View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in LA View Post
I fabricate custom props, costumes and scenery for Ads. movies and theme parks. 85% of this industry works freelance, job to Job, It's almost like being self employed.
Ayatollah what are "gomonths" ?

I've been self employed and "freelance" all my adult life, I'm use to feast and famine cycles. I am quite good "hoarding" during the feast cycle to compensate for the famine cycle. It's just that the last 5 years the "feast" has become a discount buffet with lots of jello and noodle choices instead of the prime rib.
Sorry, but that was supposed to be "6 months".

OK, and now I understand what you do...did....should be doing. That's a tough field in that it is very specific. I've experienced the latter part as well. I make and keep less, and my projects are getting fewer in between. Competition is harsh too, with so many people who used to do something else, now trying their hand at my job. The scary thing about freelance-hood is the spectre of retirement, when what little was paid into SS will be further reduced by congress trying to stretch it farther, and inflation making it less worthy.