View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 07:48 PM

I don't get what Barletta is angry about. It's true.

"It’s not the idea for the course that has Barletta, who has one daughter enrolled in the Philadelphia school and another who previously attended, upset. It’s part of the course description and syllabus, which describes Barletta’s view of the city as, “not one community but two, speaking different languages, with different customs and with a fierce mutual distrust. Many observers believe that this state of Balkanization will be the national destiny of the U.S. in the next generation.
Barletta voiced his displeasure Friday at what he perceives as false descriptions of the city and himself.
“I am deeply disappointed that they would allow such a biased and untrue characterization of myself and the city of Hazleton. Hazleton is a great city with good people and wonderful neighborhoods. Like any city, we have faced our share of challenges and we have dealt with them accordingly. We don’t profess that we live in a utopia, but the idea that we have been Balkanized or live as if we are two communities is just not true.”