View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 02:42 PM

L.A. Daily Newspaper "Opinion Section"

Not acceptable
Santa Clarita city councilman should apologize for `racist' remark or resign
Updated: 01/26/2010 04:29:45 PM PST

SANTA Clarita City Councilman Bob Kellar says his frustration over stalled immigration reform justifies his comment that he's a "proud racist." Kellar recently defended his self-description, made during a Jan. 16 anti-immigration rally, to the Daily News.

We're going to give the longtime city councilman the benefit of the doubt and assume he doesn't quite understand the term he's so blithely adopted.

Here's how Merriam-Webster defines a racist: "A belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race."

We hope that Kellar was employing a bit of dramatic license when he used that term. We hope his comments were off the cuff, and that he really doesn't think the failure of the federal government to address out-of-control immigration justifies the mistreatment of nonwhite people.

If so, we encourage him to apologize to all Americans for the harm he's done to immigration reform by further polarizing the debate. Then he should apologize to the residents of Santa Clarita. No doubt this story is going to go nationwide; when it does it will unfairly cast the multicultural community as a throwback to the Deep South of the 1950s.

However, if Kellar's comment truly reflects his point of view - that nonwhite people are inferior humans - he should step down. This is the 21st century, and it's unacceptable for public leaders to use that kind of talk.

Ultimately, Kellar's comment will mean little in the larger immigration reform debate. But it does illustrate the very reason that Congress keeps shying away from reform. Zealots on both sides of the issue have hijacked reasonable solutions with their racism-tinged rhetoric.

Illegal immigration is an economic and security crisis, and needs immediate and sensible solutions. But, too often, the discussion is clouded by an undercurrent of intolerance of Latinos and their culture that derails civilized discussion.

Kellar's comments brought that undercurrent to the surface. He did no favors to himself or his cause; the only beneficiaries are his opponents, who always suspected that anti-immigrant activists harbored bigoted beliefs.

Kellar needs to apologize for this comment, or step down.

Jay Buchanan
Royal Oak, MI
Reply »
|Report Abuse
22 hrs ago What a principled stand you journalists take. Let's take a look at that definition again:A belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. Gee, that sure does sound like an indictment of a certain race-based group that advocates on the basis of racial solidarity but I hardly ever hear one word from leftist journalists: La Raza.
Be Clear
Glendale, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
22 hrs ago This sadly distorts what the councilman said and he should be given space to dispute it. What he really said, boiled down, is that he'd proudly accept the "racist" label if anti-Americans and pro-illegal-immigration groups again play the Race Card to misrepresent his sensible American patriotism as racism.
Mike
Burbank, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
21 hrs ago Mexicans are the most racist people out there. How do I know? I am of Mexican decent but was born and raised in this country. I hear it all the time. MALDEF ever hear of them?? For the race everything, outside the race nothing..Isnt that racism. Who ever wrote this article must resign immediately!!! Poor journalism by the Daily News!!
Beast
Los Angeles, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
21 hrs ago Typical Daily News garbage, who wrote this garbage? If the councilman has the integrity to not be politcally correct as to not offend anyone, then maybe he is someone worth listening to. He spoke on what the large majority of people feel in this country, and I applaud him for his courage to speak as he did. If you disagree with a minority you are labeled a racist, so he called their bluff.
Mike
Burbank, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
21 hrs ago Im sorry but I stated earlier that MALDEF was the organization that says for the race everything, outside the race nothing? No MECCHA is the organization that says that, but MALDEF is another racist organization that im sure has the same views. Who is the moron who wrote this article??
cjh
Los Angeles, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
21 hrs ago If anyone non white had said that, they would have been applauded. As Be Clear said, his comment was misunderstood. Everyone heard "racist" and stopped listening. He owes no one an appology. This is America. Free speach and the right to our own opinions.
Doug
Malibu, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
20 hrs ago Are you saying that there is a possibility that Kellar does not know what "racist" means? If that is true then he should step down on the ground that he is not intelligent enough to be a councilman.
American Pride
Los Angeles, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
20 hrs ago Doug wrote:
Are you saying that there is a possibility that Kellar does not know what "racist" means? If that is true then he should step down on the ground that he is not intelligent enough to be a councilman.
TRY reading the ORIGINAL stoty before you think he needs to step down. If you think that Americans who stand up for America cant say how they feel, then your the one who needs to look at himself...

