View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 10:29 AM

Changing those words are not going to change the actual characters. And the characters are what matters as far as the words go. This whole effort is feeble and vain. We know that these are not acceptable words to use, but we also should know that they were acceptable to many people at one time.

I don't recall the usage in the books when I read them long ago, but I don't think that their usage flattered the people who used the words. If these are to be books honored by the history of American literature, then we need to place them in the context of their times, that's all.

It's OK that somebody wants to release a PC version of Mark Twain's works as long as they have a legal right to do that and distinguish themselves in print from the originals. Abridged novels are acceptable, but we can identify them when they are published.

But actually replacing all editions with a PC version would be a gross violation of the freedom of speech and maybe the legal rights of those who have a right to publish the works.