View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 09:14 AM

From the Washigton Times:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblo...bly-shouldnt-/

Quote:
Martha Coakley: Devout Catholics 'Probably shouldn't work in the emergency room'
By Kerry Picket on Jan. 14, 2010 into Water Cooler

How can a Massachusetts Senate candidate possibly offend 39 percent of voters in her state? If it's Democrat Attorney General Martha Coakley, she would tell devout Catholics not to bother working in an emergency room (H/T Jim Hoft - Big Government). In the audio clip below, Ms. Coakley chokes on a question from radio host Ken Pittman referring to the conscience clause. Under the conscience clause, workers in health-care environments ranging from doctors to maintenance men can refuse to offer services, information, or advice to patients on issues like contraception, blood transfusions, etc..if the workers are morally against it. Here is how Ms. Coakley handled the matter. (audio and transcript below):

Ken Pittman: Right, if you are a Catholic, and believe what the Pope teaches that any form of birth control is a sin. ah you don’t want to do that.

Martha Coakley: No we have a seperation of church and state Ken, lets be clear.

Ken Pittman: In the emergency room you still have your religious freedom.

Martha Coakley: (……uh, eh…um..) The law says that people are allowed to have that. You can have religious freedom but you probably shouldn’t work in the emergency room.
I have to admit, if your religious views create some kind of ambiguity in your own mind about what kind of services you offer in an emergency room, then you don't belong there. But I don't see where the issue really has anything to do with emergency rooms. She dragged it there trying to use an extreme example to make her point.

I also agree that any medical institution that refuses to offer birth control to their patients should not be receiving government checks for any reason -- if that's what she is talking about.

Last edited by Twoller; 01-15-2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Forgot to add link to article.