View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
It sure would be nice if some of the non-racist Mexicans would start speaking out against the same ones who are trying to take our free speech. I'm hearing mostly crickets chirping when it would normally be a good time for them to chime in. When it was our turn...when all the nazis, white nationalists, supremacists, and separtists were trying to join us as if we were all one big happy family, we made no bones about who we were, and that they weren't us. Mexicans do not reciprocate in like fashion, and that is what inspires the painters with the wide brush.
I don't have an answer for this. I do know that there are all different types of thinking and concerns across the board with people who are termed "Hispanic". I see a lot of conflict in many of the generations further away from the ancestral countries, sometimes in the first generation. I've known first born in America people of various ages - from old to young - who have expressed vehemence concerning illegals and disdain brown racists, but most who have that feeling have parents who came the right way. Others I've seen who may be fifth generation babble about how they are discriminated against because they are "Mexican", but others will say that such talk is an excuse for personal inferiority or laziness. I'm of the opinion that such a person is usually an asshole who offends people.

I've also heard people who grew up decades ago during a time when genuine white racism was a sort of unwritten public policy and whose parents were from Mexico say things like "the Mexicans brought soccer here when they came". It has been surreal to know people who disdain illegals from Mexico, but have so much of Mexico in their beings and around their houses - and illegals disdain them as well.

I have even met a few Mexican nationals who put down the free loaders, shameless opportunists, those who fail to become educated and believe that people who come to this country should learn the language and learn to be a part of American society - some saying it with varying degrees of English fluency. And it's often said with a "Don't get me wrong, I am proud to be Mexican and I love my culture, but..." somewhere in the conversation.

Maybe a lot of it has to do with many being derived from two cultures but belonging to neither one, I don't know. I see the contradictions every day in my own house. I have seen it in others, from long time friends to people I've just met.

And even with the brown American racists who babble so much about how Mexican they are and how much they "Love our beautiful Mexican culture", just ask them if they were to go to Mexico just how Mexican would they be in that country. It doesn't matter what answer they give you in return, they know for a fact that they would never be considered to be Mexican in Mexico - too much American taint which can never be scrubbed off.

I don't have a definitive answer for why more might not speak up, but I do believe that the broad brush painters do cause many who otherwise would have something to say to step back from it all and just let things take its course. Why help someone who hates you even more than the problem itself without understanding the slightest about you, much less have met you? And maybe third or fourth hand memories through the generations sometimes play a part in that thought as well.

I don't know.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 10-05-2011 at 09:39 PM.