Thread: Keyboard Action
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 09:45 AM
SOS Associate

Ok, so here's the effort.

Persons in the country illegally have been encouraged to use the Internal Revenue Service's ITIN method for paying their taxes. ITIN stands for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. These are ONLY issued to people without a Social Security Account Number. The ITIN is stated by the IRS as NOT being a means of identification other than for tax paying purposes, and therefore does not get the same protection from information requests given a social security number.

I heard several years ago where a teacher in Texas was being paid by the school district under this program, and as such was working illegally.

So I sent a documents request to the Sacramento County Controller for any and all records of any payments under the ITIN system by our County. Persons using the ITIN don't have to be employees of the county, and could also be vendors, or contractors. Companies providing maintanennce for instance.

In any case, it hasn't cost us a thing to make the request thus far, and although this county is claiming there are none, that may not be true in cases farther to the south in this state.

So my request to you is to copy what I've written and make a request to your own city/county controller. I will be more than happy to assist you in this, and even help you draw up the request and shepherd it through.

You'll find a copy of my request and their response attached below this post.

Any takers on this?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PRA to County Controller For ITIN.pdf (21.4 KB, 708 views)
File Type: pdf Sac County ITIN check.pdf (306.9 KB, 847 views)