View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetibbe View Post
Be careful friends. Here's a story or two.

My Son just came back from Paris, France vacation. He says ALL menus are in English and French. Further practically all Frenchmen in the tourism business, boutiques, shops, restaurants, museums, tours, speaks English ! Paris was FULL of Americans and Asians.

When my wife and I went to Spain on vacation, Costa Brave, we started at the French border and proceeded South along the coast, stopping at every Town and Village. It's a huge tourist area. All of the restaurants along the boulevards paralleling the beach/sea shore had the menus in Spanish, French, English, German, Italian and Dutch. In some of the restaurants the apparent owner was also waiting tables. I was amazed that he would go from table to table and speak a different language at each one that had foreign tourists.

I would be a little bit careful about developing a strong prejudice against one particular language. There are lots of 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation Latino / Americans and legal residents too as well as lots of Hispanics very much against illegal immigration. *( However, I will surmise that the manager of the pizza place is probably a Latino/Hispanic or somehow connected ).

Pizza Patron Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_Patr%C3%B3n
Manager of Operations - Ernesto Hernandez !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about happy hour in bars and ladies night when the gals all get free drinks? Capitalists park their scruples at the door, not the cash register?

If there is someone to be mad at it is that slimy little weasel Luis Gutierrez, the Chicago Congressman who is promoting a back door amnesty with the present administration.
There is a difference between squatters/invaders and tourists. The town I live in is 85% Hispanic and at least 50% just arrived within the last 10 years; many of the people from this town who were born here have left. Even most of those that are bilingual will speak English ONLY IF THEY HAVE TO!!! They feel entitled to controlling and dominating everything, from entertainment at functions to demanding interpreters at taxpayer expense and playing the victim if not catered to.

Remember one of my closest friends teaches ESL/ELL and in the 10 yrs. she taught it, she could not get her class filled; it was canceled due to low enrollment. Why low enrollment EVERY semester? BECAUSE THEY COULDN’T CARE LESS ABOUT LEARNING ENGLISH!!! This isn’t some Midwest or far northern state, this is California! And she couldn’t keep a “FREE to students” ESL/ELL class full enough to meet the 15 students required to keep the class open. That’s how much demand there is by these invaders to learn English!!!

My mother, who was born in New York, spoke 4 languages; was told by my grandmother, whose 1st language was Polish “When you’re in public you and I will speak English, it’s disrespectful not to.” That’s the difference between an immigrant and an entitlement invader.

Speaking other languages is a bonus to understanding the origins of many words; but what has made this country such a wonderful country ‘was’ the continued goal to be innovative and standing together as a strong force. That is how our citizens thought and what immigrants strived for before this “progressive” crap. Today we’ve lost much of that in this new ‘goal’ to be so worldly, we’ve put the importance of speaking others languages and being ‘tolerant’ ahead of being strong and innovative.

By the way, my mother never used any of the other three languages she knew, never needed them. Knowing another language doesn’t take all that much, you just have to be around others that speak it and in the case of this town the bilingual refuse to use English so it’s rarely heard. Even someone with an 80 IQ can learn more than one language if they hear it spoken constantly. But to be strong and innovative, that takes a country with a common language and goals. I don’t want to be Europe or any of its countries, so if that’s your model for how we should ‘change’ my suggestion is move there because becoming more like any other country is moving backwards.