View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 10:33 AM

Minutemen rally against amnesty

About 125 anti-illegal immigration activists protest in Valencia

Jamiel Shaw gives an impassioned speech at an anti-illegal alien rally held at the corner of Valencia Boulevard and Magic Mountain Parkway on Saturday. Shaw's son, Jamiel Shaw II, 17, was shot to death in 2008 by an illegal alien who had an extensive police record and was released from custody the same day as the shooting.

By Josh Premako
Signal Senior Writer
jpremako@the-signal.com
661-259-1234 x519
Posted: Jan. 16, 2010 8:33 p.m.
POSTED Jan. 17, 2010 4:55 a.m.

American flags and "Don't Tread on Me" banners flapped in the breeze as about 125 people gathered Saturday to oppose amnesty for illegal immigrants.

Organized by the Santa Clarita Valley Independent Minutemen, it was the second annual anti-illegal immigration rally held outside the SCV Sheriff's Station at the corner of Magic Mountain Parkway and Valencia Boulevard.

A mostly white crowd listened and cheered as several speakers voiced disapproval for both President Barack Obama and former President George W. Bush and decried proposed federal legislation that would give amnesty to the estimated millions of illegal immigrants in America.

"If we would just deal with the illegals we wouldn't have a deficit in the state of California," said City Councilman Bob Kellar, his voice booming through a crackling public-address system. "This is an American problem. We've got to take back our country.

"If I sound like a radical, thank you. I consider that a compliment."

Fueling the recent furor is an immigration-reform bill championed by U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill. The bill proposes a path to legalization for the country's illiegal immigrants.

Local Minuteman leader Roger Gitlin said while amnesty is not the answer, there are solutions.

"Nobody is calling for mass deportation," he said. "It would put the economy in a tailspin."

Gitlin proposed securing America's borders, and initiating an immigration census to determine people's status and whether or not they have a criminal record.

"Let's get rid of criminals and make sure they don't come back," he said.

For the law-abiding illegal immigrants who remain, he said, steps need to be put in place for them to pursue citizenship.

Gitlin used the example of a 30-something house painter he knows, who he said is a tax-paying illegal immigrant.

"(He's) not the problem," he said.

Canyon Country resident Homer Temple said race is not the issue, but the state of the nation.

"It's not a xenophobic thing," he said. "I firmly believe blue-collar Americans ... are pro-legal citizenship."

Mario Alvarez of Canyon Country said he came to America from Mexico City 49 years ago and has been a citizen since 1979.

He said the solution to the illegal immigration situation includes closing the borders and levying fines against immigrants here illegally and giving them a path toward citizenship.

"They should find their place in line," he said.

You must be logged in to post comments. LOG IN & POST COMMENT

http://www.the-signal.com/ encourages readers to interact with one another. We will not edit your comments, but we reserve the right to delete any inappropriate responses.

To report offensive or inappropriate comments, contact our editor.

The comments below are from readers of http://www.the-signal.com/ and do not necessarily represent the views of The Newspaper or Morris Multimedia.

JohnnyCash:
January 17, 2010 - 11:32 AM
"A mostly white crowd..."

Nice objective journalism there, Josh.

Race has nothing to do with this.

This is an issue about justice, sovereignty, and the economy.

Joe91355:
January 17, 2010 - 12:59 PM
Josh

Your reporting on the Minutemen rally against amnesty was so inappropriate when you wrote a "A mostly white crowd." This not about anyone's race because it is not only "Caucasian people" that are frustrated with this issue. Are you gearing up for a job with the LA Times or LA Opinion. I am not with this group but understand there frustration. You are clearly not an objective reporter and would suggest you get the heck out of Santa Clarita and report for a different news paper.

Move on buddy!!!!!

cleowatts:
January 17, 2010 - 01:09 PM
As a black man, I found the comment, " A mostly white crowd," pathetic. I was there with my fellow patriots who want their country back. More biased, and twisted facts reporting by a hack, cub reporter working for the Signal.

Joe91355:
January 17, 2010 - 01:21 PM
You are awesome "cleowatts." I am not Caucasian as well and agree with you that this has noting to do with race. Josh needs to be fired!

Joe91355:
January 17, 2010 - 01:24 PM
Sorry, "nothing"

© 2008 The Signal - All Rights Reserved