Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Associates in Action

Associates in Action SOS associates may propose events, activities and projects in the pursuit of our agenda.

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 01-17-2010, 09:59 AM

A great rally. Compliments and thanks to all.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:33 AM

Minutemen rally against amnesty

About 125 anti-illegal immigration activists protest in Valencia

Jamiel Shaw gives an impassioned speech at an anti-illegal alien rally held at the corner of Valencia Boulevard and Magic Mountain Parkway on Saturday. Shaw's son, Jamiel Shaw II, 17, was shot to death in 2008 by an illegal alien who had an extensive police record and was released from custody the same day as the shooting.

By Josh Premako
Signal Senior Writer
jpremako@the-signal.com
661-259-1234 x519
Posted: Jan. 16, 2010 8:33 p.m.
POSTED Jan. 17, 2010 4:55 a.m.

American flags and "Don't Tread on Me" banners flapped in the breeze as about 125 people gathered Saturday to oppose amnesty for illegal immigrants.

Organized by the Santa Clarita Valley Independent Minutemen, it was the second annual anti-illegal immigration rally held outside the SCV Sheriff's Station at the corner of Magic Mountain Parkway and Valencia Boulevard.

A mostly white crowd listened and cheered as several speakers voiced disapproval for both President Barack Obama and former President George W. Bush and decried proposed federal legislation that would give amnesty to the estimated millions of illegal immigrants in America.

"If we would just deal with the illegals we wouldn't have a deficit in the state of California," said City Councilman Bob Kellar, his voice booming through a crackling public-address system. "This is an American problem. We've got to take back our country.

"If I sound like a radical, thank you. I consider that a compliment."

Fueling the recent furor is an immigration-reform bill championed by U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill. The bill proposes a path to legalization for the country's illiegal immigrants.

Local Minuteman leader Roger Gitlin said while amnesty is not the answer, there are solutions.

"Nobody is calling for mass deportation," he said. "It would put the economy in a tailspin."

Gitlin proposed securing America's borders, and initiating an immigration census to determine people's status and whether or not they have a criminal record.

"Let's get rid of criminals and make sure they don't come back," he said.

For the law-abiding illegal immigrants who remain, he said, steps need to be put in place for them to pursue citizenship.

Gitlin used the example of a 30-something house painter he knows, who he said is a tax-paying illegal immigrant.

"(He's) not the problem," he said.

Canyon Country resident Homer Temple said race is not the issue, but the state of the nation.

"It's not a xenophobic thing," he said. "I firmly believe blue-collar Americans ... are pro-legal citizenship."

Mario Alvarez of Canyon Country said he came to America from Mexico City 49 years ago and has been a citizen since 1979.

He said the solution to the illegal immigration situation includes closing the borders and levying fines against immigrants here illegally and giving them a path toward citizenship.

"They should find their place in line," he said.

You must be logged in to post comments. LOG IN & POST COMMENT

http://www.the-signal.com/ encourages readers to interact with one another. We will not edit your comments, but we reserve the right to delete any inappropriate responses.

To report offensive or inappropriate comments, contact our editor.

The comments below are from readers of http://www.the-signal.com/ and do not necessarily represent the views of The Newspaper or Morris Multimedia.

JohnnyCash:
January 17, 2010 - 11:32 AM
"A mostly white crowd..."

Nice objective journalism there, Josh.

Race has nothing to do with this.

This is an issue about justice, sovereignty, and the economy.

Joe91355:
January 17, 2010 - 12:59 PM
Josh

Your reporting on the Minutemen rally against amnesty was so inappropriate when you wrote a "A mostly white crowd." This not about anyone's race because it is not only "Caucasian people" that are frustrated with this issue. Are you gearing up for a job with the LA Times or LA Opinion. I am not with this group but understand there frustration. You are clearly not an objective reporter and would suggest you get the heck out of Santa Clarita and report for a different news paper.

Move on buddy!!!!!

cleowatts:
January 17, 2010 - 01:09 PM
As a black man, I found the comment, " A mostly white crowd," pathetic. I was there with my fellow patriots who want their country back. More biased, and twisted facts reporting by a hack, cub reporter working for the Signal.