American Pride
Los Angeles, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
20 hrs ago For the Daily News not saying his exact words that started the whole thing...YOUR PRETTY SAD for a newspaper reporting on this subject!
jacob ilan
North Hollywood, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
19 hrs ago Regarding:"Not acceptable"
This is absolutely not acceptable for any decent newspaper to print such nonsense.
to begin with, calling those "demonstrations" for or against IMMIGRATION, is an intentional gross misreprsentaion and distortion of the facts, why not call the baby by his real name?
which is:"illegal immigration"? No one in his/her right mind is opposing LEAGAL immigration.
the writer of this "editorial" is so condesending to quote the dictionary definition of "racist",
every little child with half a brain knows what racist means, why wouldn't he tell us what the meaning of the word is, is? The way I see it, councilman Bob Kellar was responding to someone accusing him of being a racist, and his reply was:"If this is what racist means, than I am a proud racist". by the way, the title "racist" is being used very loosly these days by the liberal media, to describe people who don't share their view.
Happy to live
Los Angeles, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
18 hrs ago "Illegal Immigration" has always been a perceived problem and it will forever be in the hearts of the disenchanted! I just hope we will always have people wanting to come to United States Of America. The day we don't will be a sad day.
Editorial FAIL
Davis, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
13 hrs ago You don't come off as terribly intelligent in this editorial--Kellar was responding to those who called him racist for being pro-America by saying that their labels didn't matter to him. This editorial just says "Racist bad, reasonable conversation good." Apart from being an uninteresting argument (Makes one say "duh") it doesn't reflect Kellar's remarks.
Rough Riders
Los Angeles, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
13 hrs ago jacob ilan wrote:
Regarding:"Not acceptable"
This is absolutely not acceptable for any decent newspaper to print such nonsense.
to begin with, calling those "demonstrations" for or against IMMIGRATION, is an intentional gross misreprsentaion and distortion of the facts, why not call the baby by his real name?
which is:"illegal immigration"? No one in his/her right mind is opposing LEAGAL immigration.
the writer of this "editorial" is so condesending to quote the dictionary definition of "racist",
every little child with half a brain knows what racist means, why wouldn't he tell us what the meaning of the word is, is? The way I see it, councilman Bob Kellar was responding to someone accusing him of being a racist, and his reply was:"If this is what racist means, than I am a proud racist". by the way, the title "racist" is being used very loosly these days by the liberal media, to describe people who don't share their view.
Kellar, who has served on the council for 10 years, made the remarks at a Jan. 16 rally in Santa Clarita, attended by anti-illegal immigration groups and posted on YouTube.

He first referred to a statement from President Theodore Roosevelt that said the United States only has room for one flag and one language. He said he had quoted it at a past city council meeting.

"The only thing I heard back from a couple of people was `Bob, you sound like a racist'," Kellar said.

"I said,`That's good. If that's what you think I am because I happen to believe in America. I'm a proud racist. You're darn right I am'."
http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_14274556...
CompleteTheConce pt
San Jose, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
7 hrs ago Mr. Editor,

What Mr. Kellar said was at the end of a comment on a quotation by Theodore Roosevelt that once an immigrant becomes an AMERICAN he is to SEVER ALLEGIANCE to their OLD country, binding wholy to being an AMERICAN. That does not make one a racist (whereby, he chose his words poorly), but more precisely, a 'nationalist'; one who deems their country to be better than any other on the face of the earth.

If you think not, perhaps you should leave for that country which you have allegiance to and renounce your AMERICAN citizenship.
Mexican
Los Angeles, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
7 hrs ago Happy to live wrote:
"Illegal Immigration" has always been a perceived problem and it will forever be in the hearts of the disenchanted! I just hope we will always have people wanting to come to United States Of America. The day we don't will be a sad day.
Do not worry amigo. By the time this is over, most of Mexico will be here!
Mexican
Los Angeles, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
7 hrs ago CompleteTheConcept wrote:
Mr. Editor,
What Mr. Kellar said was at the end of a comment on a quotation by Theodore Roosevelt that once an immigrant becomes an AMERICAN he is to SEVER ALLEGIANCE to their OLD country, binding wholy to being an AMERICAN. That does not make one a racist (whereby, he chose his words poorly), but more precisely, a 'nationalist'; one who deems their country to be better than any other on the face of the earth.
If you think not, perhaps you should leave for that country which you have allegiance to and renounce your AMERICAN citizenship.
If you support that racist, it means you must be a damn racist too!
Mexican
Los Angeles, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
6 hrs ago Mike wrote:
Mexicans are the most racist people out there. How do I know? I am of Mexican decent but was born and raised in this country. I hear it all the time. MALDEF ever hear of them?? For the race everything, outside the race nothing..Isnt that racism. Who ever wrote this article must resign immediately!!! Poor journalism by the Daily News!!
You are a traitor to your own people!
Ayahuasca Shaman
“Be the change you want to see!”

Since: Dec 08

Albuquerque, NM
Reply »
|Report Abuse
6 hrs ago Here's how Merriam-Webster defines a racist: "A belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race."
----------

That's exactly what La Raza purports.....

.....But the Daily News ignores that fact.

What a joke!

Now, if you're an American citizen,
you're 'racist by birth'......

......What a joke!
Glory
Glendale, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
6 hrs ago No he is an American standing up for Americans rights.
Bureaucratic Mess
Northridge, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
6 hrs ago According to today's front page news -- the people at Santa Clarita city hall weren't fooled by the out-of-context criticisms and don't buy into this LADN op/ed piece at all.

Reader
Oak Harbor, WA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
3 hrs ago Mexican wrote:
<quoted text> You are a traitor to your own people!
"His people" appear to be us, Americans. Who then are yours?
Priceless
Long Beach, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
2 hrs ago If the government was doing their job we would not be dealing with this. A person can only take so much.
twisted
Burbank, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
1 hr ago THE TRUTH BE TOLD...were you watching the news when hundreds of hispanics left their FREE classes to march on the streets of Los Angeles, chanting Si Se Puede, draped in the flag of Mexico? Not to mention chanting they were going to take California back! You are wrong, we should be afraid that our country is being taken over by the ILLEGALS. They do not look like the immigrants of old that eventually became proud American citizens from Spain or Italy. They know a free handout when they see it, they know California is a welfare state that will allow them to live here illegal without any reprisal of being deported. We have a system of coming to this country legally and becoming a citizen and that is what should be enforced and required and then, maybe, just maybe, we will not see the marching in the streets with the flag of a foreign country being flown defiantly. Remember, currently this still is the United States of America!

Last edited by Ole Glory; 01-27-2010 at 02:46 PM.