View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerailAmnesty.com View Post
That assertion is flat out wrong. You have misstated federal law pertaining to birthright citizenship.

Obama's mother is a U.S. citizen; further, his father was lawfully in the United States on a student visa (two currently irrelevant legal points). Obama was born on U.S. soil. Hence, he's a citizen.

Not only is what you have stated inaccurate, it would be inaccurate if the law was modified in the fashion many border security activists would like to see undertaken. Currently, a child is legally a U.S. citizen if he is born on U.S. soil, regardless of his parents' unlawful residency status. Many individuals feel this is the result of a perversion/misinterpretation of the Civil War Amendments to the U.S. Constitution. They opine that a person should not receive legal residency if born in our country, if one or more parents is an illegal alien. Even under this formula, Barack Obama would be a citizen.

So Twoller, you've got me confused. Assuming Obama was born in Hawaii, why isn't he a citizen?
Ah, Sam, people like the one you're addressing have already made up their minds, so don't confuse them with the facts.

As an aside, this is one of the rabbit holes the border security movement has gone down, and lost a great deal of credibility due to it.