Joe91355:
January 17, 2010 - 01:21 PM
You are awesome "cleowatts." I am not Caucasian as well and agree with you that this has noting to do with race. Josh needs to be fired!

Joe91355:
January 17, 2010 - 01:24 PM
Sorry, "nothing"

© 2008 The Signal - All Rights Reserved
Old 01-17-2010, 10:47 AM

I do not agree with Roger Gitlin and his stand on the issue of granting citizenship to illegals that haven't committed a crime. They are committing a crime by being here illegally. And Roger was the one who told the Signal that it was he organized the rally and did NOT mention that is was SOS who actually did. I have issues with that.

Last edited by Jeanfromfillmore; 01-17-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderwatch View Post
Suggestion I received in an email

We need to suggest we start emphasizing the Americans killed by illegal aliens. The Shaws are having some event on the anniversary of Jamiel's death on March 2. I think it involves speaking at the LA County Board of Supervisors meeting - it was so good to see them there!

Maybe at the next one we could plan a special segment devoted to the killings to publicize the number of killings! There are so many deaths and no one keeps track of ALL of them. Especially for the Tea Party people, it would be a way to educate those who know nothing about the killings - which is most Americans.
Robin Hvidston wrote:

Excellent photos! It was a great rally -
Thank you for the suggestion. We will discuss it seriously and see what and where we can apply those idea. Can we call on you for more advice in regard to doing this?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
I do not agree with Roger Gitlin and his stand on the issue of granting citizenship to illegals that haven't committed a crime. They are committing a crime by being here illegally. And Roger was the one who told the Signal that it was he organized the rally and did NOT mention that is was SOS who actually did. I have issues with that.
I agree with you completely. As for The Signal did they not hear at the very beginning that this was an SOS rally?

What kind of newspaper reporting is that?

I am surprised to learn that after having sent emails to the newspaper announcing the rally as an SOS function, and after having worked hard with others to bring it about The Signal gives all the credit to The Santa Clarita Independent Minutemen as it being their rally.

I wanted the paper to give credit to the group that hosted the event, brought the public address system and reached out to everyone...SOS.

I don't know about you guys but I feel that we have been robbed!
Old 01-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Rimo05, will you please look in the garage for my 40 gallon hat, I think I will be needing it today.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderwatch View Post
Suggestion I received in an email

We need to suggest we start emphasizing the Americans killed by illegal aliens. The Shaws are having some event on the anniversary of Jamiel's death on March 2. I think it involves speaking at the LA County Board of Supervisors meeting - it was so good to see them there!

Maybe at the next one we could plan a special segment devoted to the killings to publicize the number of killings! There are so many deaths and no one keeps track of ALL of them. Especially for the Tea Party people, it would be a way to educate those who know nothing about the killings - which is most Americans.
Robin Hvidston wrote: Excellent photos! It was a great rally -
That is a great idea. A lot of people are totally unaware of how many innocent men, women and children have died needlessly at the hands of illegal aliens.

Yesterday at the rally, pinned to my shirt were the picture buttons of Deputy David March and Jamiel Shaw, ll. As the March and Shaw’s gave their speeches, I went around the crowd showing the picture of each of their sons.

As I was talking with the Shaw family, and stumbling over my tongue trying to get my wording right and not just blurt out something insensitive (I usually just open mouth insert foot). Lucky for me Mr. Shaw new what I was talking about and basically finished my sentence for me. The jest of it was, when my son was in little league, the league had buttons made of each kid on the team, and never in my wildest imagination did I ever think that I would be wearing buttons for this purpose. Mr. Shaw stated “senseless killings”.

When I was talking with Mrs. March, her eyes filled with tears, seeing the picture of her son. She said, “I love seeing his picture and that he is remembered.” I told her my grandkids live in San Bernardino and every time going to and coming back on the 210 Freeway, I see the sign, “Deputy David March Memorial Freeway”. I mentioned that when anyone asks me about this button I tell them what happened and I make it a point to say, Armando Garcia was expedited back to the USA from Mexico, wearing David’s handcuffs.

