View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 04:54 PM

Majority supports Arizona's new statute on immigration
Rochester Business Journal
More than two-thirds of respondents to this week’s RBJ Daily Report Snap Poll favor Arizona’s new immigration law, which makes illegal immigration criminal by defining it as trespassing.
Citing the lack of federal action, supporters said the law is needed to stop the flow of illegal immigrants. Critics contend it will open the door to racial profiling. The Arizona Association of Chiefs of Police opposed the bill, saying the law would make it more difficult for police to carry out their other duties.
Among other provisions, the law requires law enforcement officers to “reasonably attempt” to determine the immigration status of a person involved in a “lawful stop, detention or arrest.” An alien in Arizona who fails to carry immigration papers required by federal law can be charged with a state misdemeanor. The law also allows Arizona residents to sue state and local agencies for non-compliance.
The law was amended last week to counter concerns about racial profiling; it now says prosecutors shall not investigate complaints “based on race, color or national origin.”
Some 43 percent of respondents say stronger enforcement of current immigration laws, including deportation of illegal aliens, should be a priority for national immigration policy. Sixteen percent say establishing a path to legal status for illegal aliens should be the priority, while 42 percent favor prioritizing both equally.
Roughly 960 readers participated in this week's poll, which was conducted May 3 and 4.
Do you support or oppose the new Arizona immigration law?
Support: 68%
Oppose: 32%
In your view, which of the following should be the priority for national immigration policy?
Stronger enforcement of current immigration laws, including deportation of illegal aliens: 43%
Establishing a path to legal status for illegal aliens: 16%
Both equally: 42%
COMMENTS:
I strongly support Arizona defending itself in the absence of the feds upholding laws already on the books.
--Terry Palis
Infringing upon the rights of those of us who are here legally to find a few who haven’t immigrated yet is a disgusting abomination and perversion of the Constitution. As a wise man once said, “It is better to let 10 guilty men go free than let one innocent man be convicted.” This is the freedom that thousands of men and women have fought for, in every war waged by the United States since the Revolutionary War--and if this law persists, and serves as an example for other states, their efforts will be for naught.
--Steven Smith
Where has common sense gone? How could you oppose a bill that simply states that current law will be enforced? The opposition wants to turn this into an issue about race--but that is not at all the case. If millions of Canadians were flooding into the border states illegally, we should deal with the problem exactly the same way. We are all immigrants here, and no one with good sense opposes legal immigration. We should make it easier for anyone who wants to accomplish the American dream to come here with less red tape and acquire citizenship more quickly. We don’t have to sacrifice the legitimacy of our borders and our sovereignty to meet that end.
--Todd VanHouten
I have never understood why this debate is so difficult. You are either in the United States legally or illegally--period. Why don’t we just uphold the law that is already on the books so that states such as Arizona don’t need to do it themselves? I think people hide behind “racial profiling” to skirt the issue. We need to either enforce our immigration laws or revamp them. Until then, we should uphold the law and trust our law enforcement officers to do their job impartially. I think they can, and I think they do.
--David Wagner
If the feds can’t support the laws, I guess the border states better start before they’re totally run over.
--Daniel Mossien
This country was founded and strengthened by immigrants, and still can be. But everyone needs to follow the laws and pay their taxes. Once they are Americans, give back to the Land of the Free instead of taking from those who work.
--Jane DeMeis
The Arizona law mimics the federal law. It simply requires a police officer, in the course of his normal duties, to enforce existing law. If the law is wrong, then change the law; don’t selectively require enforcement.
--M. Pell, Rochester
I believe we need to work harder at finding a way to accept hard-working and patriotic aliens who desire to be U.S. citizens, especially family members who are separated from immediate family already living in the U.S. Once here in the U.S., lawbreakers should be deported with no right to return.
--Ed Schlueter, president, Medgraph Inc.
This law is the result of pure xenophobia! Who is next? The law requires immigrants to carry status documentation. Does that not mean that citizens must also provide proof of their status when they are stopped? Is this the beginning of a requirement that all residents, citizens and aliens, carry ID papers? We are relinquishing our rights to paranoia and fearmongers. It is time to demonstrate that we value our precious rights. Start by boycotting business and travel in Arizona!
--Lola Kelly
It is amazing how quickly America has forgotten where it came from. After just over 200 years of “nationhood,” several spoiled generations no longer realize that they are on this beautiful continent only because of immigrants. The indigenous persons of “America” are the ones who had bad immigration laws. What is proposed is simply a crime against humanity. Apparently, the “Land of Opportunity” is only for those who are already here. Shame on any citizen or politician who would even consider such legislation.
--Scott Brant
If, by stronger enforcement of current immigration laws, you mean policing those who hire and often exploit undocumented immigrants, then I support it. Deportation is a part of it, but the main issue is removing the attractant, namely, the jobs that the immigrants are taking. I think we, as a nation, should face the facts that the problems of border states and illegal immigration are largely of our own making. We send weapons to Mexico, we consume lots of drugs that are imported through Mexico and we have lots of employers who would rather hire an undocumented person because he/she is easier to exploit and pay a substandard wage. In this light, the Arizona law reflects scapegoating--as we know, scapegoating is displacement and never solves the real issues.
--Richard A. Holub, Ph. D.
Wow! They stepped up to the plate and decided to “criminalize” something that is illegal. God help us if they decide to start fining businesses that employ immigrants. Oh right, I forgot a word in there: “illegal.” We already have a “path to legal status.” Start the paperwork and get here legally through naturalization. The United State takes in more legal immigrants each year than all other countries combined. Otherwise accept that you are breaking the law.
--Deven Michaels, Chili
I strongly support any measure to enforce our current immigration laws and to find and deport any illegal alien. If the federal government is too timid to do this and the states are willing to step up to the plate, then let them have at it. This also includes the finding and legally processing any criminal aliens. Now with that said, I recognize that there are some illegal aliens in this country who are contributing to our society and trying to be responsible and self-supporting individuals. For these people, then let’s find a way to put them on the path to citizenship. This policy has both pluses and minuses. First, it will serve to reduce the burden on our infrastructure, i.e. hospitals, clinics, non-profits, etc. Secondly, it may open up some lower-paying jobs for those citizens who cannot find jobs. The minuses are that many of these people are paying into our unemployment and workers comp. When they leave they will not be paying into it and cannot collect it also. On the whole, I believe we should play above-board and enforce our current laws. My father was an immigrant to the U.S. and before he could come, he had to have a sponsor. The sponsors' obligation was to ensure that my father got a job and would not be a burden to society. That I like, as well as the background checks to keep out the criminals. Aliens can contribute to our society. Let’s get rid of the scofflaws and help the decent ones stay.
--Bob Stein
If you come to this country with the intent of overstaying your visa, or entering illegally, you should be subject to the laws currently on the books, which work fine if the judicial system had the balls to enforce it.
--Jim Duke
The problem with America today is we forgot what the word illegal means.
--Ron Borden
It is illegal, to be illegal.
--Bruce Basile, USA Mobility
It's a complex issue, but the federal government said it would take it on, and they must.
--Emily Neece
Since 1875, we have had immigration laws. Our first priority is to stem the flow of illegal aliens at the border. Once we have that problem solved, we can deal with the problem of illegal aliens. President Reagan's amnesty program begot more illegal aliens. After the Southern Border is under control we can adopt a policy similar to the Mexican policy on aliens. Then we can privatize the alien worker program, since the U.S. government has shown no ability to do it.
--Clifford Jacobson, WebHomeUSA.com