View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 PM

It seems that there is a significant proportion of Guatemalans and El Salvadorans in the San Fernando valley, and their children are being indoctrinated into the Chicano selection version of "Mexican Culture" at school, much to the dismay of the Central American parents. They have a different version of Hispanic culture separate from Mexico, as do Puerto Ricans and Cubans.

Reynaldo Berrios, publisher of La Vida Loca magazine and author of Cholo Style, is a product of that sort of cultural mongrelization. Having central American origins and a street gangster mentality born of Southern California street fighting experience, his eventual college education fully converted him to Chicanismo - something his ancestors would have been both bewildered by and disapproving of.

As I remember, his ramblings include such gems as a BS rendition of a Chicano version of an Aztec creation myth, which I also believe incredibly mentions Cuauhtemoc. (It's been a long time since I read it, and the book is about 100 miles away in physical presence) and a hysterical claim that "the whites and N****rs are pushing us and our barrios into the sea!"

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 03-24-2010 at 09:15 PM.