There are no words to express the deepest sorrow, as there is nothing worse in the whole wide world than losing a child. I am in awe of the strength and courage of both of these families and other families that have lost love ones to tragic incidents like this that would not have happened if our government was securing our borders.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:02 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Glory View Post
That is a great idea. A lot of people are totally unaware of how many innocent men, women and children have died needlessly at the hands of illegal aliens.

Yesterday at the rally, pinned to my shirt were the picture buttons of Deputy David March and Jamiel Shaw, ll. As the March and Shaw’s gave their speeches, I went around the crowd showing the picture of each of their sons.

As I was talking with the Shaw family, and stumbling over my tongue trying to get my wording right and not just blurt out something insensitive (I usually just open mouth insert foot). Lucky for me Mr. Shaw new what I was talking about and basically finished my sentence for me. The jest of it was, when my son was in little league, the league had buttons made of each kid on the team, and never in my wildest imagination did I ever think that I would be wearing buttons for this purpose. Mr. Shaw stated “senseless killings”.

When I was talking with Mrs. March, her eyes filled with tears, seeing the picture of her son. She said, “I love seeing his picture and that he is remembered.” I told her my grandkids live in San Bernardino and every time going to and coming back on the 210 Freeway, I see the sign, “Deputy David March Memorial Freeway”. I mentioned that when anyone asks me about this button I tell them what happened and I make it a point to say, Armando Garcia was expedited back to the USA from Mexico, wearing David’s handcuffs.

There are no words to express the deepest sorrow, as there is nothing worse in the whole wide world than losing a child. I am in awe of the strength and courage of both of these families and other families that have lost love ones to tragic incidents like this that would not have happened if our government was securing our borders.
We can put something together up here in Sac to commemorate these people. There's a couple of places to do it: The State capitol, as I was going to do the Agent Rosas event before the weather turned dicey, and there's a strip of good size lawn in front of the federal buildings where ICE is on Capitol Mall leading to the capitol, and it passes right by the police officers memorial.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:07 PM

REMEMBER JAMIEL SHAW, ll?

RALLY WITH US ON MARCH 2ND!

Jamiel Shaw, ll, was brutally murdered on March 2, 2008, just three doors from his home. He just hung up his cell phone with this father minutes before he was shot to death. Jamiel was only 17.

The defendant charged with murdering Jamiel is an illegal alien gang member with a violent criminal history. He was erroneously released from jail on March 1, 2008 for gun charges.

According to the evidence form the District Attorney’s office, the defendant murdered Jamiel Shaw, ll, 24 hours after his erroneously release from jail. Jamiel’s mother was serving in Iraq when she learned that her son was murdered!!

Two years later, the Board of Supervisors continues to ignore the family’s call for an investigation:

Why was an illegal alien gang member with an extensive criminal history, (including assault on a Law Enforcement Officer), released back into the community on a Saturday evening?

Was an immigration hold put on the defendant? If not, why?

Why was a violent criminal granted early release?

Was the defendant on probation when he was erroneously released from jail on March 1, 2008?

These are just a few of the questions that need answering?

The attorney for the Los Angeles County stated to the Shaw Family’s attorney, “This tragedy should have never happened to your clients. However, it is not the County’s fault and even if your client wins, we will appeal because there are too many families who experienced what the Shaw’s are experiencing and too many cases would be reopened if the Shaw family wins.”

Please join Jamiel Shaw’s family as they go back to the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisor’s, demanding an investigation into the murder of their beloved Son, Jamiel Andre’ Shaw, ll.

On March 2, 2010, @ 9:30am

2 years since Jamiel’s murder!

Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration

Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors

500 W. Temple Street, Room 381 B

Los Angeles, CA 90012

For more info go to www. Jamiel’sLaw.com

Together We Stand!

Last edited by Ole Glory; 01-17-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
I checked in the garage but I only found a few signs and those funny hats I used to wear.. I am never sure when you are serious or joking so I will take it as a joke.
Rim05, your presence was sorely missed yesterday at the Rally.