Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Communities and Quality of Life > Gains and Victories

Gains and Victories Communities fighting back - Citizen triumphs - Holding the line - Making a difference

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 04-26-2011, 10:28 AM

Default Are the Days of Chain Restaurants Hiring Illegal Immigrants Over?

Humor columnist !ASK A MEXICAN! Gustavo Arellano...

I have his book. There is a lot of truth in it, and some of it does crack me up. He skewers everyone from the "mine the border" crowd to the most die hard, self deluded old school Mechista.

This offering seems to be on the serious side.
Quote:

Are the Days of Chain Restaurants Hiring Illegal Immigrants Over?

By Gustavo Arellano, Wed., Mar. 9 2011 @ 11:00AM
Comments (24)
Categories: Chain Reactions, Indigestion, Mexi Meals

Back in my Anaheim High School days, students who worked did so at one of two spots: the Carl's Jr. on Broadway and Harbor Boulevard, or the Family Fun Center (which mostly hired people from Valencia High, but that's another story). Imagine my surprise five years after graduation, when most of the Carl's employees were adult Mexicans. I'm not the one who did the hiring, but let's just say I knew more than a few illegal immigrants who worked at Carl's, McDonald's and other chain restaurants--and that the people who hired them knew exactly what the legal status of their employees are.

I don't care who hires who, of course, being an Aztlanista and all. But the days of chain restaurants hiring illegal immigrants are probably over.

For the past couple of months, Chipotle has been firing employees who can't verify their legal status, much to the consternation of immigrant advocates, who rightly point out that Chipotle can't claim ignorance. It's gotten so bad that Chipotle workers are now quitting before the feds get at them.

Nation's Restaurant News did a story on the trend earlier this week, with Pei Wei playing the ignorant part. Instead of throwing their workers under the bus, they, Chipotle and others should stick by their employees--yeah, right. . . .

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickafork...n_restaura.php

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 04-26-2011 at 10:33 AM.