View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 08:04 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPhil View Post
I wouldn't get too enthusiastic about this just yet, Bear Flag. If the Muslim Brotherhood takes over, it's going to be deep doo-doo for a lot of people, especially in Israel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Flag Republican View Post
All I have to say, is that as a Catholic, I support the Christians in Palestine, and could give a crap about the pharisaic state that discriminates against them on the very soil where Jesus walked.

If egyptian muslims are standing up and protecting egyptian christians, and demanding freedom, then I'm all for it.
I wish we could stand up for our freedoms here without being seen as terrorists by "our" president...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPhil View Post
The "pharisaic state" that discriminates against who? The Christians? What planet are you living on, pal? Israel is our only ally in that region and does what it needs to do to survive. If you want to call that discrimination, be my guest. It's also the only long-standing democracy in the region, and I damn well do give a crap if they become endangered.
Let me put another perspective on this. The people living in Israel were forcibly evicted in many cases, by an incoming religious government, (agreeably more democratic in a procedural sense, but also mainly applicable only to their own religious faithful), organized and protected by a largely outside force (the UN, the US, etc). All this was accomplished under the idea that it was the jewish homeland previously.
So here in America, we have this mexican/aztlan indigeonous peoples claiming pretty much the same thing. That this was their homeland and they want to see it returned to them, including their government (whatever that ends up being, maybe once again democratic, but could also be a form of democracy that applies only to brown people or whatever)
The UN is always taking up their cause (migrant rights, immigrant rights, immigrant justice) and the US is failing to protect our borders as that demographic pours in, just as it happened to what is now Israel. When critical mass was reached, the rights of the previous inhabitants were diminished and dismissed in favor of those of the religious entity being "restored", until certain areas were partitioned off and a new country was formed and recognized by the UN.
What happened in what is now Israel could happen here. What is happening in Egypt could also happen here as a means to propel what happened in Israel. You use the underlying sentiment of hate and disatisfaction with a current government, coupled with the age of social media, and justified by the need to satisfy a centuries old grudge of injustice. You pack the streets with young indoctrinated minds who are egged on and justified by those who hold up their treatment by the government for crimes against the state as political persecution. Maybe some of it is too, all the better for propaganda.

If you scoff at the thought of a partitioned US, look no farther than the thousands of people that filled the streets of Los Angeles a few years ago during the immigrant rights protests. The catalyst is there, as are the numbers obviously, and the majority of them are imports similar to the inhabitants of Israel at the time of the partitioning. My thought is that the UN or whatever other entities that propels these changes in governmental structures just weren't ready for it at the time. In Egypt they were..or are.
If you look further into other counties in that region you'll see the same attempt, Libya, Bahrain, Jordan, etc. It's highly doubtful that all of these countries would experience an uprising at the same time without some outside influence propelling it. the odds just aren't with that any other way.