View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 01:55 PM

Anita shaw: Yes. First i would like to say thank you for letting us be able to speak here today. And i have a prepared speech that i have i wanted to say. First and foremost i would like to take the time to thank the los angeles county board of supervisors for allowing my family and myself to speak here today.

Two years ago today our life stopped. And nothing has been normal since that day. With that i am saying that because that's when my son was murdered while i was in iraq. With that said, i am here to help anyone that i can to prevent this from ever happening again. The system that is supposed to protect the citizens of los angeles is broken and must be repaired.

In 2003, a memorandum of understanding, m.o.u. 287-g was created for guidance regarding the use of race by federal law enforcement agencies dated june 2003. Participating of los angeles county sheriff's department personnel will performing several immigration enforcement functions, first and not limited to interrogation in order to determine probable cause for immigration violation. The authority and power to interrogate any alien as to his rights to be in or remain in the united states of america. Bless you.

March the first, an illegal alien, known gang member of the 18th street gang was released from los angeles county jail. He served 180 days for a 245 pc, assault on a peace officer. On march the second, that same person gunned down my son, jamiel andres shaw, ii.

My time is expired.

Sup. Molina, chair: That's all right. Go ahead. Continue.

Anita shaw: Okay. He was only 17 years old. And as i said, i was serving my country at the time and was rushed back as quickly as possible because i was in baghdad, iraq. My question is: Why? Why did this have to happen? If the m.o.u. Was doing what they were supposed to do, the guy wouldn't have had killed my son. That's all.

Sup. Molina, chair: Thank you, ms. Shaw. Jemiel shaw?
Anita shaw: Yes. Jamiel andre shaw, ii.