View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
Since I have a problem putting a new bulb in the ceiling, I purchased a couple of those very big, coiled bulbs. They were $10 each but the lighting is terrible, it has a yellow kind of cast. Since they are supposed to last a long time is the only reason I purchased them.

Someone is always thinking of ways to make us buy up a lot of stuff and then try to store it.
No matter what we do, we are a failure.
And I really do hate those coiled bulbs.
That is exactly why the government tried to get the public used to the screw in fluorescent, because the light itself if not as white as the incandescent and will take some getting used to. If the lamp you bought or buy today has a screw in base it is not a true fluorescent, but instead it is that half way crap that the government is using to get us used to fluorescent lamp with their ugly color and less actual light. Those screw in are the ones that are not as efficient as the incandescent that we are used to. The true fluorescent lamps have a dedicated socket, and are hard to find when trying to match them up to the fixtures due to all the different fixtures from all those different countries and the lamps themselves being from so many different countries. But this is the nightmare just down the road.

All those new fluorescent lamps (bulbs) are very, very expensive and the light is really crappy. Remember to look for the Kalvin (K) and try to get something between 3,500K and 5,000K, the higher the better because they are white, but the more they will cost. It's hard to find the 5,000K, also known as hospital white, but 4,500k are not too hard to find and they're somewhat like an incandescent.

But also remember, unlike an incandescent which give off just about the same amount of lumens through the life of the lamp, fluorescent lamps don't give of an equal amount through the life of the lamp. If the fluorescent lamp says it will last 10,000 hours, after about 7,000 hours the lumens (actual light given off) will start to diminish. So you actually aren't really getting the hours the package may say. After about 2/3 of the fluorescent lamps life it starts to degrade. Most people have experienced this with the long tube fluorescent lamps, but didn't pay much attention because the lamps were fairly inexpensive. The new styles are not inexpensive, so do your homework before buying, because replacing a whole house or business can cost hundreds of dollars.

The incandescent was invented here in the USA and now the government wants us to get rid of it. Does that surprise anyone?

Last edited by Jeanfromfillmore; 02-06-2011 at 11:32 AM.