View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
The scary thing about freelance-hood is the spectre of retirement, when what little was paid into SS will be further reduced by congress trying to stretch it farther, and inflation making it less worthy.
Yes, I know. Almost everybody without a government pension is in this boat. That's also a big reason why the government keeps grabbing more and more from us. It's all part of what we fear about the coming collapse.

I mean it's the government coming to take what little we have to pay their people lavishly, and then short change us on Soc. Sec. and in the process kill the economy to maintain the status quo during the productive periods of our lives.

Example: I bought my house in May and my property tax assessment was 40% ( yes that's 40%) higher than the purchase price. I thought I was protected by prop 13, but I wasn't. I appealed it and I was successful, but my point is that they still tried, and they are going to keep trying to get the insatiable money that they need. If I lost I would have been forced to come up with that money to feed that beast, and make it harder for myself.

Their grab for money is really just starting.
I'm not bitter though, I really don't think government workers are going to get those golden pensions that they have been promised. They are going to try though. In the end though the government can only squeeze so much blood out of a turnip, and we're the turnip.

Retirement, I'm not sure that's going to happen for me, I've got two kids in grade school and a lot to pay for ahead of me.

I feel lucky though, I dodged the housing bubble by staying alert, stashed away every penny when the going was good. I've got a good roof over our heads, I'm a sly fox, I know I'll find a way.