View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 10:50 AM

RELATED CONTENT
Kellar's words
* A partial transcript of Santa Clarita City Councilman Bob Kellar's speech at the Minuteman Rally on Jan. 16:

I'm telling you, this is serious. And if I sound like a radical, thank you, I consider that a compliment.

Right here, a moment ago, I mentioned what Teddy Roosevelt said, and he was right on: "One flag, one language."

You know, I brought that up and I read that, that comment by Teddy Roosevelt, at one of our council meetings here a couple of years ago. I said, "Folks, this is important."

You know, the only thing I heard back from a couple of people is: "Bob, you sound like a racist."

I said, "That's good. If that's what you think I am because I happen to believe in America, I'm a proud racist. You're darn right, I am."

What people are saying

"I don't believe that establishing ‘one flag, one language' is necessarily racist. I do believe that it doesn't correspond with the reality of the America we live in now."
- Jorge Mario Cabrera, spokesman for the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles

"Bob Kellar is not a racist. Bob Kellar is an American who abides by the rule of law and asks our government to do the same."
- Roger Gitlin, leader of Santa Clarita Valley Minutemen

"Shame on elected representatives who don't have the intestinal fortitude to address the issue. I will not deviate that illegal immigration is wrong ... That's the way I feel, that's always the way I feel and will continue to feel."
- City Councilman Bob Kellar

"He doesn't represent us well talking that way, and I don't think he should continue to hold office. He's an embarassment to the city."
- Local activist Bruce McFarland

"I believe that each of us individually are responsible for the way we conduct ourselves in office. The public will ultimately decide if our actions or words are appropriate or not."
- City Councilwoman Marsha McLean