Thread: Back To Basics
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 04:44 PM
SOS Associate

Default Back To Basics

I know I've mentioned this before, but times are tough for me as far as income goes. No work, means no income. No work also means I have time on my hands, and with no funds to go anywhere, I'm at the mercy of home projects. so I took out our above ground pool, and am building the fair maiden a garden plot in its' place.
Had to remove some square footage of insulated steel panels which were under the pool, and then bring in rich loam dirt from the old swampland that downtown sac is built on to supplement the hardpan we have out here. Fortunately I found a guy digging out under his old victorian era home to build a basement. Lots of free, dark soil rich in nutrients, and very easily worked. Well, it was hard work to carry it back here. Now to build a fence to keep that shoe chewing up, bone burying, plant eating dog of ours out of there.

Speaking of gardening: A few months ago, our lemon tree grew one lemon that had some unusual side growth on one side. I couldn't help but notice that it resembled a vagina . After I showed it to my wife, she recognized the resemblence immediately also, so it wasn't just my male characterisitcs seeing what I wanted to see. I was going to post a picture of it here, but thought it less than newsworthy after a bit. But now another coincidental event has me wondering if our fruit trees aren't sending us some sort of messages. Today the orange tree had this hanging from its' braches, and mind you, the lemon and the orange tree are right next to one another

So gardening is not the only home chore you can do for free. Since June, I have obtained , cut, carried, split, and stacked 4 cords of hardwood firewood. I answered ads on Craigslist, but you have to be prepared to work hard for it. Last year we ran short, and ended up having a long winter (we burned wood up until mid june), so this year I prepared for another long one, and for the year following too. We have Oak, Walnut, and Eucalyptus. The most recent being the latter, one guy was cutting 30 trees down. Between the wood and the dirt, I'm stretching my aging body's limits I think. 4 cords of wood takes up quite a bit of space I came to find out. I had to stack it in little spaces here and there all over the yard, and as the picture shows, I still have about 3/4 cord to split and stack yet. I have so much wood now, I was thinking about putting a small chimnea in the treehouse and renting it out to a college student

Last edited by Ayatollahgondola; 08-25-2011 at 04:51 PM.