.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
As I understand it, the only argument which could be successful against the Arizona immigration law is whether immigration enforcement is the sole domain of the Federal government, as is printing money and the like.

With all the precedent of the states cooperating with the Federal government concerning immigration, it would have to be a question of whether enforcement cooperation is merely permitted by the feds or whether the states have the self governmental right to enforce mirrored Federal law.
The federal government is the only one who can enforce immigration law. What Arizona is doing is police power, which our constitution does not allow the federal government to do.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
The federal government is the only one who can enforce immigration law. What Arizona is doing is police power, which our constitution does not allow the federal government to do.
The Feds have done quite a bit of policing over the last two hundred years, whether it is constitutional or not.

In the matter of immigration law, the government has chosen not to enforce.

For example, the executive employee at ICE coming out on record that ICE won't process illegal aliens Arizona detains.

After I heard that, I made it clear to my elected representatives that if a government employee refuses to do his job, it is insubordination and that person needs to be fired.

I also made it clear that that if elected officials had no interest in seeing to it that government employees do the job they were hired to do, there was no real reason for those officials to continue with federal employment as well.

They can't keep the lid on the immigration issue much longer, and however it is resolved it's my belief that there will be quite a few formerly secure politicians unhorsed over the couple of elections over the issue.

Hay burros en el maiz

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

Old 05-30-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
The Feds have done quite a bit of policing over the last two hundred years, whether it is constitutional or not.

In the matter of immigration law, the government has chosen not to enforce.

For example, the executive employee at ICE coming out on record that ICE won't process illegal aliens Arizona detains.

After I heard that, I made it clear to my elected representatives that if a government employee refuses to do his job, it is insubordination and that person needs to be fired.

I also made it clear that that if elected officials had no interest in seeing to it that government employees do the job they were hired to do, there was no real reason for those officials to continue with federal employment as well.

They can't keep the lid on the immigration issue much longer, and however it is resolved it's my belief that there will be quite a few formerly secure politicians unhorsed over the couple of elections over the issue.
I agree with you 100%, but what I was pointing out is that the state of Arizona is well within the Constitution with what they are doing. Only states can use "Police Power" that is why there is no "Government Police". The government is allowed to investigate then take it to the states to police or courts to enforce. This is not what our government is doing, and we all know it. But the left is crying that what Arizona is doing is unconstitutional.

It will be interesting to see what happens in court.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
I agree with you 100%, but what I was pointing out is that the state of Arizona is well within the Constitution with what they are doing. Only states can use "Police Power" that is why there is no "Government Police". The government is allowed to investigate then take it to the states to police or courts to enforce. This is not what our government is doing, and we all know it. But the left is crying that what Arizona is doing is unconstitutional.

It will be interesting to see what happens in court.
Jean
It is a simple answer , It will remain ON ICE , in Limbo and unenforced , the first lib judge will render it moot until appeal

Any guesses on how many YEARS it will take this to get to the SC ?

If an appeals court (9th) doesn't strike it down first
Old 05-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Continent Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa today View Post
Jean
It is a simple answer , It will remain ON ICE , in Limbo and unenforced , the first lib judge will render it moot until appeal

Any guesses on how many YEARS it will take this to get to the SC ?

If an appeals court (9th) doesn't strike it down first
Even if the 9th Circus Court of Schlemiels strikes it down it can still be appealed to the Supreme Court. So the law very well could be put on ice for a while, but I think it will have a much better chance of being upheld by the Supreme Court than any of the lower courts.

Ich Bin Ein Arizonan!

"I entirely reject the concept, however, of "anchor babies." If parents are found to be here illegally, then the whole family, children as well, should be sent back to the parents' country of origin."
Old 05-31-2010, 06:01 AM

The important thing is that the Arizona immigration law is forcing the hand of governmental obstructionists and encouraging others to act according to their convictions.

It's great that someone in a state government finally had the balls to bring the issue to the forefront.

Hay burros en el maiz

Don't drink and post.