View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 07:56 AM
SOS Associate

Default Subungual Hematoma: Common and Painful

This subject came up while I was speaking with someone via cellphone recently. I had suffered a firm whack on my thumb ealier, and the throbbing and swelling made it hard to push the cell buttons. Many of us have had this happen, and while I have suffered it many times, I learned how to mitigate the damage from a similar injury around 35 years ago. Just thought I'd pass this along since our crowded emergency rooms have curbed the desire to seek help there. letting a bad one go can extend the pain for several days. Here's a quick review:

Quote:
Subungual Hematoma Overview
A subungual hematoma is a collection of blood in the space between the nailbed and fingernail. Subungual hematoma results from a direct injury to the fingernail. The pressure generated by this collection of blood under the nail causes intense pain.

The following are commonly used methods for draining your hematoma:
Cautery: A battery-operated device is used to burn a hole in the nail until the blood is reached and drains out the hole.
Needle: A large diameter needle is used to drill or bore into the nail to create a hole to allow the blood to drain out.

Paper clip: This technique, although an older one, is still used by some practitioners. A paper clip is opened so that the pointed end is free. Then the pointed end is heated up, usually by passing it through a flame, and used to burn through the nail. This technique uses a combination of the cautery method and the needle method.
My personal recommendation is for the hot poker device of whatever kind you can muster. Using the sharp knife is adding misery to suffering in my opinion, and compounded exponentially by the dullness of the cutting tool. But your poker must glow red hot, or you'll prolong the event and extend the fear. In many if not most cases, the peircing will bring immediate results as far as relieving the pain. The throbbing will usually subside in less than an hour, but it will remain sore to the touch and use for a day or more. Take it from an experience klutz; Learn this procedure and save yourself a lot of time holding your hand or toe above your heart.

Pictures of the injury:
http://www.dermnet.com/Hematoma-Splinter-Hem

This has been a public service message for the soon-to-be-dismissed middle class healthcare users.