View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
Phil, we are getting along and we're doing fine. Time has a way of healing old wounds as long as they don't continue to be picked at, if you get my point. Some of those you are nostalgic for actually caused the problems and are continuing to try to cause problems. We don't need to be reminded of what we could have been, because we have a goal and the drive to get there just as we are now. Just keep your eyes open and you'll see.
I have to agree. The notion that citizens of the US have always acted together in solidarity for the cause that is these United States of America is simply not true. And it is also true that some of these folks have posed the most dramatically as patriots and "true Americans". After the 9/11 terrorist attack, it was a little strange that right away, there was a mob of people running around declaring that we were all together now and America was back and it was clear who the enemy really was. Stuff like that. And if you didn't respond right away to that, the other folks popped up right away who were saying that it never happened, or it was a government conspiracy, or it really wasn't a terrorist attack. Stuff like that.

Living in the US and making it work the way it is supposed to is all about looking the other guy and asking in your own mind, "Oh yeah? Maybe, maybe not. Show me." Experience instructs best in what is really going on, but experience is sometimes hard to keep track of.