View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PochoPatriot View Post
I don't think that genetics has anything to do with this issue. There are a number of Latinos, including myself, out in the world that are intelligent and had no language skill issues. The issue is very simply culture. The Latino culture does not appreciate education. They believe in hard physical work. There is a general disdain for people that do not engage in physical labor. There is also a general fear that their children will "forget their roots" disdaining the culture and becoming "Americanized."

All this talk about genetics really causes me concern because the Latinos are not stupid. All one has to do is look at the numbers of Latinos who have become successful. In those families we see one common thread, that is the valuing of education by the parents. These parents have abandoned the old mindsets and have insisted that their children take advantage of the opportunities that would never be afforded to them in Mexico or any other Central American banana republic. Immigrant parents who understand that the key to getting ahead in America is to get an education all have descendants who are not educated.

I see the current crop of children as no different than the first wave of non Anglo-Saxon immigrants that hit America in the late 1800s to early 1900s. Many of these children are bilingual. As were most Jewish, Irish, Italian, German, Russian, Swedes, Poles, Norwegians, etc. As are most of the Asian, African and Central Americans we have now. It is not genetics. They are not some inferior ethnicity, with which mass deportations is some sort of final solution. No, they are people. They are misguided people, but they are people.

The general rule that Latinos do not value education, is not an issue that is relegated to Latinos only. There are blacks that do not value education, and there are, I dare say, whites that do not value education. However, when an education is valued than you see the rise of a people group up from poverty and into the middle class.

This is not a genetic issue. It is a cultural issue, and that issue will not go away until the illegal invasion is stopped, and the immigrants we have now are assimilated into American culture.
I don't think that every Latino family has damaged genes in this area but there are definitely a number out there.

Culture I agree is a factor but even there we have a good number of latinos around the world that excell in just about everything.

What do you mean by assimilating the immigrants already here? Are you talking about the illegal aliens that are here?