Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Priority Topics Section > The Economy

The Economy Topics and information relating to the economy affecting SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2010, 06:08 PM

Default Illegal and Legal Immigrants Get Jobs, but Native-Borns Get More Unemployment

As someone who was out of work between January 2009 and July 2010 (and is currently "under employed") I can say that unless you speak Spanish in the Los Angeles job market you won't get work! This article from the Christian Science Monitor tells the sad, sad story of the impact of legal and illegal immigration on native-born Americans.

The article states the following from the Pew Hispanic Center study:

Quote:
In the year following the official end of the Great Recession in June 2009, foreign-born workers gained 656,000 jobs while native-born workers lost 1.2 million, according to a new analysis of U.S. Census Bureau and Department of Labor data by the Pew Hispanic Center.
Quote:
As a result, the unemployment rate for immigrant workers fell 0.6 percentage points during this period (from 9.3% to 8.7%) while for native-born workers it rose 0.5 percentage points (from 9.2% to 9.7%).
Quote:
Also, even as immigrants managed to gain jobs in the recovery, they experienced a sharp decline in earnings. From 2009 to 2010, the median weekly earnings of foreign-born workers decreased 4.5%, compared with a loss of less than one percent for native-born workers.
There is, however some good news from the study,

Quote:
Latino immigrants experienced the largest drop in wages of all.
All of this was released on the day that NutMeg Whitman made a campaign stop at Porto's Bakery in Glendale.

My wife recently applied to this location for a barista position. The manager called her and commented that she was well qualified for the position. The manager then asked if my wife spoke Spanish, and my wife said that she did not. She also stated to the manager that she did not find it necessary to speak a foreign language in the United States. The manager abruptly ended the conversation.

What is in store for the modern American worker when he can't get a job in his home country unless he speaks a foreign language?! The illegal and legal immigrants have made it harder for native-born workers to A. get jobs, and B. get paid a decent wage. For many years I have said that immigration was/is good for America. However, over the past 18 or so months that opinion has shifted dramatically to ending, at least temporarily, all immigration into this country.